Author Topic: Tyres going down?  (Read 2610 times)

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Tyres going down?
« on: January 21, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »
Hi,
Had my 2011 cvt jazz about 10 months now and I have noticed that the tyres gradually lose pressure, one more than the other,  about 5psi in a fortnight. The garage fitted a new michelin when I bought it and I replaced the other three within a couple of weeks. Is there any history of jazz alloy wheels becoming porous? They certainly look in good condition and as the tyres were fitted at different times at different garages it rules out faulty valves, bad fitting etc., anybody else had this problem?
Chris

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Tyres going down?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 02:45:04 PM »
Hi,
Had my 2011 cvt jazz about 10 months now and I have noticed that the tyres gradually lose pressure, one more than the other,  about 5psi in a fortnight. The garage fitted a new michelin when I bought it and I replaced the other three within a couple of weeks. Is there any history of jazz alloy wheels becoming porous? They certainly look in good condition and as the tyres were fitted at different times at different garages it rules out faulty valves, bad fitting etc., anybody else had this problem?
Chris

I had this on one of my tyres,  the OEM Honda balance weights were 'knock-on' metal clips (steel) that scored the paint under tyre bead,  this allows corrosion to set in and allow slow escape of air from tyre,   When people like ATS put new tyres on they use 'adhesive' weights which may leave a bit of adhesive on the rim but don't encourage corrosion.  if you look at edge of rim where tyre bead sits on the side of rim nearest the car you will probably see some bubbles in the paint.

Both rear wheels are much worse than the front,  which leads me to believe that the rear wheels and brakes pick up all the sh!t thrown up by front wheels, which accounts for rear discs corroding more than front. I also noticed that Honda fit a protective cap over rear wheel bearings,  which they don't fit to front wheel bearings.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:01:08 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

chrisv

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »
Hi,
Thanks,I will have the worst one checked out,
Chris

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 06:25:35 PM »
The first thing you should do is check that the inner part of the valve (the pin you can see in the centre of the valve) is fully screwed in. I always do this when I have new tyres and valves fitted and find that I can always tighten them at least  a quarter of a turn.  My daughter thought she had a slow puncture but it was cured by tightening the valve.  You can get a little tool from Halfords for this.

Tags:

anything