Author Topic: EV mode  (Read 9450 times)

guest5251

EV mode
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:24:36 PM »
can anyone give me some pointers about getting into EV mode but more importantly staying EV mode,
i do own a hybrid of a different make for 16months so i am use to driving at up to 45 mph in EV but this car seems quite awkward to stay in Ev for anymore than a few seconds .

guest4078

• Topic Starter
Re: EV mode
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 11:55:34 PM »
No. Mine seems to go into EV quite a lot, but as you say for very short periods and at times of its own choosing. There must be a system, but I have no idea what it is. It did it on the M25 at 60 the other day.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
My 2011 doesn't do EV at all, but the one I test drove did.

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:47:17 PM »
what i do find that works is get to 30mph let go of the accelerator then lightly foot back on the accelerator and the car sign changes to ev but put your foot down just a little and your back in petrol mode.
just wish i could drive in ev mode for a decent distance.
our other car is a lexus ct200h and i can drive on the flat up to 45 mph if the road goes uphill a bit then it becomes a compromise between speed and staying in ev mode.

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 09:33:58 PM »
I think this is the fundamental difference between the Honda and Toyota systems, the former is really an assist system whilst Toyota is more a dual power system?

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »
I think this is the fundamental difference between the Honda and Toyota systems, the former is really an assist system whilst Toyota is more a dual power system?

your right as the jazz is a IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) so yes it only assists the clue is in the name .
what a muppet i feel now.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 08:00:01 PM »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 01:14:27 AM »
I had Ev again the other day on the M25, coming back from Gatwick. Held for about 4 miles but my foot wobbled on the throttle and I lost it, wouldn't come back.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 08:18:14 AM »
I had Ev again the other day on the M25, coming back from Gatwick. Held for about 4 miles but my foot wobbled on the throttle and I lost it, wouldn't come back.
That must have been modest speed, slight downhill all the way and probably a tailwind. The IMA motor can only deliver something like 14 horsepower and I doubt if the battery has enough capacity to sustain that output for more than a mile (given the number of times I've seen my Hybrid change from assist to charge when going up a long hill).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 11:30:44 PM »
Yes it was the downhill stretch around Denham, 55mph ish. But I also got a good run on the flat section around Heathrow, about 2 minutes, same-ish speed. I am also getting quite a few instances of EV pottering around and about. x2 today on a41 towards Dome roundabout, downward incline, 40 mph. Also past Harry Potter studios, about 1 minute.  It seems to happen more often when the battery symbol shows pretty full, I have also noticed that the engine shows the disconnected from fuel symbol, but is running at aroung 1500 rpm.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 07:34:06 AM »
Maybe Honda have tweaked the Hybrid computer since mine (one of the first) came off the production line but I've never seen more than about 1/2 mile of EV even when under favourable conditions. I have aksed at the annual car service for system updates but none have ever been offered. One observation is that I have only once seen the battery gauge drop below half. This may be good for reducing the battery wear but means that half of the battery is effectively ballast.

The engine has to keep turning over in EV mode - the motor / generator unit is effectively a part of the engine and is instead of the flywheel.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything