Author Topic: Considering purchase of a 12-reg very low mileage 1.4EX CVT  (Read 5626 times)

guest6296

Considering purchase of a 12-reg very low mileage 1.4EX CVT
« on: August 23, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »
We think it is time to part with our beloved 2006 1.4 CVT Jazz which has served us very well with no repairs needed apart from the usual consumables like tyres, brake pads, wiper blades, filters etc. It has done 103,000 miles and we think we should part with it whilst it still has a reasonable residual value.

We have seen a very low mileage 2012 1.4EX CVT for sale and when I say low I mean low - 12,000 miles in 4 years and two owners. The first owner I believe was a disabled driver and he did about 6000 miles in the first 3 years and then a lady bought it and did about 6000 miles in one year.

Is this a good buy or are there any potential snags that should I be aware of? Low mileage sounds attractive but this also means that the car may have been idle for long periods or just used for very short local trips. I am also intrigued as to why the second owner would sell it on after just one year!

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Considering purchase of a 12-reg very low mileage 1.4EX CVT
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:39:43 AM »
There's no particular common faults with the Mk2, it's just the same things as every car.  As you are aware from your existing Jazz, CVT is more expensive to service as fluid will need changing periodically.  It may or may not have a spare wheel, and distance until next service indicator may or may not be switched on.  Members here tend to favour condition over mileage.
--
TG

guest5168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:43:05 AM »
My dad bought a 2005 jazz recently, in excellent mechanical condition ( has passed all its MOT's in it's lifetime , first time everytime with no advisories each time), no rust whatsoever and drives spot on. It had 107k miles.

How much he paid for it? £550 .. talk about any value left..

guest6296

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 04:46:51 PM »
There's no particular common faults with the Mk2, it's just the same things as every car.  As you are aware from your existing Jazz, CVT is more expensive to service as fluid will need changing periodically.  It may or may not have a spare wheel, and distance until next service indicator may or may not be switched on.  Members here tend to favour condition over mileage.
--
TG

TG - thanks for your response. I'll be seeing the car in question tomorrow so I'll be able to judge the condition then. I'm just concerned that the lack of use and/or very short runs to the shops and back will have had a long-term detrimental effect on the engine (maybe not as it's a Honda); obviously with little use the car will look pretty immaculate I'd have thought.

guest6296

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:50:46 PM »
My dad bought a 2005 jazz recently, in excellent mechanical condition ( has passed all its MOT's in it's lifetime , first time everytime with no advisories each time), no rust whatsoever and drives spot on. It had 107k miles.

Sitefive - thanks for your response. So are you saying I should hang on to our 2006 Jazz then!!? The description of the car your Dad bought would apply precisely to ours! Talking of value, the dealer we saw today offered £2000 part/ex allowance on ours.

guest5168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 10:31:13 PM »

Sitefive - thanks for your response. So are you saying I should hang on to our 2006 Jazz then!!? The description of the car your Dad bought would apply precisely to ours! Talking of value, the dealer we saw today offered £2000 part/ex allowance on ours.
that was my point exactly :D
ok yours is 1year younger but still it's a 10year old car with same mileage and same everything else.

How much is that 12reg Jazz that you are looking at? If it's some insane amount than sure the Dealer can offer you generous £££ for part-ex just to lure you in.

guest6296

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 08:50:29 PM »

ok yours is 1year younger but still it's a 10year old car with same mileage and same everything else.

How much is that 12reg Jazz that you are looking at? If it's some insane amount than sure the Dealer can offer you generous £££ for part-ex just to lure you in.

Today we found an ES Plus CVT, 2014, 18,000 miles, one owner, £9495 (price probably OTT but it was a main Honda dealer). Car in virtually "as new" condition. Didn't realise this model existed; the bonus for us was cruise control without the panoramic glass roof nonsense as per the EX. Got £1250 part/ex for our Jazz which I was happy with as dealer threw in next three services for free and three years AA Warranty as well. As you say the guy the other day was way too expensive considering the age of the car and could afford a generous part/ex. Probably the only downside of the ES Plus was the 16 inch tyres which I see have been mentioned on this forum before as being comparatively rare and therefore more expensive. Still hopefully will be a while before I need to get any!

guest5168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:21:51 PM »

Today we found an ES Plus CVT, 2014, 18,000 miles, one owner, £9495 (price probably OTT but it was a main Honda dealer). Car in virtually "as new" condition. Didn't realise this model existed; the bonus for us was cruise control without the panoramic glass roof nonsense as per the EX. Got £1250 part/ex for our Jazz which I was happy with as dealer threw in next three services for free and three years AA Warranty as well. As you say the guy the other day was way too expensive considering the age of the car and could afford a generous part/ex. Probably the only downside of the ES Plus was the 16 inch tyres which I see have been mentioned on this forum before as being comparatively rare and therefore more expensive. Still hopefully will be a while before I need to get any!

So did you bought it already?
To be honest 9.5k for 2014 jazz is juts NUTS!
I inquired about brand new jazz through carwow, and the cheapest offer I got which was still decently packed was £12,100  - that's for a brand new car and the new model as well!

9.5k is wayyy too much. I have seen few 2014 jazzes with same mileage or less get sold in ebay auctions for around 3.5-4k ( sadly for repaired cat c/d cars but having inquired some had had just some light panel damage in past which is fine for me)

The car you are talking about (with same mileage&condition and clean title) is worth around 6-6.5k, but not 9.5k!
Jazz is a great car, but even I couldn't fanthom paying that kind of price for it.

guest5168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 09:26:32 PM »
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605274382101?search-target=usedcars&make=honda&model=jazz&year-from=2016&radius=1500&searchcontext=default&page=1&sort=default&postcode=dl11xp&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=2

2016 new model with 3000 miles for £10,989 , Pretty sure if you went in and offered 10k they would take it as well..
or a brand new one is just 12k!

Don't say to me that you have bought it already?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 11:31:21 AM »
Motorpoint had 10 Jazz Mk2 all ex mobility for around £9-10k recently.
Remeber its all about the cost of change, dealers are up against end of August targets at present.
Good luck getting a deal

guest6296

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 08:21:59 AM »
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605274382101?search-target=usedcars&make=honda&model=jazz&year-from=2016&radius=1500&searchcontext=default&page=1&sort=default&postcode=dl11xp&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=2

2016 new model with 3000 miles for £10,989 , Pretty sure if you went in and offered 10k they would take it as well..
or a brand new one is just 12k!

Don't say to me that you have bought it already?

Yes I have. I'm sure there will be cheaper options out there but I would never buy a car at an auction, ebay or otherwise. This car was owned by your typical old retired gent who religiously changes his car every two years, returning to the same dealer he bought it from and had serviced by them. To me that provides additional assurance that no car bought at random on ebay could ever provide. I did quite a bit of research on the Internet beforehand and I believe the price was not bad, ok definitely at the top end of the range, but worth it for the reasons I have stated!

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »
New thread on this subject opened here:

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8474.0

Tags:

anything