Author Topic: Low temperature effects ?  (Read 5778 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Low temperature effects ?
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:55:47 AM »
Anyone else noticing that some of the electronics seem to be affected by low temperatures ? Did a journey last night where the ambient temperature was varying between zero and -2, I noticed that the Lane-departure warning definitely wasn't working, and the auto high beam seemed a bit erratic, sometimes flicking between high & low for no apparent reason and sometimes being very reluctant to change. Both systems were definitely switched on, and I made sure the windscreen sensor pod was clear of frost. Either they've both gone on the fritz simultaneously, or there's some common factor at work. The obvious candidate seems to be the ambient temperature.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Low temperature effects ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:39:55 AM »
Temperature is unlikely to be a problem in our relatively mild climate. The cars are used in climates far more extreme than the UK. How about Arizona in summer or Canada in winter.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:41:42 AM by Deeps »

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:00:17 AM »
The cars are used in climates far more extreme than the UK. How about Arizona in summer or Canada in winter.
True, but cars are designed for different markets with various country-specific adaptations. I doubt that UK spec includes full winterisation that would be included on a Fit intended for sale in, say, Alaska.

But I don't really want to get into that sort of debate, I was just reporting something I noticed and wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »
-30 to +80C UK testing should cover most of the UKs climate. :-)

http://creativity-online.com/work/honda-civic-hot-and-cold/36841
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:24:39 AM by Deeps »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 12:47:11 PM »
Could there be some internal ice or just the cold affecting the camera (although the car should give a warning about this)? I suspect the climate testing doesn't include these gizmos. Was the journey long enough to ensure that the equipment in the sensor housing would have warmed up?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 02:26:34 PM »
I think I've worked out what was going on, and John's right. Looking at the sensor windows from the outside this morning, there was clearly condensation inside in front of the cameras. As I drove along and the car warmed up in the sunshine, a dribble of water appeared on the inside of the windscreen coming from the sensor housing. So clearly water had got inside somehow, condensed, and froze on the inside. Last night's journey was about 30 mins, so maybe not long enough for the cabin heat to penetrate into the housing, and the car didn't give any warnings about systems being impaired.

I'd have hoped the pod would be sealed to the screen to prevent this, but clearly not (I suppose there has to be a small vent hole somewhere to equalise pressure, which of course can also admit moist air). So, despite whatever cold weather testing might or might not have been done, this looks like something to be aware of in freezing weather. I'd still be interested in knowing whether anyone else has seen this, or if anyone's driven in sub-zero temperature and not seen it. That might help me decide whether it's a fault that needs attention under warranty.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 02:48:14 PM »
I think I've worked out what was going on, and John's right. Looking at the sensor windows from the outside this morning, there was clearly condensation inside in front of the cameras. As I drove along and the car warmed up in the sunshine, a dribble of water appeared on the inside of the windscreen coming from the sensor housing. So clearly water had got inside somehow, condensed, and froze on the inside. Last night's journey was about 30 mins, so maybe not long enough for the cabin heat to penetrate into the housing, and the car didn't give any warnings about systems being impaired.

I'd have hoped the pod would be sealed to the screen to prevent this, but clearly not (I suppose there has to be a small vent hole somewhere to equalise pressure, which of course can also admit moist air). So, despite whatever cold weather testing might or might not have been done, this looks like something to be aware of in freezing weather. I'd still be interested in knowing whether anyone else has seen this, or if anyone's driven in sub-zero temperature and not seen it. That might help me decide whether it's a fault that needs attention under warranty.

It is things like this that bother me about autonomous vehicles. Snow, ice or mud on sensors can cause all sorts of problems (even a leaf stuck to a sensor face,  or bird poo).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 02:54:32 PM »
If you are getting that amount of condensation in your car I assume you are not using your air con. Although it does not work at temperatures below about 4°C using it does help keep the inside of the car dry.

guest1372

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 03:09:01 PM »
If you are getting that amount of condensation in your car I assume you are not using your air con.
My car car when parked outside (facing North mostly) gets a lot of windscreen condensation overnight in winter, I assume they all do. 
--
TG

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »
Are you sure you do not have a leak? My cars live outside, a few hundred miles north of Watford, and a thousand feet above sea level. I don't have condensation in my cars.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 10:20:35 AM »
I've long suspected that condensation gets into the camera housing. Several times when driving home from work on cold evenings I've had the auto wipers triggering when the screen is already clean. I've never got out to specifically check but it usually stops after five minutes so I think it's the result of condensation confusing the system. It's another reason why I think the auto-wiper system installed on the Mk2 was better. I don't know how that worked but it was reliable and seemed better at adapting to changing conditions.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
Update.
No frost overnight, car parked facing south, nice sunny morning, no condensation evident, sensor windows completely dry, car reporting ambient temp around 4 degrees. Lane departure warning was back to its normal hysterical self, but obviously couldn't test the auto high-beam. Parked north-facing during the day so if there was any dampness in the car I'd have expected it to appear on the screen as the temp dropped, but nothing (so probably no undetected leak). Lane warning system behaved itself on the way home.
So what I experienced last Friday does look like it was due to a combination of freezing weather and normal atmospheric moisture, and if it happens again I'll know what to check. Shouldn't happen though, a good designer would have put a small anti-condensation heater in the pod. At least the systems affected can be switched off if they start misbehaving.

Tags:

anything