Author Topic: CVT Noise and Body shake  (Read 12241 times)

guest5117

CVT Noise and Body shake
« on: November 21, 2014, 11:28:36 PM »
Hi its me again :)
I knew CVTs are noisy but mines getting noisier by the day, or its growing on me. I feel the CVT noise on my car is extreme now. On motor way going at 60 and rpm at around 2000-2500, It became unbearable today and I had to drop speed to 50. Is there something wrong with my CVT or is this normal behaviour. around town under 50 it is quite bearable.
Also on idle, while foot on brake and gear-stick in D, the car shudders a bit and rpm swings between 700-800. Is that due to dirty EGR?

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
Re: CVT Noise and Body shake
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 02:08:32 AM »
Are you sure it's the CVT? What's the current news on that wheel bearing?

It's quite low revving on gentle throttle. The revs will of course go up if you give it some, the revs shoot up and then the car gathers speed.

But if you're cruising at 60mph, it should be sitting at 2000-2500 all day long.

Not had an idle problem with my one yet, so can't comment other than to say I notice the slight creep when moving into R/D.

guest5117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
E Honda, are you are wizard? You were right again, it was the bearing noise and not CVT. Apologies. Got the bearing fixed today and car was much smoother and nice drive.
Here is video of engine bay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFP4abol-GQ&list=UUDhFIkBH3dZiUL5Xn9k0ebA

I was thinking of cleaning the EGR anyway but it looks very rusted up. Now I am a bit nervous about a DIY egr clean. I do have loads of Carb Cleaner left.

guest5117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
I got bored and cleaned the MAP sensor. Was a very easy DIY. Here is a sound of engine after MAP sensor in youtube link. I think it sounds better than it did before in the last video. There was some oil residue in the MAP sensor socket/hole that I cleaned with a paper towel. I don't think is such a bad sign?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQO2CNo2Qew&list=UUDhFIkBH3dZiUL5Xn9k0ebA

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »
E Honda, are you are wizard?

:D No, but I look like one some mornings!

It can be hard to diagnose things without seeing/hearing it, but in my experience wheel bearings can "drone" and rumble and generally drive you nuts with the (volume of) noise they make and the vibration. Also you did mention one was earmarked as needing replacing ASAP. Despite it being at the other end of the car, sometimes those sorts of noises appear to come from somewhere else. Many times I've tried to work it out whilst driving and it's only when I jack the thing up to spin the wheel that I confirm which side/end it is.

So in a nutshell, I just got lucky.

Now having had a chance to look at the two vids, It does sound better in the second, but it still doesn't sound right. Perhaps it's the microphone on the recording equipment, but the first thing I would question, is "when was it last serviced?" or perhaps I should re-phrase that as "when was it last really serviced for sure?"

When it's still warm, and just back in from a run. Take one of the easier to reach front spark plugs out and pop a picture up. Take care putting it back, not to cross-thread it and also take care not to over-tighten it. (Finger tight + about 1/2 turn more)

You may get some impression of when they were last out just by looking at them. I've not changed a set yet, but it's not unknown for a lazy/unwitting mechanic just to change the front set than going to all the trouble and faff of doing the job properly and do the (harder to reach) back 4 too. They are meant to be changed every 25k.

In other words, a simple service might not go amiss. (I must go and do mine instead of talking about it  :-[ )

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 09:47:53 AM »
Well done Eddie - and just as a PS - one way of narrowing down a fault is if it is road speed or engine / gearbox speed related.  Knock the car into neutral and coast along  - if the noise is still there with the gearbox in neutral it is probably wheel / driveshaft related.  Early Jazz manual gearbox can get noisy in lower gears due to gearbox layshaft bearings and it happens in lower gears first (1 first and then makes it way up to 2 and 3 as mileage goes up). This gearbox noise goes away if you 'coast' the car in neutral.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 06:55:08 PM »
Thanks all, I had a look at the service book. It explicitly says that service was done 5K miles ago and all 8 spark plugs have been changed. TBH, the video sounds much worse than real life.

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 10:38:27 PM »

What about the CVT oil change?  Very important.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 01:51:32 AM »
What about the CVT oil change?  Very important.

60% of it is changed already  ;): http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=6589.0

guest5117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
Got another CVT-F change done last night at local backstreet garage. The judder in CVT is almost gone. Just a micro judder left. Not enough to worry me.

A quick question.

Is it safe to have your foot on the brake when stationary, just like a torque converter auto?

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 11:07:16 AM »
Is it safe to have your foot on the brake when stationary, just like a torque converter auto?

Reading my manual it states with the CVT transmission you should shift into neutral 'if it necessary to stop briefly with the engine idling', I assume that is to stop wear on the transmission system.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 01:46:04 PM »
I tend to slip into neutral for more than a brief stop.

My mind thinks the built-in creep must be wearing something. Maybe it isn't and it is just the drag of the oil, but it's a habit now. Years ago, I had a Micra K11 CVT as a rental car, that didn't have any creep built into the system, which I prefer.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 02:28:41 PM »

Reading my manual it states with the CVT transmission you should shift into neutral 'if it necessary to stop briefly with the engine idling', I assume that is to stop wear on the transmission system.

I can't find any mention of this in my manual. Do you have a page reference perchance please?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 06:04:39 PM »

I would assume any car with CVT would monitor the handbrake and footbrake positions and not try to drive against the brakes - even my wifes Fiat Punto had this feature (I know because the switch on the footbrake pedal went bad and it wouldn't take up the drive sometimes - very embarrassing at junctions and islands).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 06:59:58 PM »

I can't find any mention of this in my manual. Do you have a page reference perchance please?

Section about Automatic Transmission (CVT), page 283 of my owners manual, paragraph headed 'Neutral (N)'
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:06:49 PM by Hobo »

Tags:

anything