Author Topic: Variable brake performance.  (Read 3438 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Variable brake performance.
« on: January 13, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »
I have issues with the brakes on my 1.2, 56 plate, S. The brakes are great, most of the time, but occasionally they are particularly fierce. I also find that, sometimes, when manoeuvring at low speed, the brakes don't feel that great, but a little more pressure and the car stands on its nose. (that might be me not wanting to push too hard to begin with)
I have no idea what type of pads are fitted, or whether the discs are the Honda originals or not. The discs are immaculate, with no scoring or corroding, and my mechanic son-in-law cleaned them with Brake Cleaner when he was checking them out.
Anyone else experiencing this, or have any advice?

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
Re: Variable brake performance.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 10:30:16 PM »
After almost 2 years of ownership. I still, often produce kangaroo stops, when gently manoeuvring.

I would prefer a less sensitive, brake pedal.......
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »
I find that in normal driving the brake pedal only needs a very light touch to slow the car. It is almost like I am not pressing it. Sometimes I do some hard braking just to make it feel like the pads are biting.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »
I've found that I need to wear thin soled shoes when driving modern vehicles so I can get a little feedback from the pedals which need little force to operate them.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:45:55 PM »
I've found that I need to wear thin soled shoes when driving modern vehicles so I can get a little feedback from the pedals which need little force to operate them.

That is, probably, my problem.

My old and painful, arthritic feet. Need thick, insulating, shoe soles.......  :(
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 06:40:47 PM »
Thanks. If I sat any further back I wouldn't reach the steering wheel! I do feather the brakes before stopping. The grabbing seems to be at first application, not as car comes to a halt. I have been driving and riding motorcycles for 50 years and have never had an issue like this before. I have driven trucks, which can have very fierce brakes when unloaded, but never variably so. I also drove buses and I am currently a delivery van driver, so I am not inexperienced. I'll try replacing the brake fluid. It is a cheap and easy job and who knows, it may never have been changed during the lifetime of the car!

guest5079

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
Cold brakes have to be treated with care BUT after pushing the dealer for  a brake fluid change the brakes became much more amenable and have stayed so for over two years.  It suggests that the recommended 3 yr change is to be complied with.

Tags: