Author Topic: Engine check light coming on then off?  (Read 5877 times)

guest6195

Engine check light coming on then off?
« on: June 29, 2016, 10:50:41 AM »
Good morning All,

Hoping someone can help?

Couple of weeks ago my engine check light came on. Went to a local garage for diagnostic they came up with the following:
Code: 040-16 Throttle control motor relay malfunction
Code: 014-11 Idle speed control signal too large

TBH not sure what these mean? The Tech cleared the faults and hey presto back to normal... until last Friday. Engine check light came back on. I couldn't get into the garage until yesterday, but before getting there it went off. As I've got the MOT coming up next week I thought i'd leave it until then and speak face to face with the guy. Driving last night engine check light came back on but the revs died (first time this has happened) and basically had to pull over. Turned car off and restarted and this seemed to reset the car, but engine light stayed on. Driving to work this morning thinking I'll nip it round the corner to the garage and the light turned off??? car seems to be running normal. Called the garage they will check it tomorrow, said no worries driving it. They think one of 2 things the throttle will need changing or a valve which can be expensive.

Anyone able to give a bit of advice please? Sorry to ramble, but wanted you to get a full picture.

Cheers.
A.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
Re: Engine check light coming on then off?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 04:29:54 PM »
Hi,

I`m running through the service manual and cannot find the same codes.
Them codes should not be P0401 and P0141?

I believe because that malfunction light is intermittent you might have a wiring fault rather than faulty parts.
Check the fuses under the dash if all are seated properly.

Hondachap

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honnda Jazz
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 06:45:54 PM »
What mls has your car covered? I had an problem with my e m l showing intermittent
Ok one day next day light on again  car was lacking power and missfiring.at this point my car 07 plate s model had covered 167.000mls
my local mechanic had took of and cleaned the inlet manifold  11.000 mls later no problem
something for you to think about hope that helps

guest6195

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »
Many thanks for your replies.

DV: I've looked at the code issue myself and was coming up with nothing? Not sure if the Mech was reading it right, but I'll have them check again, but the P prefix codes seem to be what I should be looking for (je never said anything about the P prefix? Just gave me numerical not alpha/numerical???).

Hondachap: Scores on the doors are 75500 miles which is pretty low mileage for a 07 plate, I think.

The Mech (without seeing it again) said that they will check the throttle, but reading other posts I think i'd like to check wiring and also clean the inlet manifold before things get too expensive. I'll post back what I find out, but if anyone else wants to add anything please feel free  ;D

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 07:09:49 PM »
There is a fault with certain Jazz with an electronic throttle body where the wiring feeding it is rather tight within it's protective conduit.  The tension on the wire at a 90° bend/join causes it to fail in an erratic manner. 

The cables from the throttle body feed forward and down in conduit to a point where they join a larger conduit - it's at this point that the fault occurs, from memory people have mentioned 'the yellow/green wire' but I'll see if i can find the original posts.
- edit -
Yes 'Yellow/green' wire, "The fault was caused by a broken wire where the throttle body wiring meets the main wiring loom."

Loss of power and engine management light on.
Fault codes P0638, P0121, P0122, P0221, P0222, P0607 all relating to throttle position and control module.

Also http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=103253  mentions codes 40-16, 07-1, 07-5 and was fixed by mending a broken wire in the harness.

As you suspect, checking the wires at the junction of the two conduits is first task.  New throttle body is expensive and attention probably not required.
--
TG

guest6195

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 10:58:42 AM »
TG. Many thanks will certainly look into this and post the results mid week.

A.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 06:18:57 PM »
TG. Many thanks will certainly look into this and post the results mid week.

A.

any updates on this?

guest6230

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 08:31:08 PM »
Could be carboned up throttle body and the throttle valve not closing fully when you take your foot off the accelerator. I'd carefully clean it out with carb cleaner spray.

Tags:

anything