Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2006-2014 & Insight Takata airbag recall  (Read 156453 times)

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Re: Honda Jazz 2006-2014 & Insight Takata airbag recall
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2016, 07:44:17 PM »
UK Jazz 2002 >2009: 87k airbag recalls from 163k cars. 
But for 2009 > 2014 model years the recalls are for both Takata and Continental Automotive Systems airbag units.
--
TG
So with a 2010 Jazz i have a double chance for a recall. ;)
I just wait as that's all i can do about it.

EXT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.3 i-vtec 2012 GE6
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2016, 08:04:12 PM »
took my jazz for SRS inflator replacement and notice they actually scratched the honda badge on the steering wheel. I was so upset and ask them how they can do so poor job. but they have no answer.
I did contacted honda head office and still waiting for their response ...

EXT

• Approved Member
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2016, 11:26:56 AM »
they responded via email to say that the scratches are hair thin and wear and tear,  . thanks for contacted Honda. DONE

EXT

• Approved Member
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2016, 07:44:45 PM »
Some pics what the mess they made

[attachment deleted by admin]

fatlad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 se
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2016, 11:58:28 PM »
according to my local Honda dealer (Gilders - Sheffield), Honda UK are still waiting for parts & are expecting some through around OCT-NOV time.

the service reception chap also said that Honda UK hadn't communicated with them yet as to what was happening/which cars are involved.

'deny everything Baldrick'

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2016, 11:45:22 AM »
The whole debacle of the airbags seems to be degenerating into a farce. We have dealers who do not know what is going on, some owners have the prospect of two bags being replaced, my letter only states it is the drivers airbag that is affected. It states that in SOME  cases the drivers airbag inflator could produce excessive internal pressure if the airbag deploys in an accident. What is the inflator? and why would it rupture? do they mean the actual bag? Or is it the internals that could blow up in one's face?
It would be nice if Honda got it's act together and told us the whole story. ie is it or is it not dangerous?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2016, 06:50:49 PM »
The inflator is the canister containing the 'explosive' charge that 'inflates' the airbag with when it is triggered by an electrical signal.  Apparently this is more likely to give problems in hot and humid climates, but give today's 'where there is blame there is a claim' climate they will be replacing airbags in Iceland and Antarctic as well as Brazil and Indonesia.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2016, 11:43:10 PM »
is it or is it not dangerous?
I think you are more likely to be injured in the waiting room during the recall, than by a Takata airbag failure, but as it's a possible/forseeable/preventable event, they have to be replaced. 

It's hot & humid conditions that may have affected the chemical propellant where it's been mixed without a drying agent.  When the airbag is triggered this may cause an uneven production of gas resulting in bag inflation at a greater than designed rate or may cause possible fracture of the chemical propellant capsule which has resulted in shrapnel injuries in a handful of people worldwide (over nearly two decades).

As the injuries stem from an airbag deployment the best course of action is not to crash, or keep your car in the tropics for many years.
--
TG

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »
Airbag deployment is extremely violent as neighbours of ours will testify having been recently involved in a collision.
Both said that they had difficulty breathing afterwards and the ambulance crew who attended the scene said that this was quite normal. Both required hospital treatment to return their breathing to normal and both are badly bruised although the seat belts would have contributed to this.
This amount of injury is with serviceable airbags that went off 'normally' so the extent of injury with over effective airbags could be more extreme but, importantly, could still save your life.
Honda are not the only manufacture affected and the urgency seems to be at the same level with all of them and the press aren't making a big thing of it either so hopefully we have nothing to worry about.

Vic.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2016, 02:54:34 PM »
My thanks to Culzean and TG.  Yes, ideally it is best to avoid an accident but I am amazed at how the standard of driving has deteriorated  over recent years. It is almost as if all the safety equipment fitted to cars is being relied on to cover bad driving. Harking back to  Volvo's first becoming popular, people were relying on the advertised fact  that the Volvo was a safe car. Again an upsurge  in accidents when seat belts became compulsory.
I decided to look up the thorny question of air bags on Google. It is surprising that there is little information  for the UK market but our cousins across the pond really have got the bit between the teeth. Their safety people have recommended that people don't use their car until it's fixed.
What did produce a smile were several articles on air bag theft, going back several years up to the present. I know the residents of the USA have a suing culture and they are prone to running into each other but it does beg the question, do they not have insurance to cover collisions? Bit of egg on face if the nicked air bag is one of the dodgy ones.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »
I am amazed at how the standard of driving has deteriorated  over recent years.

Drivers seem very reluctant to signal at all at roundabouts leaving their intentions as guesswork.
Now that drivers are being asked to give cyclists more room the drivers are doing so but at the same completely ignoring traffic coming the other way, they just pull out and look all shocked when they realise that they are heading straight at a car coming the other way.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »
I am amazed at how the standard of driving has deteriorated  over recent years.

Drivers seem very reluctant to signal at all at roundabouts leaving their intentions as guesswork.
Now that drivers are being asked to give cyclists more room the drivers are doing so but at the same completely ignoring traffic coming the other way, they just pull out and look all shocked when they realise that they are heading straight at a car coming the other way.

Vic.

I used to give full signals at roundabouts, signalling both that I was going round with RH indicator and when I was leaving with LH one, you would not believe the number of times people came on to roundabout in front of me, very close - now I don't signal while going round, only just before exiting and I don't get cut up now.

Worst bicycle riders are ones in flashy lycra who ride side by side with each other and won't pull over even though only doing 10mph up hills.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6316

• Topic Starter
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2016, 07:07:57 AM »
Has this post drifted on to something new I thought it was about Honda recall??

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »
The airbag originated in USA because people were not using seatbelts fitted to vehicles (either too stubborn or too lazy) a lot of American cars were also fitted with automatic seatbelts that tracked around the door frame. The airbag is still labelled SRS (supplementary restraint system) as it was designed to supplement / replace seatbelt in an accident - an automatic device to save people from their own stupidity.  It is sobering to see how many people have been seriously injured or killed by perfectly normal airbag deployments who would have survived otherwise,  a lot of women sit too close to steering wheel and have had chest crushed or neck broken as a result - steering wheel airbag sizes were reduced to try to fix this - Just goes to show there is no easy answer.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:31:10 AM by culzean »

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2016, 08:50:57 AM »
How many people have you seen especially woman in front passenger car seats with their feet resting on the dashboard, most cars these days have passenger side airbags and if they went off with their feet on the dash well I think they will be seeing your feet close up for a start...............

Tags: recalls