Author Topic: Loosing Power , Jazz 1.4 CVT. 2012  (Read 15012 times)

guest5355

Loosing Power , Jazz 1.4 CVT. 2012
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:05:33 PM »
Hi, please can anyone advise . Purchased from Honda dealer (long way from my home) a 2012 Jazz EX auto, CVT a few weeks ago (16000 miles) full Honda service history etc.
The problem is very intermittent, about 3 or 4 times.
When slowing down, almost stopped and put foot on accelerator to gain speed and nothing happens for a few seconds then it picks up rev's and all is fine, however to-day took foot off accelerator at about 30mph and when put back on pedal, nothing happened 1-2 seconds, then it picked up speed.
The car runs really well and is doing 45+mpg (shopping etc.) so please,  anyone know why.

Regards, R

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Loosing Power , Jazz 1.4 CVT. 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 11:52:25 AM »
First step is to report the fault in writing/email to the dealer.
Difficult to diagnose but may be coil pack or poor fuel.
The fault code will be stored in the car when you next call into the dealer.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 05:10:47 PM »
I suspect the Auto takes time to work out what is happening..

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »
I suspect the Auto doesn't have a Sinclair ZX81 controlling it  :P

Do these have a fly-by-wire accelerator pedal?

guest5355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:33:09 PM »

Hi, Thank you for the advice, I contacted Honda UK yesterday, as the dealer said he was unable to look at the problem till mid-next week, and they (Honda UK) also thought (as you did) that it could be one of the call pack's, they also contacted the dealer in Kent that I bought the car from and I don't know how they did it but the dealer contacted me and arranged for the car to go in for (kiss of life) a full diagnostic check tomorrow (24/04). Fingers and other body parts crossed, they will sort it out.
I will let you know how it goes.   Best Regards,  R

guest5355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »

Well The Plot thickens,
Took the Jazz to the supplying dealer (in Kent) early today and after 3 hours they informed me that they put the car on the computer and told me that no faults were found and that the coil packs were fine.
On the way home about 30 minuets into my journey the car lost all power for a second or two then all was fine, then after about 30 minuets on the M25 doing 60 mph it happened again not once but twice in the space of 4-5 seconds, it was then ok for the rest of my journey.
When I got home I contacted the dealer and they told my that although the car had been given a all clear, the diagnostic test did not always shows if the vehicle had a Coil-Pack fault but that did not mean that all was ok with the vehicle, I ask them if they had checked the fuel filter and was told NO as the filter was in the fuel tank.
 When I got home I contacted another Honda dealer in Chelmsford and explained what had happened and how I need the vehicle as my Wife has a disability, they said that if I got the vehicle to them before 3pm they would check the fuel filter  it was in fact located in the centre consul. They said that it was not covered by the W'tee and the cost of replacing the filter would be £117.  plus VAT. whilst they were doing the job I contacted Honda UK. and a charming young lady said that they would pay this amount but if that did not sort the problem out they would take over the whole thing as they don't like having customers unhappy. 
I hope that the new filter solves the problem if not I will let you know.
 AM I annoyed, O YES! 120 mile return journey Essex-Kent-Essex, then 30+ mile journey to 2nd dealer and home

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 07:53:33 AM »
Would be surprised if it is a blocked fuel filter on 3 year old Jazz, the main tank filter is supposed to be a 'lifetime' filter.   I have seen similar problem when fuel tank breather became blocked on a car and as the fuel was sucked out of tank a vacuum was created, lessening the fuel to engine.  I would expect a problem with one coil pack would cause misfiring and a bit of power loss but not total loss.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 12:27:50 AM »
Hi, Well the new fuel filter has not made any difference, today we were going round a roundabout when all power was lost, no lights showing on dash, good news, power back in 1-2 seconds, bad news it happened again about 10 mins, later not once but twice.
I have looked on other Honda  forums and someone has suggested that it could be a fault with the fly-by-wire accelerator that's causing the problem as it may malfunction at times, What the he**  is fly-by-wire, but most think it's the coil pack,.
I have just sent a email to Honda UK as we are going to have to hire a car tomorrow to get us about,  as we don't trust our Jazz at the moment and I would hate to cause anyone else a problem.
 I will mention to Honda UK the problem with the fuel  tank breather causing a vacuum.
   Regards,  r

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 08:36:26 AM »
I have looked on other Honda  forums and someone has suggested that it could be a fault with the fly-by-wire accelerator that's causing the problem as it may malfunction at times, What the he**  is fly-by-wire, but most think it's the coil pack,.

fly-by-wire means that accelerator pedal not directly mechanically linked to throttle by a rod or steel cable,  there will be a couple of variable resistors on throttle pedal linked by an electrical connection to the ECU,  these will just tell the ECU the position of the pedal and the ECU will do all the calcs from the load on the engine (inlet vacuum etc.) to decide what the best gear is and information relayed to electric motor on the throttle body which will move to correct positions (hopefully) to give either best acceleration or best economy. 

There is a self contained 'coil pack' on each spark plug (the tubular black plastic things you remove to get at spark plugs), which gets its own 12volt power signal from the ECU when a spark is needed on each cylinder,  no HT leads or the horrible troublesome High Voltage 'distributor'  exist on a car any more. I doubt that more than one coil pack would fail at same time and losing one spark would not cut engine power completely as three cylinders still working,  you would notice a misfire,  sounds more like throttle or fuel failing (fuel pump connections).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 06:51:37 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 09:34:07 AM »
Hi, Well the new fuel filter has not made any difference, today we were going round a roundabout when all power was lost, no lights showing on dash, good news, power back in 1-2 seconds, bad news it happened again about 10 mins, later not once but twice.
If there were briefly no lights on the dashboard then I would be suspecting an intermittent electrical fault. Perhaps a bad connection. These intermittent problems can be quite difficult to troubleshoot. If the power briefly went off then the fault might not get logged by the ECU.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 12:16:39 PM »
I think that John might be right, have a check of the battery. Didn't someone have a misfire that came down to battery and connections? Was it RichardA?

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 04:48:22 PM »
Going back a while I had a similar problem in a Corsa, it turned out to be a break in an HT lead that arced as you accelerate and the engine rocked back a little. However I would have thought this would have been detected in a diagnostics check.

smunley

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 ES Plus CVT
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 10:19:39 PM »
I am having similar issue on Mk1 Jazz CVT. Please see

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5236.msg23058#msg23058

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=6300.msg28503#msg28503

When you get the solution please let me know!

guest5355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 11:37:37 PM »
Hi, please can anyone advise . Purchased from Honda dealer (long way from my home) a 2012 Jazz EX auto, CVT a few weeks ago (16000 miles) full Honda service history etc.
The problem is very intermittent, about 3 or 4 times.
When slowing down, almost stopped and put foot on accelerator to gain speed and nothing happens for a few seconds then it picks up rev's and all is fine, however to-day took foot off accelerator at about 30mph and when put back on pedal, nothing happened 1-2 seconds, then it picked up speed.
The car runs really well and is doing 45+mpg (shopping etc.) so please,  anyone know why.

Regards, R

09/06/2015,  At long last our jazz is fully up and running, After 3 visits to the supplying dealer (110 mile round trip) and with the problem still there I had given up all hope But then the Why-Don't-You Fairy put  a thought in my mind, Check the service history that came with the car, well the service sheet for the 2nd year did not show if the CVT Fluid had been changed,  now as the hand book that came with the car stated change due at 8 years or 75000 miles but the service sheet was not showing that, it showed 2 years 0r 25000 miles.
A quick call to the dealer who serviced the car at 2 years confirmed that for some reason the fluid was not changed, so it was back to Kent (from Essex) and they drained/flushed/refilled the CVT fluid and Hallelujah ,
problem solved.

guest5355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
I am having similar issue on Mk1 Jazz CVT. Please see

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5236.msg23058#msg23058

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=6300.msg28503#msg28503

When you get the solution please let me know!

Hope my last post helps.  09/06/15

Tags: