Author Topic: Just a little weird  (Read 16453 times)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Just a little weird
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
Fair enough, so please enlighten me as to how it works out . . . .

1.  The car regularly was dead first thing in the morning, however locking and unlocking the car again seems to allow it to start.
2.  When it didn't start, rather than lock and unlock, I tried the spare (unused) key, the car started first time.
3.  Since changing the battery in the key fob, the car has started first time each time.

The only remaining issue is the lights on at refueling. I am now wondering if thats because I have the trip meter resting on trip A at refuelling.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »
From what your saying it sounds like one of the keys is not being recognised by the immobilizer.

And therefore not starting the engine.

Also immobilizers these days have rolling codes so if you keep pressing the unlock/lock buttons several times the key will have a different code to the immobilizer.

So in other words unlock the car pressing the button once only so has to keep the same code.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 09:53:26 AM »
On average I must use the fob to lock and unlock the car 10x for every once I use the key to start it, so cannot understand how they can get out of synch.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 10:00:19 AM »
If you say unlock the car and then press the unlock button a couple of times even though the car is unlocked and then go to start the car it may not start as the key and immobilizer can go out of sync.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
OK the latest twist, on the last lesson of the day, pupils stops the car outside his house. We sit there arranging the next weeks lessons, sorting out payment etc, so we are sat there maybe 5 minutes, with the lights on. When we are finished he goes home, and I jump in the drivers side, turn the key, nothing !
So I keep the key turned, and the dashboard lights flicker, but no turning of the engine.
Lock the doors, unlock the doors, go to restart . . . nothing (now I am starting to worry).
Turn lights off, lock the doors, unlock the doors, it starts as normal.
At least I can recreate it now. I will try it again tomorrow, when I am not 60 miles from home :)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 10:08:17 PM »
I wonder whether either the battery is getting tired or there's a bad connection to the battery. Your car may not be very old but it's had more use than many get in their lifetime.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
LATEST UPDATE
Two days ago, the car refused to start after a Sunday pub lunch, it was getting to the point of frustration, so Monday morning I booked it in for a check-up for today (Tuesday).
This morning I thought I would try to recreate the non-starting, just in case it helped the diagnosis. So I left the lights on for 3 minutes, and tried to start it, dead as a dodo. Nothing, nowt, zilch. So now I am convinced its a battery problem, after a jump start, I took it straight to the Honda dealers.
They checked it over, ran a battery and alternator check, and said its only 10.3 volts from the battery, so probably a dead battery cell, new battery required, £96. So half an hour later, with a new battery installed and £96 lighter, I asked if Honda will cover it under the now expired warranty. I was told "No chance".
So I get back home, and phone Honda UK Customer Services, and voice my plea that the mileage part of the warranty is exceeded, I appreciate that, and the age part is also exceeded, but is a battery really mileage dependent? Surely a car used frequently is kinder to a battery, than a car that sits for ages unused, and is 3 years and a month the expected lifespan of a battery?? They took my details and will get back to me in a few days, if you don't ask you don't get.  ;D ;D ;D

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 02:39:59 PM »
as your car is 3 years old and as a driving instructor car has a life similar to a taxi (stop start and high mileage) I would suspect battery is on the way out.
You indeed were correct  :D

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »
I wonder whether either the battery is getting tired or there's a bad connection to the battery. Your car may not be very old but it's had more use than many get in their lifetime.
Yep, you were correct too  :D

Lets hope thats fixed it now.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 04:52:05 PM »
Dear Mr Osborn

Thank you for contacting Honda (UK)

I am sorry to learn about the issues you have been experiencing with the battery on your Honda Jazz. I have spoken to Marshall Honda regarding this and have been advised that you have already had this unit fitted, could you please confirm if this is the case?

The dealership have advised me that this is not something they feel is a result of a manufacturing defect. They have advised me that it is fairly common with all manufacturers to have a dead cell in a battery, they believe that this may also be linked to the vehicle having high mileage.

I am sorry if this was not the outcome you were looking for but unfortunately Honda (UK) would not be prepared to offer you reimbursement or compensation for this.

Thank you once again for contacting Honda (UK)

Kind Regards,

Customer Relations
Honda (UK) Customer & Aftersales

Oh well, if you don't ask . . .  :D

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 11:30:40 PM »
How completely thick of Honda not to recognise the marketing value of going above and beyond for someone who is demo'ing Jazz to hundreds of people per year.

If the dealer you go to is the local one,  where all your pupil's could buy their Jazz's, they must be stupid too.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 12:47:50 PM »
How completely thick of Honda not to recognise the marketing value of going above and beyond for someone who is demo'ing Jazz to hundreds of people per year.

If the dealer you go to is the local one,  where all your pupil's could buy their Jazz's, they must be stupid too.
Very true, I reckon 3-4 pupils a year buy a Jazz after learning in mine.

Bearing in mind that I spend £500-£600 a month on fuel, the £96 isn't a big deal, but I thought there might have been a token gesture.

guest4871

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
I have to agree. No wonder Honda dealers are demoralised with such little support. Not bright of the dealer either.

As you say, the word of mouth advertising opportunity is completely lost.

How very, very stupid.

Tags:

anything