Author Topic: Using USB adapter in cigarette lighter  (Read 6101 times)

SideBurns

• Registered Member
Using USB adapter in cigarette lighter
« on: August 31, 2016, 11:53:24 AM »
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 53-plate Jazz and everything seems fine, apart from the cigarette lighter. I want to use it to power my phone, so purchased a Scosche Revolt 2 Port USB Car Charger (USBC242M). The problem is that I have to really push it in and hold it down for it to draw power - as soon as I release the pressure the power connector breaks. I can't see any way of holding it in place given the force that I was having to exert on it. I could hammer it in, but (a) I don't think it would ever come out and (b) I was already visibly pushing the centre console back using just my hands. 

Is this a known problem? Looking at the marks on the charger when I took it out, it looks like it might be the shape of the plastic itself that's stopping it from going all the way in - and certainly measuring the depth of the lighter socket and comparing it to the depth of the charger when inserted it looks like it's not going the whole way in. Is sanding down the charger the answer?

Thanks!

guest1372

Re: Using USB adapter in cigarette lighter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »
A few others have mentioned issues with items fitting this socket, but normally cheap unbranded ones being too loose.  A suitable item has been recommended, hopefully someone will remember it. 
I have no problem with fitting this dual adaptor but it does affect Radio 4 on FM!  My all in one USB/SD/Bluetooth>FM has no problems at all.

--
TG

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 05:02:49 PM »
Yes I had the exact same problem with the Scosche on my Jazz so I filed down the chamfered bit on the Scosche adaptor and it now works fine. The only thing is the filed bit looks a bit unsightly but you dont see it when its inserted into the cigarette lighter socket.

guest6230

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 03:14:02 PM »
Same problem here, I may replace the cigarette lighter socket with a VW one next time I'm near a breakers.

SideBurns

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 11:21:33 AM »
Hi.

Just to say that I took a sheet of coarse sandpaper to the chamfered edge to smooth it off as recommended by tonytan and it now fits snuggly. Not pretty, but not visible once inserted and it saved the cost of buying another converter so I'm content.

It looks like the shape of the bottom of the Scosche caused problems with the shape of the bottom of the socket - the socket seems to have a slight ridge around the edge of the bottom which fouled against the bottom of the converter.

Anyway, all sorted now. Thanks all.

guest6323

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 05:08:33 PM »
Had having this problem with ours so much pushed it in and now think its stuck in. every time I now put some thing in the fuse blows any idea. Want to get it sorted so i can charge Satnav or Phone. Please help. could I just buy a whole new thing and fit it.
rob

guest1372

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 07:38:27 PM »
Had having this problem with ours so much pushed it in and now think its stuck in. every time I now put some thing in the fuse blows any idea.
Sounds like a new adaptor is needed, but did you want a new socket?  There's quite a lot of dual USB sockets that can be permanently installed which might be a better option than the 12v cigar lighter.

Taking out the centre console doesn't require any special tools and is quite easy, just have to tug at some clips in the middle and remove a few screws.
--
TG

guest6323

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 07:45:20 PM »
will have a look for a usb one and then have a look at how to put it in.   had looked at this and it does not look to hard

guest6323

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 08:15:19 PM »
First stupid question. Looking at a USB one on the bay and it has 2 usb sockets. Both say 5v but one then says 1A and the other says 2.1A . I know the fuse ithe the car is 15amps. So is this the one I need / want dont know if am allowed to post link as am new on here
thanks

guest1372

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:53:28 PM »
Relevant/useful links are fine.  1A is normally enough for a phone and 2.1A is intended to charge a tablet, but a phone with gps/navigation running might work better plugged in to the higher power 2.1A side, it will only take the power it needs.
--
TG

guest6230

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 11:08:29 AM »
I've discovered it seems to be the shape of the charger, the tapered ones work fine but the round ended ones don't work well if at all. That's my take on it.

Tags:

anything