Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Headlights
« Last post by auntyneddy on August 18, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
I am surprised JohnAlways changed his LED sidelight bulbs back to 'normal' for his MOT. Our Jazz has been through 3 MOT's since I installed  led bulbs in the sidelights. Twice was through a Honda main dealer and the last through my local garage who tends to be a bit fierce with his MOT's. I did a quick look at prices when Culzean first posted about LED headlight bulbs but the price I am afraid will have to come down a bit first. Some were advertised at 130. I have the upgraded bulbs, I think they are Osram?????? Night something at the moment.
Good post by Culzean and very useful.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Help with identifying engine noise
« Last post by Jocko on August 18, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »
I would get the exhaust checked first. An exhaust place, like Kwik Fit or the like, will just check it for you when you turn up at their door. They will give you a price, if an exhaust is what you need, and you can go away and think about it or even get a better quote.
If it is something serious, I wouldn't want to be driving it any more than you need to. But the more I listen to the clips, the more I think it is your exhaust. Lie down at the side of the driver's door and check the middle box. It is just behind the sill. Mine started off something like that, just before it broke completely. Check the front of the middle box.
« Last post by MikeG1944 on August 18, 2017, 01:34:34 PM »
If you have any mates who have a code reader it would be worth seeing if it throws up error codes. However a good mechanic can usually just listen and diagnose any common problems. Doing it every day they get so used to hearing anything unusual.
« Last post by pg on August 18, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
Thanks very much everyone for your time and thoughts. We will definitely get someone to have a closer look though the next appointment I got was for next Friday. In the meantime is there anything else we could usefully do to narrow it down further?

We'll go for a longer drive this weekend to confirm if it gets better as the engine warms up or not.
« Last post by culzean on August 18, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »
If it gets better as engine warms up and is in synch with engine revs it may be piston slap,  annoying but not going to do any damage.
« Last post by culzean on August 18, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »
Some LED aftermarket bulbs are as bad as HID and not legal for road use because the light source is not in the correct place in the reflector and they cause glare to other road users,  however the phillips luxeon chips are designed to exactly mimic the size and position of a filament bulb,  and take it from me I just fitted the LED bulbs from classiccarleds and the beam pattern is perfect,  with a sharp cut off.   I am leaving mine in for MOT and have absolutely no doubt they will be fine.  Having suffered a lot from dazzling illegal headlights during my long A and B road commute (before I retired LOL) I am painfully aware that I don't want to do the same to other drivers.  They are a useful upgrade to Jazz headlights and it is still possible to fit the rubber seal when they are installed,  I would not go back to filament bulbs,  even though I always used to fit best available ones.

have a look at the PDF photos of beam pattern I posted earlier in this thread.
« Last post by JohnAlways on August 18, 2017, 12:15:22 PM »
just a quick question in case I have the wrong end of the stick. Are these legal as a retrofit as I understood cars are given "Type Approval" with compulsory equipment like lights, brakes, emissions etc as per their specification as they appear on the dealers forecourts etc brand new. Changing the headlight bulbs to that not specified possibly changes the certification for the vehicle. I used to fit LED sidelight bulbs but back to the original 501's for MOT and then change back again. Whilst I like the idea of LED headlights as a retrofit would I again be changing them at MOT time and back again once passed? Am I likely to be stopped by an over zealous member of the constabulary and liable for prosecution / fixed penalty etc? Just a general question as I like to keep my car legal so the powers that be have no reason to take an interest in me. Can't have them finding the bodies in the boot!  8)  (Joke)
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: new honda jazz
« Last post by Hobo on August 18, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »
Nothing better than an automatic when stuck in heavy traffic on the M25 parking lot and any busy motorway or congested town driving, after driving manual and occasional auto cars for many years changed permanently to an auto fifteen years ago and would never go back to manual, people that say there is no control with an auto don't know how to drive one especially a modern auto car with paddles, if they are good enough for Lewis Hamilton they are good enough for me. ;D
« Last post by Jocko on August 18, 2017, 10:32:59 AM »
Well as a deaf old bugger just sounds like tappets to me.
Tappets don't normally come on suddenly, unless of the hydraulic variety, which these aint. It would probably be a lot easier standing over the engine and listening to it than trying to listen to a recording. Levels are not relevant with a recording.
Best bet would be to get someplace like Kwik Fit to check the exhaust, and if that's okay, get a local small garage to give it a quick listen. Neither option would cost anything to do the check.
« Last post by JohnAlways on August 18, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »
Well as a deaf old bugger just sounds like tappets to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
anything