Author Topic: GE Jazz Auto Climate on EX Model Blows Cold Air From Windscreen  (Read 5749 times)

guest907

GE Jazz Auto Climate on EX Model Blows Cold Air From Windscreen
« on: December 03, 2010, 06:30:16 PM »
I'm looking for any other views on my findings with the climate control on my EX Jazz. My previous EX a 2009 (Japanese built model) was unfortunately written off in a serious accident recently. The climate (auto) setting on this model worked thus:- set the temperature e.g. 22 degrees, the system would come on high, warm the interior up and when approaching the intended cabin temperature the fan backs off and air output temperature cools off to maintain the 22 deg. If it got to hot the face vents would 'bleed' cool air. Fantastic and a joy to drive in comfort.

The 2010 EX (Swindon built) I have replaced it with is awful with regards to the climate program. I regularly drive long distances to meetings (maybe 200 or so miles one way). My first long distance journey yesterday having had the car only 2 days found me near shivering in shirt sleeves while my feet were toast. The system works thus:- set the temperature e.g. 22 degrees, the system comes on high, warms the interior up and when approaching the intended cabin temperature the fan backs off but the air output temperature stays high. As the interior gets too hot cold air comes out of the demist vents at the base of the windscreen causing cold winter air to move through the upper cabin. Even the steering wheel gets cold, took me a while to identify where the cold draught was actually coming from. This process then cycles cold air blows/cold air stops/blows/stops to maintain the 22 deg.

Apologies for the long explanation but I want to drive the 200 miles in shirt sleeves not a thick coat and this new car won't let me do that.

Have other Jazz users experienced this? has a dealer looked at it? was any rectification successful?

Please let me know before I get a dealer to look at it and then tackle Honda if the dealer reports all working ok. I love the Jazz, this is my 5th one but it isn't a joy to drive with the climate on Auto anymore.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
Re: GE Jazz Auto Climate on EX Model Blows Cold Air From Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:31:32 PM »
I know this is an old topic - but I have the same problem.

Was this ever resolved?

I also sometimes get the interior misting up after a few minutes journey time- almost as if the climate control is set to recirculate (although it is set in Auto). I then have to use the demist manually to clear the windscreen and side windows.

Is there a diagnostics program which the dealer can run for climate control?

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 10:19:38 AM »
My EX is unpredictable for the first 30 minutes after getting in the car. I have no idea how to deal with it. I generally force the temp up in winter or alternatively down in summer to make it react. If you have the ideal temp already set for say a hot day, it wont cool the car down  - very frustrating.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 12:44:51 PM »
I read with interest about the climate control on GE Jazz and it's problems. We do a longish journey once a fortnight and was waiting till we did that to put my twopenneth in. The car is a 2010 EX GG6. When I bought the car, not being very good about reading the instructions on climate control, left it as it was. Last Thursday, was the long trip day and was a bitterly cold so I tried to set the climate control to see if I could improve it. Well, I couldn't.
The climate control is set to Auto, I leave the fan speed a two bars and the temperature at 20 degrees. As it was  bitterly cold day, I set the recirculation and both front and rear screens buttons. After a short distance, I set the normal button where it shows air through the car. This switched the  the recirculation button off and I switched the other two off as well. The journey as always was in a warm car no problems. Even after the car had been standing for nearly two hours, we had warm air immediately.
Could it be that at 22 degrees, the system is trying to keep the temperature at a even level. Consequently when the temperature rises above the 22 mark the cold air comes in to bring it down. I usually drive in outdoor clothes so maybe I do not notice such changes. I will add that I did have to put the fan speed up to four to clear a bit of misting on the drivers window but only for a few minutes.
As I said my twopenneth. Perhaps I am lucky and my climate control is working properly. Whatever good luck.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »
I found that setting the aircon to blow at feet and face level kept me warm. But the screen does mist up in wet weather when coldish.. I just use the  demist function to solve that.

If you don't have the vents in the dash set to blow hot air, they blow cold!  So I set the default in winter as feet and face and fiddle the demist if needed.

guest4324

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 01:47:24 PM »
Generally I don't use the auto function so much. I normally have temp set to 20°, a/c off, fan on 1 or 2 bars, air on fresh and direction windscreen and feet. At the moment we still have minus temperatures and snow, and it needs about 10 mins to warm up nicely driving on b-roads/a-roads. If it's very wet outside and I have others in the car then I put need to put the a/c on to keep the windows from misting up. In summer I pretty much do the same unless it's really hot, then I use the a/c as well with 3 or 4 bars but I find this has an effect on the pulling power.

I run the a/c about once a month to keep it fresh.

guest907

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 12:52:26 AM »
Yes an old post and the car in question has long gone. Its replacement, another Swindon built Jazz however bleeds air from the face vents to reduce the temperature...same as the original climate model...and not from the windscreen demist vents.

Unfortunately 2 years on this one is going soon and looking for another...haven't the prices gone higher, but I notice the trade in price remains the same (more to change)!

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 12:45:57 PM »
I have come to the conclusion the Auto Climate Control is much, much, much cleverer than I am.

The cold hands problem was solved quite easily by adjusting the central vents away from my hands and towards the centre of the car! Operator error!

The misting may be caused by the occasional and particular (British?) weather conditions at the time.

If it is cold, and there is a heavy rain shower followed by bright sun and the door is opened and shut soon after the shower and yet in bright cold sunshine, the warmer interior quickly picks up the moisture in the air whilst the outside of the windscreen is still cold. The sun sensor registers the sun and, presumably, assumes the windscreen is getting warmth so the fan is directed to the floor. However the windscreen is actually cold and the warm moist interior air inside the car thus condenses on the inside of the windscreen. Using the manual demister override quickly resolves this relatively rare occurrence.

As far as I can see there is only one temperature/ humidity sensor which is low down by the driver's left knee and well away from the windscreen.

Generally, I find the Automatic Climate Control to be superb. As they say "Just leave it in AUTO".

Hope this helps the debate.

Tags:

anything