Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by peteo48 on August 18, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »
Good post Jocko. There is definitely an element of "Back to The Future" about current developments.
« Last post by Jocko on August 18, 2017, 05:05:57 PM »
EV's are nothing new. This is the the land speed record holder from 1899. Speed was 57.65 mph.
Problem was battery storage technology. And we all know what happened next.

The first record holder was a Jeantaud, also electric. Jeantaud started making EV's in 1881. It was 1885 before Karl Benz built what is recognised as the first "production" car (1808 was first ICE vehicle - H2 powered).
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Help with identifying engine noise
« Last post by Jocko on August 18, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »
My cat, after returning old unit, cost me 85.
« Last post by peteo48 on August 18, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »

Being an old fart terrifies me as I cannot grasp all this technology, why o why are manufacturers putting all this 'equipment' into cars. Why not make them cheaper by leaving out the self parking type gizmos etc and why can't we the human being just learn to drive properly. After all we con ourselves into believing we are superior to other life. I can just about understand why a battery needs to be warmed on a cold day to maximise charging, sorry it just appears that Homo Sapien is hell bent on coming up with something new just for the sake of it.

;D

2 things spring to mind as a result of this post. Firstly, the old boy across the road has a top of the range Civic (he changes every 3 years - I think he gets motability) and he found a button that scared him so much he put tape over it in case he pressed it by accident. I think he thought it was an ejector seat!

Secondly, in the latest Which car buyers guide, Dacia come out quite well on reliability and one reason is there is so little equipment there is nothing to go wrong!
« Last post by sparky Paul on August 18, 2017, 03:53:16 PM »
I don't think I would go anywhere near that racket with a stethoscope!

I'm with Jocko on this, definitely sounds exhausty to me - claasic front pipe sound is a low growl/burble, with a clatter when revved. Could be anywhere from exhaust manifold gasket, front pipe joint gasket, front pipe to middle - certainly forward of the middle box. Look for any sooty deposits.

If it is the front pipe, unfortunately it's part of the cat - mind you, they're only about 60 on fleabay for an approved type. Not bad!
« Last post by Jocko on August 18, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »
I watched an interview with the CEO of Good Energy, and she says that energy, particularly oil and gas, is subsidised beyond belief. Witness the 2.5 billion pledge to the oil industry, made in Aberdeen, immediately after the election fiasco.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Haig Dimple Pinch
« Last post by Jocko on August 18, 2017, 03:23:28 PM »
if you need an excuse have one for me.
Will do.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Haig Dimple Pinch
« Last post by auntyneddy on August 18, 2017, 02:39:28 PM »
When my Wife and I were 'courting' back in the 1960's, She lived in a bungalow close to the Thames. Due to the fact of flooding the bungalow was on stilts. Father in Law was looking for something in his store under the bungalow and found a bottle. This is what he told me: He made a batch of plum brandy from plums in his garden circa early 1950 and this one was overlooked.
Being as how one must always get on with one's future in laws, when he offered me a taste I agreed. It was superb, smooth and delicious. And flipping potent.
Not Whisky Jocko but I am glad your Hague was up to snuff and like the plum brandy had improved with age.
I think back to those heady days as now alcohol is forbidden due to medication.
Good on you Jocko if you need an excuse have one for me.
« Last post by auntyneddy on August 18, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »
Mr Trump bangs on about fake news. The learned Professor has told us that the shale gas is a con.  Is HM Government subsidising the shale gas exploration? It really would be nice if the experts would stop coming up with their own particular 'bit' and told us the truth. Not the Professor as what he says makes a lot of sense.
As to Culzean pointing out that the auto braking only works at < 20mph, HOW many car owners read even only a bit of their handbook?  A press hack states so and so car is fitted with auto braking and members of the public forget abut the brake pedal.
Being an old fart terrifies me as I cannot grasp all this technology, why o why are manufacturers putting all this 'equipment' into cars. Why not make them cheaper by leaving out the self parking type gizmos etc and why can't we the human being just learn to drive properly. After all we con ourselves into believing we are superior to other life. I can just about understand why a battery needs to be warmed on a cold day to maximise charging, sorry it just appears that Homo Sapien is hell bent on coming up with something new just for the sake of it.
« Last post by auntyneddy on August 18, 2017, 02:15:16 PM »
If you have checked the exhaust and it is OK and you are still concerned, it is possible to trace where a noise comes from with a large screw driver. Just lightly  rest the blade  against parts of the engine NOWHERE near the plugs and put you ear against the handle, lightly. By moving it around It may identify where on the engine the noise is coming from. Be prepared for all sorts of wierd noises but your particular concern will be much louder. On the other hand if you have access to a stethoscope!!!!!!!
I haven't listened to your noises here as I am deaf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
anything