Author Topic: Electrics  (Read 4849 times)

guest5025

Electrics
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:34:16 PM »
Urgent.
2013 Jazz.
How can I electrically disconnect the near side door mirror?
Mechanically Ok but it has a mind of its own! It keeps folding which makes driving in traffic dangerous.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Electrics
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:41:12 PM »
Well disconnecting the wiring on that mirror, but seeing as its a 2013 Jazz then I would be inclined to take it Honda and let them sort it.

guest5025

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:48:11 PM »
Obviously that was the first thing I did.
However they quoted £90 + labour to replace it or £87 to disconnect it.
I don't know what caused the problem; vandalism? At this expense I am unwilling to gamble on it not happening again.
At the moment, as soon as the engine is actually started the window winds fully forward and stops with a loud clunk. The driver then has to get out, go round to the near side and manually turn the mirror back to its normal position where it clicks into place. (The focussing happens to work alright in this position). The mirror stays Ok here even when the engine is switched off and the key withdrawn, only turning forward when the engine is actually started.
Any suggestions?
Maybe there is a fuse that I could remove?

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »
Having looked at a GE6 wiring diagram, the power mirrors are fed by two fuses. (check driver's handbook for details)

First fuse (possibly No 10 - 7.5A) covers the movement of the mirrors (both glass and retraction)
Second fuse (possibly No 55 - 10A) cover the heating defogger elements in the mirror glass.

Therefore if you pull the fuse to stop retraction, you'll also lack adjustment of the glasses.

Disconnection might be a bit of a chore too as I guess it'll be on a multiplug and if you disconnect the rogue mirror you'll lose all function that side. Also, by the time you have got to the plug you might have just as well changed the mirror assembly.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:23:21 AM »
If there is no obvious damage and the fault is easily and consistently replicable then I would expect Honda to be willing to fix it under warranty and without charge. Something is defective and causing the abnormal behavior.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »
Why did Honda want to charge when this is surely a warranty job?
Time to change your dealer?
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »
Why did Honda want to charge when this is surely a warranty job?

That is what I was wondering, maybe they think it has been caused by damage and is not covered.

guest5025

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 02:12:05 PM »
First fuse (possibly No 10 - 7.5A) covers the movement of the mirrors (both glass and retraction)
Second fuse (possibly No 55 - 10A) cover the heating defogger elements in the mirror glass.
Thank you Eddie Honda. I am defeated!
The Jazz is my wife's car. It dates from August 2013 and 22,200 miles (could be kilometers?), driven by me (minimally) and my wife and lots of our daughter's carers. Donnelly Honda in Belfast say that the mirror was damaged and not covered by the guarantee.
I cannot find the interior fuse box. There seem to be four parameters here: power mirror heaters (I think so), folding door mirrors(yes), automatic air-con system (yes), auto-idle stop (no idea; not listed in the index to allow me to check). All not helped by the manual being unclear between the text and the graphics about which is the 'driver's side'.
Fuse 10 in my manual seem to be for heating, air conditioning (always assuming that this is the relevant manual for this Jazz). It does look from the manual that fuse 55 is the one. I will take it into Donnelly's and ask them to remove it (FOC) and go from there.

Tags:

anything