Author Topic: Time for a new battery?  (Read 2406 times)

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
Time for a new battery?
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:27:35 AM »
Wondering if it's time to change the battery on my 6 year old GD.  I bought one of the ciggie lighter voltage displays for my LR & have been trying it out on the old Jazz.  When running the alternator is typically pumping out ~14.2v, however when the engine is shut down & the key still in position 1 (I think) the battery voltage is 12.4v then falls over the next minute or so to 12.0v then stabilises at 11.8v.  Typical value after leaving overnight is 11.0v but starts ok.  She normally does short local journeys only but last week had a couple of fairly long trips so should have been nicely changed up.

With winter heading our way is it time to change the battery?  With the hassle it seems to be to change them i'd just take it to a deaer and do it for £99.

Battery needing changed?

TIA

bill888

• Approved Member
Re: Time for a new battery?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »
Yes, it does indeed look like you need a new battery given the age and you are observing readings below 12v if the meter is indeed accurate.  A lot of owners here have reported replacing the original battery before the car's 6th birthday.

fwiw, eurocarparts doing 15% off batteries with BATTERY15 discount code.  A Bosch S4018 battery is around £53.

Many owners including myself have changed the battery themselves, or visited to Halfords to get them to change it.  Afterwards, all you then have to do is reset the front electric windows limit switches, and take car out for a drive on mixture of roads to help reset the CVT.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:07:57 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »
11.8V is a bit low, I would agree.  It is no big deal changing a battery.  You need a 10mm spanner for the terminals and also the clamp.  Just loosen the nut 3-4 turns and wriggle off the terminal

Suggest do it before the weather gets permanently cold, since batteries do not perform well in cold weather.  Fortunately, Jazzs are quick starters.
If music be the food of love, play on

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »
Reason I thought about just getting it done at the local(ish) dealer was the thread re resetting the EMS, didn't want to knacker anything electronic up.  If it's a simple take the leads of & swap out then no problem, can do that.  Will have a look at the Bosch battery.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 07:31:09 AM »
My workshop, for some reason disconnected the battery.  I only noticed it since the fuel consumption meter had reset itself.  Everything else worked the same.
If music be the food of love, play on

Tags:

anything