Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 01:07:49 PM »
The only thing that will get people interested in pure EV is legislation
No. Cost will get people flocking to BEV. Once it becomes cheaper to buy and run pure EVs the consumers will flock to change over. The same thing happened with mobile phones. My first mobile phone was expensive to buy, expensive to run, and the infrastructure was poor. At the time the consensus was, "they will never take off". Now you cannot go anywhere in the world without the common people using their mobile phones. Landlines are old hat and becoming more so. Just as ICE will.
« Last post by culzean on Today at 12:40:53 PM »

'More hype than sales'  seems to cover it,  people buy PHEV for tax reasons,  but no big interest in BEV.

'Tesla is a cult' also rings true.

The only thing that will get people interested in pure EV is legislation,  not fuel economy or saving the planet.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: 07 tailgate
« Last post by sparky Paul on Today at 11:35:18 AM »
I've no experience with the Jazz specifically, but I have replaced a few tailgates.

Usually, the best method is to remove the internal trims from both tailgates, then disconnect all the connectors and unclip and remove the wiring loom and washer pipe from the damaged tailgate, leaving it dangling from the back of the car. Once the old one is free to unbolt, swap the tailgates over - you will need an assistant. Then, use the chopped off loom as a guide to refit the loom from the car to the new tailgate, check that everything works, and replace the internal trim.

There may or may not be a connector in the rear body behind the trim, but if the loom on the new tailgate has been chopped, then the above is really the only option. There's not that much wiring to the tailgate, and as everything is on connectors, it's easier than it first appears.
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 09:38:35 AM »
The latest edition of "Fully Charged" was, among other things, talking about the installation off 350 kW charging stations. Initially 400 charging stations are being installed across Europe (there is one at South Minns Service Station) and these can charge a vehicle from 0 - 80% in 15 minutes. It uses a CCS connector. This is the system that Porsche are talking about in the previous post.
They had spoken to spokesman for the National Grid who says their system can cope perfectly adequately with these systems. The charging station has a 1 MW underground battery pack, which is constantly trickle charged, and when a vehicle charges from it it dumps what is required in the 15 - 20 minutes.
Found this bit on the type of charger we are talking about.

I think they are filament bulbs and they can go intermittent (where the element sometimes makes contact with the internal supporting pins and lights up) and vibration can make them loose touch sometimes.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Middle console is loose
« Last post by philiph on Today at 08:07:11 AM »
Thank you so much!

Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Brakes
« Last post by Molly on March 17, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »

Thanks for the tips on replacing the pads. I shall acquire the tools necessary next week :)
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Are these prices fair?
« Last post by Ben788 on March 17, 2018, 05:01:01 PM »
Prices are not that bad for tyres, do you have 15" or 16"  wheels ? (I'm guessing 15"  as 16" tyres are pretty pricey and it is a rare size).

Are you able to fits brake bits yourself ?

You can get rear discs for less than 40 each from  Eurocarparts or similar, and rear pads as well very cheap (rear brakes don't do much anyway).  I would go for better quality on front pads (and discs if they need replacing) as they do up to 80% of braking - but you can still get good prices. On some cars specially if your alloy wheels are very 'open' (big spaces between spokes) a lot of crap can get on the discs and calipers and cause rusting discs and problems,  steel wheels do protect the brake parts a lot better.   

As far as driving on tyres with 2mm of tread,  I would not do it as on wet roads they will aquaplane easily. 

Brake pads are an easier call as they will work as long as there is material present,  but should not really be used below 1.6mm (you may get a loud squealing around this figure as the 'alarm strip'  does its job and rubs on the disc, as material gets thinner there is a danger of pad steel backing rubbing on discs and tearing up the surface, this will definitely mean new pads and discs straight away).

Many thanks!
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Brakes
« Last post by culzean on March 17, 2018, 04:22:37 PM »
if you are going to do rear brakes you need a 'retract tool' to turn and push the hydraulic piston back in,  I have had one of these for many years and it makes the job easy.  There are also little raised pegs on the rear brake pad backing piece that fit into the same radial slots in the piston face as the pegs on the retract tool use,  make a note of where the slots are on the piston when you refit the pads (one of the slots horizontal to align with pegs) otherwise the pegs on pad backing plate can case a gap between piston and back of pad,  I have no doubt the pegs and slots will eventually twist and line up but much better to try and make sure they do straight away.

The front pistons just push back,  but because of the way the handbrake works to rear pistons have to be rotated as you push them back.   As pistons are pushed back brake fluid will be displaced back into the reservoir so make sure it does not overflow and make a mess (also a very good paint stripper).

You can use long nosed pliers to fit into slots and twist piston back in (RH thread) but I found the proper tool a lot better. Strangely Halfords sells the laser tool above for about 35.
Here's hoping they stay that way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10