Author Topic: Brake front disks ?  (Read 2650 times)

guest5669

Brake front disks ?
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »
At what stage should the brake disks be replaced mines done 18k miles and theirs a lip on the front disks? Next question is wheres the best place to get disks and pads not rip off Honda parts please?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Brake front disks ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
Should not need new discs after 18K - there will be a lip because the area not swept by pads gets rusty and 'grows' to form a lip - you need to measure the the shiny area and I think it is 19mm min.

If you search discs  pads on forum you will get plenty of info about cheaper discs and pads that members have used.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 03:44:05 PM »
My son-in-law, an experienced mechanic, just takes an old screwdriver and holds it a against the edge as he spins the hub. That removes the rusty build up.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:46:13 PM »
I'm sure that if you Google 'minimum thickness of jazz disc's' that would give you your answer.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »
According to the on line manual, the maximum refinishing limit ( why cant they just say minimum) is 19mm.  Given they say the max thickness is 21 mm 2mm is not a lot to wear off.
Purely a personal experience, it might be worthwhile to remove the lip. I appreciate mass production is much more accurate but in the past I have experienced problems whereby the pad being slightly bigger than original, actually rides on the lip until it beds in affecting braking.

Maurice

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX i-shift
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 10:18:44 AM »
I used Honda Cox for my last discs/pads change. The parts were genuine Honda, but at greatly reduced prices.

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 12:14:49 AM »
Try mister auto I got my pads for my civic of them Honda OEM are actually made by textar

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

longlegpete

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Better Half's Jazz Sport 1.4 2007, MY Jazz 1.4 Ex 2009 And Another 1.4EX 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 08:03:15 AM »
As has been said,  the minimum thickness of the worn disc is 19mm, took our jazz 51,000 miles to get to that, i replaced them with Brembo discs and Pagid pads from Eurocarparts,  with there discount code total was around £70 for the lot, the setup works very well

Tags: