Author Topic: Valve clearance  (Read 11793 times)

guest5117

Valve clearance
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
Hi All

The cars now got 6 months with me, and 92K miles. I have been living with a slight starter clutch judder that hasn't gone away with transmission oil changes and I have got used to it now so it doesn't bother me that much any more.

I have read some stuff about valve clearance. That is something I never got done on any of my previous cars. Just want to know what mileage I need to get this done at and how much would it cost. Is it something that can be done DIY. I can do small jobs like change air filter or clean EGR valve, but nothing more than that.
Thanks

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
Re: Valve clearance
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 10:58:32 PM »
There's a comprehensive guide here: http://www.hondafitforums.com/showthread.php?t=1373

Service schedule says check every 25k miles / 40k km.

It's easy enough to do if you have the patience, the time and the tools.

The actual dirty work of checking/adjusting is fairly simple as it's a screw and locknut job, rather than messing around with bits of paper working out thickness of shims.

The thing that'll slow you down is getting the ancillary stuff out of the way to take the rocker cover off. Some fasteners appear to be a little awkward to get at and without the tools to get them undone might stop you in your tracks while you go off and find them if you don't have them.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »
i wouldn't bother doing it if it isnt noisy, they very rarely need doing even when i used to do valve adjustment on my metros in the 80's and 90's but that was a breeze to do with no stripping down just took the rocker cover off

it will be a pain to do as you don't have a manual gearbox so you cant put it in first and push the car back and forth till you get the right location for each valve you will have to use the pully method
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:46:35 PM by monkeydave »

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 12:39:34 AM »
i wouldn't bother doing it if it isnt noisy

That's the time I'd be checking - suspiciously quiet tappets = no gap  ;D

It's just the hassle of taking the inlet manifold off and all that.

guest5117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 07:48:28 AM »
Looks quite difficult for my skills. Any idea how many hours work it is for a Honda Tech?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:37:29 AM »
My wifes GD did almost 90K and mine did over 110K and never had tappets looked at,  I suspect recommending tappet adjustment every 25K at over 300 notes a pop was a work creation scheme to keep Honda workshops busy in the absence of regular work from cambelt changes (Honda cars are so reliable that it must be hard to keep their staff busy). 

You can read posts on forum from way back about people checking bolts that would need to be removed to do tappets and seeing that dirt on bolt head had not been disturbed by application of any spanner by Honda. IMHO  they just leave the car in the workshop all day,  clean it and give it back to you with a bill for lots of money.

If tappets went very quiet because gap had closed (rather than noisy because gap too big) the result would be a burnt out valve and massive drop in performance.

Unfortunately you cannot check if Honda did anything for the money you paid them,  as no visible signs of whether work was carried out -  and even more telling is that I have never seen a post on this forum of anyone having an engine fail due to not having tappets adjusted - Honda say vehicle may fail MOT emissions check if tappets not done,  can anyone tell us if their GD failed MOT in this way, and if tappet adjustment made emissions good enough to pass ?

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »
i wouldn't bother doing it if it isnt noisy

That's the time I'd be checking - suspiciously quiet tappets = no gap  ;D

It's just the hassle of taking the inlet manifold off and all that.

they never tighten if they are going to go off they will be getting a wider gap

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 06:31:15 PM »
Looks quite difficult for my skills. Any idea how many hours work it is for a Honda Tech?

i would leave them alone if you are not confident  you will do more harm than good, i would only have them done if they are very noisy or fail mot for emissions

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 06:41:26 PM »
they never tighten if they are going to go off they will be getting a wider gap

Must have unobtainium magic valve seats that never, ever, ever, receed then. :P

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 09:32:27 PM »
i never had any tightening on metro valves and they had soft seats as it was leaded petrol, they always had bigger gaps if they moved at all

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 11:14:01 PM »
In fairness the Austin-Rover A+ engines (like their A-series predecessors) are OHV with the cam in the block. Add to that a rattly timing chain, wear on the cam followers, pushrods, wear on the rockers, worn rocker shaft, etc and it'll go noisy soon enough. I think it was (latterly) every 6k for checking them.

There's a few less parts in the valve gear on the Honda L-type, plus being more modern and it's 4 times as many miles before taking a peek.

I've yet to find the time to look at mine for comparison, but the general consensus on this thread: http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/40745-valve-clearance.html is that the inlets go loose and the exhausts tight.

guest4312

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 06:44:28 PM »
Agree with monkey dave -leave alone unless confident and able :o

guest5562

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 12:02:44 PM »
This is not priority but I will do the clearances in a few weeks when I've got over the initial rush of jobs. Car's on 91k and I doubt they've ever been checked. Just wondered if the rocker and inlet gaskets are re-usable rubber or do I need new ones? Any other parts needed?

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »
Might need a manifold gasket, but you should be okay with cover one. Haven't done it yet, but about to shortly...

Tags:

anything