Author Topic: piston rings worn, jazzy is now starting to die, what the option now?  (Read 7242 times)

guest2913

after suffering with misfire which I've asked for help on the forum and thank you to all those who have helped and my self taking the advice on board to find and cure Jazzy to health, on bank holiday Monday I dared to question Honda engine rep and yes cylinder 2 & 3 where out be 25% on its PSI compared to 1 & 4 and after putting a tiny bit of oil in 2 & 3 and retested it's PSI it was the same as 1 & 4 this also explains the loss of power compared to the other Jazz we own as well. the advice I've been give is keep driving it's a honda it'll not give up and a RA3 owner (odyssey) drove with 85k with worn valves before it gave up when insurance scrapped it in an accident or has anyone experienced this and know am still in the safe haha

Kinda upset my pride and joy is dying or any advise coz my honda dealer told me the tappets can do this be and i would thought the engine would be banging like made?  :-\  :'(

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: piston rings worn, jazzy is now starting to die, what the option now?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 01:16:36 PM »
Don't know what your annual mileage is or if the car has regular oil changes or servicing. Sometimes may be a good idea to do a couple of quick oil changes with a decent oil as one of the results of doing low annual  mileage and / or not doing regular oil changes with a decent oil may be sticking piston rings ( lacquer and carbon build up),  freeing them up can result in improvement in compression.  Does the car use oil between changes or blow blue smoke out of exhaust after power is applied after a downhill run (when engine is 'braking' downhill on a closed throttle oil can be sucked past worn or stuck piston rings and be burnt off upper bore as blue smoke when throttle is opened again)- you may have to ask someone to follow you to see this.  Middle two cylinders may run hotter than outer pair and this could be why they are affected.

Some garages may be able to test crankcase pressure (blow-bye) with engine running properly (compression test normally uses starter to turn engine over at low speed) any extra crankcase pressure can be down to gas escaping past piston rings.

In my experience the problem isn't going to get suddenly worse and loose you down,  it will  be a gradual thing, and you may notice increased oil consumption blue smoke or MOT emission test may show up hydrocarbons in exhaust gas .
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 01:26:04 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2913

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
just gone for it's mot 2 weeks ago, clean test on the exhaust side, had a my other half drive behide no smoke and they no smell but when i take my foot off the pedal you can feel it start to brake (Auto CVT) which it has never done before and my annual usage is 6k and the car mileage is 83k it's serviced twice a year with parts from honda so this is why i titled it she starting to die because it has been looked after and it does use oil about 100ml in 6 months so not much really

guest2913

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 01:14:14 PM »
just an update on the problem, the check engine light came on Friday morning, stuck the computer on, fault codes P1351, which is front set coils on cylinder 1 & 4, check number 1 looked fine, pulled out number 4 and well they wasn't much left it was in 3 separate parts haha so this might cure the misfire and performance I've been thinking it's a old girl now at 9 years old but still madly in love with the driving pleasure so as long the misfire / jerking gone i'll be happy not to mad now on speed love the jazz refined ride :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 03:54:45 PM »
I would check the spark plugs as when the gap gets too big when plugs are really worn this can stress the electrical insulation on the coil pack and cause arc-over and failure
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 11:57:23 AM »

As  ^^^^.  These misfires can do the CAT in as well.  In fact burning oil shortens cat life.  It is a strange one that on your engine at 83k.   Engine may have had an easy life, ie never revved properly, cheap fuel, and oil no changed.  Or it could be just that one in a thousand car that plays up.

I think the rings are stuck.  A flushing oil may help.  My regime is : overchange engine oil ie 6k or 8months.
     Use top fuel.  Shell standard and V Power every 3rd tank.:  Every journey I make sure she gets a near red line in 3rd gear at least once or twice.
    It may all help........in theory  :D

guest2913

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:09:49 PM »
Just an update! Changed the ignition coils the power and speed is back but the bloody hesitation is still there I guess it time to check the plug gaps but I did notice one funny item which might explain the problem sensor one before the cat the pattern is not great! But no fault codes at the momment!

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 01:10:53 AM »
Presume you know that i-DSi has 8 coils and 8 sparkplugs... Some independent garages don't know that and so only half of them get attention/service/renewal.

Having thoroughly cleaned the EGR valve (easy job and a common cause of 'jerking and hesitation' reported on this Forum) and getting no improvement, I renewed the 8 spark plugs on my daughter's i-DSi and it made all the difference. All hesitation and missing gone.

At least as I understand it, a spark plug can be 'gapped' perfectly but nonetheless will still not perform if it is 'breaking down.' Particularly if the plug is well overdue for change. Sometimes a faulty (oil burning) cylinder or badly misfiring cylinder (coil/sparkplug) can be found when the end of one plug appears 'sooty/dirty/oily' compared to the others. Also, plugs well beyond their service life often have a very distinct brown ring ('corona') right around the base of the porcelain.

On my daughter's car, doing it myself and because I couldn't be sure the sparkplugs were the problem, I elected for the 'shortlife' alternative (copper?) which are much cheaper than the longlife (iridium?) plugs. (My motor factor - in NZ - offered both options listed against the i-DSi.) After that I would have hunted for one of the coils. 

guest2913

• Topic Starter
well an update it has took along time since the light came on, front row cylinder 1 & 4 coil pack failed and well i regapped all 6 spark plugs and it runs like new! :)

Tags:

anything