Author Topic: Manual gear box  (Read 10192 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Manual gear box
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 10:35:35 PM »
Changing down 6-4-2 seems a good combination.

There is no such thing as a good combination, select the gear you need, you can use 6th down to 15mph then neutral and stop. As peteo48 says, 5th to 2nd for a corner. There is no point in selecting gears you don't need.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:07:06 AM by Deeps »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 09:35:07 PM »
It strikes me that true manual gearboxes will disappear from new cars in the next decade.

Honda's iShift might have been too early/basic but VW's DSG really shows where we're going.
--
TG

I am sure you are right, another take on auto boxes is the dumbing down of driving. It frees up a hand for working the gadgets and texting though. :-)

when everyone has a self-drive car we can all whizz around playing computer games,  presumably some of the games will involve driving 'virtual' cars on 'virtual' roads - I  actually don't mind doing the real thing thank you,  especially when I see the problems car companies seem to be having just getting a few bit of 'infotainment' software to work properly.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 12:04:17 PM »
Imagine the joy of a software driven car, it only needs out of date updates, or even up to date ones that are incompatible with roadside systems and other vehicles. Then of course there are different manufacturers of cars and software which may not seamlessly interact, soon we may have to avoid idiot software as well as idiot drivers. :-)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 12:36:52 PM »
Slightly more back on topic, following my previous post I was going to post this link for everyone's consideration :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=154&t=1402610

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 01:20:54 PM »
Slightly more back on topic, following my previous post I was going to post this link for everyone's consideration :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=154&t=1402610

Accelerator control should be given equal importance with clutch control. How many times do you see drivers accelerating towards a stop situation? You know, the ones who don't plan ahead of their windscreen wipers. :-)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:04:01 PM by Deeps »

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
Manual gear box
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 08:49:59 PM »
Interesting read.

I try and practice my acceleration sense on the way to work. My best is getting from Nantwich to Stone down the A51 about 20 miles, and only using my brakes three times. (And sticking to speed limits)

That was in a CVT hybrid Lexus.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 09:01:35 PM »
I am swapping it for a CVT. A expensive mistake buying a manual.

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 09:56:53 PM »
Sorry you could not get on with the manual. But having had automatics for years I don't know why people would want to play with a gear stick. Autos are much easier and safer to drive.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 10:27:37 PM »
Going back to the CVT may not still be the option.
If it don't work I will have to pack up driving.

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 08:19:38 AM »
Legend...that sounds what I have in my car...

When you changed the drop links do you have to support the axles on axle stands after you jack up and take the wheels of?

Thanks

J

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 08:38:35 AM »
Sorry you could not get on with the manual. But having had automatics for years I don't know why people would want to play with a gear stick. Autos are much easier and safer to drive.

Having driven both auto and manual cars the only reason I would have an auto is if I spent a good proportion of my time in city traffic, which I am lucky enough not to do.  Otherwise I hate the 'disconnected' feel of an auto, and prefer the direct response of a manual box,  There are actually quite powerful motorbikes available with semi-auto DCT box now (think Honda did it first) - but being as changing gear on a bike is little more than a twitch of the left foot why bother (unless you have a false left leg),  there are still not many feelings in this world to match dropping a couple of gears on a big bike and tweaking the throttle - instant arm stretching acceleration - not the feeling of rubber bands slipping and desperately trying to catch up with the revs.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:50:30 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5589

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 09:16:46 AM »
Legend...that sounds what I have in my car...

When you changed the drop links do you have to support the axles on axle stands after you jack up and take the wheels of?

Thanks

J

I believe you were meaning to post the reply in this thread..ill post the reply over there http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8116.msg42936#new

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 11:16:43 AM »
I was confused, now I realise Edam's post is for a mk 3 in the mk2 forum.
I was thinking "didn't know they did a 6 speed manual mk 2"!
As for not skipping gears... imagine driving an 18 speed manual gearbox truck with a two speed rear axle and not skipping gears!
Advanced driving includes as said selecting the correct gears for the speed and road situation.
Thank god for synchromesh!
In the 60's and 70's the gearboxes of some trucks (Leyland as an example) would only allow you to pull away in the gear you pulled up in, you could not change gear unless you physically stopped the engine to select a lower gear. Full crash boxes once you got them moving. You may remember the old films where trucks are changing down forever so you could pull away again!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 02:42:11 PM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:46:42 PM by jazzaro »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 02:45:03 PM »
As a youngster I had a Class one HGV licence and have had advanced driving training. A six speed box is no problem, you don't have to use them all at the same time. :-)

I seem to remember that old Land Rovers had three gear sticks, one for low / high range, one for two or four wheel drive, and a standard four + reverse.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:22:27 PM by Deeps »

Tags:

anything