Author Topic: Any experience with winter tyres???  (Read 2637 times)

guest1072

Any experience with winter tyres???
« on: October 06, 2009, 10:26:32 PM »
I'm looking to put a set of winter tyres on my 54 SE Sport. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Since my mate sold his car it's going to be up to me to get us up through the Highlands to the ski centres.

I had an off in the snow last year (I was just unlucky), and I don't really want to repeat it this year. While the roads round me in central Scotland get an occasional few inches of snow during the winter, the roads through the mountains receive a lot more and can often be closed due to the snow.

So ideally I'm look for a tyre that I can put on for a couple of months which can cope with being driven in mild weather on the motorway while still being able to handle the white stuff on the hills. Naturally I'll be mounting them on a set of steels to save the alloys.

Thanks

guest869

• Topic Starter
Re: Any experience with winter tyres??? Yes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 07:28:25 AM »
I lived in Scandinavia for 2 years and had winter tyres (non studded) and they are fantastic. The grip on snow is superb, wet road grip is also astounding and I actually ran them through the summer too.

I continued to use them in the UK through last winter and even though we hardly had any snow they were still worth it for the wet road grip. Grip from a standing start and around roundabouts in the wet seemed similar to dry! I then sold my car and bought a Jazz. I intend to fit winter tyres to my steelies and will continue to have winter and summer tyres.

I used Nokian tyres but may look at Michelin for my next set as I am a big fan of Michelin.

guest593

• Topic Starter
Re: Any experience with winter tyres???
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 02:27:23 PM »

Tags:

anything