Poll

Have you experienced starting issues with the mk3 Jazz?

Yes
1 (9.1%)
No
7 (63.6%)
Occasionally
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: February 10, 2017, 11:06:18 AM

Author Topic: Starting issues  (Read 16865 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Starting issues
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »
The AA guy specifically told me that flooring the accelerator cuts the fuel to the engine if done while starting. Once the fuel flooding the engine reduces to the point where it fires up releasing the accelerator allows the engine to run. My assumption is the ECU protects the engine if you try to start it at full revs.

And there was me thinking on my return to petrol power after three decades of diesel that all the problems caused by carburettors, chokes, etc had been resolved with computer control of engine functions. Silly me!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:34:39 PM by Deeps »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »
Yeah I had this happen on my previous Jazz once. It was also a cold damp day when I backed out of the garage to get at some tools before driving it back in.

As for my current Jazz, as expected now that the weather has improved it's starting first time every time at normal idle revs. I have, however, had a few cases recently where it's not responding to the accelerator very well. Now that I have more experience I can say that the problem is that it's sometimes reluctant to move from Atkinson to Otto cycle even though the accelerator pedal is half way to the floor. Releasing then rapidly re-applying the accelerator usually wakes it up but it's annoying. The only good thing is that if this is a fault developing I might finally be able to get it fixed.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2017, 09:29:22 PM »
By repeatedly trying to start my car I was making the flooding worse as the car was on full choke petrol amounts each time. With the shiny AA boot on the accelerator it started after about five seconds of engine rotation.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:33:02 PM by Deeps »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2017, 07:42:04 AM »
I was linked to this on another forum. I found it helpful to a computer controlled petrol engine geriatric virgin.

http://www.gmtuners.com/tech/modes.htm

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 07:49:35 AM »
I was linked to this on another forum. I found it helpful to a computer controlled petrol engine geriatric virgin.

Very interesting thanks. I see that is a GM article but I guess similar is likely to apply to all modern cars.

I assume our old (going back 13-14 years here) Micra didn't have the "clear flood mode".

Very useful to know if it happens to me. I shan't be so nervous about shunting in future.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 09:30:14 AM »

Interesting article, thanks. One slightly puzzling thing is that manual intervention is needed (>80% throttle) to enter "clear flood mode", so the driver has to know to do this. Given the amount of clever automation described in the rest of the article, why can't the engine detect that it's flooded and do the necessary automatically ? Might save some breakdown callouts.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2017, 06:58:40 PM »
This article refers to General Motors ECM, I'm not so sure that this can apply also to Honda Euro6 engines..

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »
This article refers to General Motors ECM, I'm not so sure that this can apply also to Honda Euro6 engines..

No one said it applied to Honda engines, however, it does give a general overview of what is going on within an engine ECU and ties in with the AA's version of events.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:04:35 AM by Deeps »

Tags:

anything