Author Topic: long life sparkplugs  (Read 6958 times)

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
long life sparkplugs
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »
Just had 3 year/ 37500 miles service carried out on my 2011 jazz, car is just 3 years old  with 27000 miles on clock.
On checking the job sheet I noticed the spark plugs had not been changed, service manager pointed out that this model jazz is fitted with long life plugs, and will not need a change until 70000 miles!
I would be interested in what other members think of long life plugs.  My only experience of  them to date has not been good,although not in a Honda engine .  I have had them on 3 previous VW s, and was not impressed!  None of the sets of so called long life plugs lasted much longer than standard plugs. The VW dealers assured me that the long lifers were good for double the mileage of standard plugs. I did not find this to be true, with progressive bad starting and general sub standard performance which was cured strait away with new plugs.
70000 miles on a set of plugs does seem a bit optimistic to me, or am I being a bit pessimistic?

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: long life sparkplugs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 08:50:21 PM »
Yep, mine were changed at 75k whether they needed changing or not. 8 plugs in the hybrid too  ;)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:20:40 AM »
Long life plugs are great if you do high mileage, but for drivers on a say a few thousand a year not good.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »
The thing that kills spark plugs is the erosion (opening up) of the electrodes by the ignition spark (in fact there are charts available to show how much the gap will increases per thousand miles) and deterioration of the ceramic insulation.  Modern ceramics are much improved and Platinum and Iridium both resist the high temperature and the spark erosion very well, most 'long life' spark plugs use Iridium.  Fouling or coating of the plug insulators may be a problem for low mileage engines.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
If you run on low grade  (eg supermarket) petrol and do lots of short journeys, any spark plug will collect a deposit of burned furl/dirt etc.

Either use a fuel with proven cleaning agents (BP Ultimate, Shell V power) or do regular (weekly) Italian tuneups.

Long life plugs have iridium tips :these do not wear as quickly as standard ones - so the gaps do not widen with use - but they still will get deposits of crud. Deposits which heat up and interfere with the accurate timing and speed of ignition if bad.

http://tinyurl.com/octjd8h

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »
im at 29000 with no problems, i just hate that the plugs are tucked away so tightly so its a good thing they only get changed at longer intervals as all the cowling, wiper motor and metal tray underneath needs removing just to change them, i would have preferred they put the engine in the other way round and the plugs at the front

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 08:57:53 AM »
I always warm the engine up thoroughly before removing the plugs  - as plugs that have been in for a while can be pretty tight to get out (the aluminium of the engine will expand more than the steel of the plug and makes it easier to undo the plug) - wait for engine to cool before fitting the new plugs.  Longlife plugs will have a nice shiny nickel plating on the thread to stop the aluminium and steel attacking each other and 'bonding' the plug into the cylinder head (I have had some sticky ones in the past that I thought would surely strip out the thread from the aluminium, but warming the engine, some good penetrating oil and turning the plugs back and forth - rather than trying to get them out by turning them the same way - have done the trick).  Use copa slip (molybdenum disulphide grease) or copper grease on the thread to ensure easier removal next time or for next owner. 

And never - ever overtighten the plugs (you can damage the insulator or gas seal, and in extreme cases the fine aluminium thread will strip out and you will be left with an expensive repair job),  the tightening torque is quite low (they have a fine thread and a 'crush' washer under the plug which forms the seal), it is normally hand tight and then just 1/2 turn - normally specified on the packaging the plug came in.  If you have a torque wrench and have lubricated the thread reduce the recommended torque by a third.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/installation.asp
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:21:19 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 08:47:22 PM »
I would change the plugs when the time interval had flagged it up, a close friend of mine ended up with a large bill after the spark plug electrode fell into the cylinder and wrecked the valves and piston, luckily the block and head were OK.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

Tags:

anything