Author Topic: A bit of a disaster  (Read 4784 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
A bit of a disaster
« on: May 20, 2017, 03:29:55 PM »
While crossing the Forth Road Bridge today I started to get what felt like a vibration then a noise like a deflated tyre. There was nowhere to stop and as it got worse I finally made it to the hard shoulder at the start of the M9 link. A quick check confirmed it was not a tyre and I realised it was the exhaust that had failed (the vibration fooled me). I had to carry on down to the first off ramp then rejoined on the other carriageway as I headed for home. It got even noisier and I was worried the exhaust would break and come down onto the road. I left the motorway at Rosyth and pulled into a KwikFit, but they would have to get the part in. I then continued home to Kirkcaldy and went to the KwikFit there. They could have got the part in in about half an hour but wanted £120 (£250 if they had to replace the back box). As I have the part in my garage (bought for £25), I declined. A local garage would fit my bit, but couldn't fit me in until Tuesday. Eventually I reached my mechanic son-in-law, but he has no gas for his torch until Monday, so the car is laid up until then. I am working on Monday, so will take the car and the exhaust parts with me. One of the garages we sell to is very good in that he will pick your car up from the TMS depot, use TMS parts (of which I get staff discount), then return it when repaired. Otherwise I will have to wait on S-I-L getting his stuff together.
The surprising thing, that caught me unawares, is how quickly it went from a snuffle to a fully ruptured exhaust. If it hadn't been for my impending MOT I would have probably ignored the snuffle and not bought the exhaust last week!
It always happens at the weekend!!!

guest1372

Re: A bit of a disaster
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 05:23:08 PM »
As bad as 11pm in the rain on the A1* - back box went from normal to dragging in about 10 seconds; at least you have the resources and are prepared.  After my experience I keep gloves, towel, torch, and simple tools in the car.
--
TG

* Dual carriageway, no hard shoulder, no street lights & slight bend.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »
Sods law that an exhaust will never fail anywhere near home or a garage. Had one go once coming back from holiday at the entrance to the Dartford Tunnel. Luckily had a few tools with me and manage to tie it up to stop it dragging. Then had to struggle home trying not to accelerate too much and keep it quiet so as not draw too much attention. Amazing how many Police cars are around when your exhaust sounds like one on a Cobra!

Mike.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:22:22 PM »
You can never get a policeman when you want one! We even had one behind us for a while. Amazing how light a throttle you can manage in those circumstances!!

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 06:30:40 PM »
We always had the car looked over by my mate down the garage after that episode, before we went on holiday each year. ;)

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 09:31:13 PM »
As I said mine went from sounding fine to me thinking that sounds a little loud. Then within about 20 miles of thinking the car sounds a bit loud the back box fell off on the approach to a roundabout on the A11. A bit amusing to see it rolling off to the side of the road in the mirror.

My wife asked what we are going to do and I said continue home as I don't need it anymore :p

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 07:50:36 AM »
LOL, It can only fall off once!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »
Stopped raining today so I popped down to my garage to check out damage to exhaust. I was very lucky. The entire system had detached ahead of the middle box and was hanging loose held only by the rear hangers. Just as well they are in good order and kept the remains of the system clear of the road. I'll just leave the car where it is until my son-in-law can replace the mid section.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
I think speed bumps and potholes have a lot to answer for when it comes to exhausts failing, the shock loading (and possibility of top of speedbump actually hitting the exhaust) can't be doing anything on the car any good - but exhausts are especially vulnerable.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
I tend to agree Culzean; and there are certainly plenty of potholes around. I think they are phasing out speed bumps (sleeping [policemen) and going to speed tables (not so dramatic). They are installing several along our main road at the moment and two Pelican crossings, as a new school is being built. The problem was too many idiot motorists who were doing up to 60mph in a 30 zone. As usual the few make it bad for the most. :(

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
Agree that road surfaces and furnishings are tough there days. How these lower slung cars go on is a mystery to me.

When I drive my son's Jazz I have to remember to be really careful. The slightly raised ride height of the HR-V is a lot more forgiving.

guest5079

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 09:32:43 AM »
Not being a technic, my biggest concern with the exhaust hitting road 'crap' is the Cat. I have read on several occasions that sharp knocks to the Cat can damage it. While the cost of an exhaust is not funny a replacement Cat is a bit of a disaster.
Incidentally, slightly off subject:  Followed a double decker bus along a road subject to 20mph with the mount everest type speed bumps. The bus left me for dead as his wheels straddled the humps. I would guestimate his speed at a good 30mph. I understood speed humps were for safety???????. Ten ton of bus would do considerable more damage than my little Jazz.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 03:33:15 PM »
During my brief spell as a bus driver, speed bumps were never a problem. As you say, big vehicles just straddle them.
Regarding the Cat. Luckily for me it is on the part that is firmly attached to the manifold so wasn't flapping in the breeze.
We sell Cats at really reasonable prices, after the old one is returned and the deposit collected. It is the Platinum or Palladium they contain that makes them expensive, and it is recoverable from the old unit.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 06:54:46 PM »
Disaster got even worse today. As my son-in-law couldn't manage exhaust until Thursday evening I went to one of the local garages TMS supply and who does jobs for the staff. Turns out he worked with S-I-L for many years. There was no way he could get the cat and middle pipe separated. The bolts were welded to the cat flange, and even after grinding off the nuts all that happened when he tried to split the flange was the cat flange bent. It was so soft.
I phoned my work and they had the cat in stock, so they just brought it down to us. £85.15 inclusive of VAT. It was then just a straightforward job of reassembling everything. For an entire afternoon's labour Bill charged me £45.
Total cost of exhaust (cat, middle section and gaskets), fitted, was £155.75.
At least now I am back to silent running.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 05:58:25 PM »
Had to get the exhaust adjusted, as it was knocking on the inner sill over bumps and on left-hand turns. The garage came out to it while I was at work. He is a customer of ours! On the way home everything was quiet, as I hoped it would be.

Tags:

anything