Author Topic: Thoughts on getting a Hybrid. (long!)  (Read 19401 times)

mylesm

• Approved Member
Re: Thoughts on getting a Hybrid. (long!)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 10:20:42 AM »
If my Maths are correct thats about 45mpg considering the type of driving you are doing I would say thas is a very very good figure

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 01:51:32 PM »
Yes, I am happy with the running costs. I suppose I had hoped for better than 50 mpg as a hybrid, but probably not going to happen with my usage pattern. I think that with a different type of use the mpg would be much more impressive. I am sure that there are cars out there that would give me a few more mpg's but when all the positives are factored in, it is a great little car. I really cannot stress how nice it is to drive, at least for my type of driving.

mylesm

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 02:12:55 PM »
Yes, I am happy with the running costs. I suppose I had hoped for better than 50 mpg as a hybrid, but probably not going to happen with my usage pattern. I think that with a different type of use the mpg would be much more impressive. I am sure that there are cars out there that would give me a few more mpg's but when all the positives are factored in, it is a great little car. I really cannot stress how nice it is to drive, at least for my type of driving.

yes there are lots of cars that claim 60mpg including other hybrids and I am sure you would get that on a run of 200mls at 60mph

But your pattern is almost the worst possible for economy and there would be very few compact petrol automatics hybrid or not that would match it

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 07:45:30 AM »
Just for a giggle . . . . apart from items changed at scheduled servicing, brakes, tyres, wipers etc. My jazz has required a new engine battery £96, and a sidelight bulb (that I couldn't access) £5, a grand total of £101 in 3.5 years and 139,000 miles and I was told by a fellow driving instructor that his Hyundai had impressively got to 55,000 miles with an original starter motor . . . . BANG . . .  shot down my friend  :D :D :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »
yes there are lots of cars that claim 60mpg including other hybrids and I am sure you would get that on a run of 200mls at 60mph

But your pattern is almost the worst possible for economy and there would be very few compact petrol automatics hybrid or not that would match it
I've averaged 58 mpg (based on actual fuel used) in my Jazz hybrid because I try to minimise the town driving (walking is more pleasant and better exercise) so the majority of the mileage is on the open roads, preferably non-motorway. However, I recently had to do a bunch of < 5 mile local trips after a refill and the indicated mpg was around 41 mpg (so the actual is likely to be worse still).

Engines are fuel guzzlers until they are up to temperature which is why I think the possibility of a 3 cylinder turbo engine (so less to warm up) combined with a more power IMA system could be a useful improvement. We should soon know what Honda proposes to introduce in Europe.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 09:41:10 PM »
Don't get a BMW i8 Plug-in Hybrid - Just watched the test on Top Gear - BMW claim something like 135mpg for it (and it's a sports car) - is exempt from road tax and congestion charges - has a 3 cylinder turbo petrol engine and can hit 155MPH, carries a heavy battery pack (good for only about 20 miles) and front wheels driven by electric motor, rear wheels by engine - funnily enough battery does not get charged by engine in ECO mode / only in sport mode - did anyone really believe it would get over 100miles a gallon ?

Well Clarkson got 30mpg average - how are BMW allowed to claim 130mpg ? did they stop every 15 miles and plug in the battery - that's the thing with plug-in hybrids - they use electricity generated by coal or natural gas at 40% efficiency by power stations,  which drops to less than 20% efficiency by the time it's been through the battery and electric motor systems - zero emissions at the tailpipe but horrendously low efficiency and still pumping out emissions at the power station.   These plug-in hybrid nonsensical MPG claims really are all smoke and rose-tinted mirrors and it's about time manufacturers had to publish proper real life mpg figures and not some contrived figure.

the car has a tiny 32 litre petrol tank (7 gallons) so you would be lucky to get much over 300 miles on a full charge and a full tank.

below is comment from The Auto Express test -

Thanks to its plug-in petrol-electric powerplant, the i8 claims a remarkable 134.5mpg and CO2 emissions of 49g/km. Of course, these figures are only really achievable if you charge the BMW’s batteries once a day and the majority of your journeys can be completed within the 22 mile electric range.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:38:57 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 08:59:28 AM »
Here's a good article about the deficiencies of the EU testing http://www.economist.com/news/business/21636063-efficiency-european-cars-much-about-trickery-technology-fuels-paradise.

Daimler, BMW and Ford are much better than rivals at beating the real-world figures.

The European Commission wants to introduce a new test by 2017 that more accurately mirrors real driving. Carmakers in Germany and France are pressing their governments to delay the measure.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 02:06:02 PM »
It all goes to prove you can fool some of the people all of the time.

If we were US consumers , we could have a joint lawsuit and become millionaires.....

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 08:13:16 PM »
I looked at the Vauxhall Ampera, which claimed some daft 235mpg, http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall-range/cars/ampera/index.html, now in my opinion that means if its got a 7 gallon tank, you only fill up every 1600 miles . . . . apparently not, it means you top up every 360 miles as thats the range in perfect conditions.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »
I was talking with one of the engineers today at a company I visited and he has had a Civic 1.6 i-DTEC and is very happy with it, and he does get over 60 mpg on his 'real life' daily commute,  used to put about £55 fuel in every week,  now he puts about £28 (I know fuel price has come down about 20% over last few months,  but that still means consumption is at least 30% better than his last car).

I am not a fan of Diesels,  but over 60mpg in real life driving is pretty damn good, wonder how long the turbo and DPF will last though  ::)  modern Diesels are very complicated bits of kit,  and expensive to fix.

Consumption of i-DTEC would be even better in Jazz with less weight to lug around.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:22:40 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3042

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »
I have had my hybrid - the top of the range version - for three years and am very pleased with it. I only potter around and usually manage mid-fifties mpg.
But on a trip to London - I live in the north-west -I managed 64mpg and most of that trip was on motorways.
Highly recommended.

guest350

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 04:15:28 PM »
Deva is that an HS-T? with the sat nav? only being envious  :-)  Since I had the start clutch fixed on my 2003 Jazz with 1.4 CVT I am now getting 50mpg on mixed urban/distance driving.  I think I will still go for a petrol/electric hybrid rather than diesel when I replace my current car.  If we stay in the EU they are going to try and kill off diesels....  Which if you do a lot of town driving and short trips does make some sense.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 04:42:41 PM »
Hybrids used mmmm, now how much will that battery run the next owner?
Cars are for driving enjoyment, hence our ownership of a 1992 Legacy Turbo and a Jazz Ex

guest3042

• Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 07:45:05 AM »
Philjazz, no there is no satnav unfortunately. I wasn't aware any Jazz had a satnav. Honda are a bit mean with their toys.
Deva

guest350

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 08:45:15 AM »

Tags:

anything