Author Topic: Oil consumption.  (Read 5945 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Oil consumption.
« on: December 02, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »
My car has used 250ml of oil over the 5,000 miles from new. To be expected with a new engine, how are other cars doing.

250ml = from half way between the dipstick marks to the full mark.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Oil consumption.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 03:17:08 PM »
My car has used 250ml of oil over the 5,000 miles from new. To be expected with a new engine, how are other cars doing.

250ml = from half way between the dipstick marks to the full mark.

Got my car on June 9th and now have 7000 miles. Mine is on the max mark (top black line on orange plastic section).

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 03:42:23 PM »
None whatsoever as far as I could tell last week. I don't think any of my Hondas have ever consumed oil.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:41:25 PM »
None whatsoever as far as I could tell last week. I don't think any of my Hondas have ever consumed oil.

Never had Civics or Jazzes use any oil between changes - even at 185K (miles) my first Civic didn't use a drop.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:56:19 PM »
Same here. 4 Hondas and no visible evidence of oil consumption between oil changes.

PS

Should add, all my Hondas have been second hand so I haven't had experience of a new car.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 10:43:38 PM »
I've never noticed any drop in the oil level to make me think about adding any oil in between the annual service for the 3 Jazzes I have owned (2 from new), but only did around 5 to 6 k miles/year.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 11:01:09 AM »
Mk1 never used any and the mk3 is at 8000miles and none used.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 07:54:15 AM »
Deeps, on the face of it the replies you have had would leave me mildly concerned. OTOH 250 ml in 5000 miles is hardly a problem. Have you asked the Honda dealer about it? Don't suppose there are any leaks visible?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:58:44 AM by mikebore »

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 09:07:07 AM »
I am not concerned and Honda won't be interested as the book says consumption of up to a litre every 625 miles (1,000Km) is acceptable and consumption is likely to be higher when the engine is new, which I knew anyway. I do not have any leaks and while I have mechanical sympathy and would not use high revs until the engine is fully warm I regularly get into vtec territory. Now I have a baseline of 250ml in 5,000 miles I will see what the next 5,000 uses.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 09:42:31 AM »
Gosh...I think I would be concerned if I was using a litre every 625 miles! That's nearly a pint every 300 miles which is worse than pre war engines of my youth.

We used to say that a little bit of consumption was better than none.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 09:47:56 AM »
Gosh...I think I would be concerned if I was using a litre every 625 miles! That's nearly a pint every 300 miles which is worse than pre war engines of my youth.

We used to say that a little bit of consumption was better than none.

More or less my thoughts, I am way off being concerned.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 09:56:47 AM »
A lot of motorbike engines these days has some variant of Nikasil liner to the cylinder,  they do not have a separate cast iron liner but the Nikasil is electro-coated straight onto the aluminium.  This reduces friction, reduces oil consumption, greatly increases the heat transfer between piston, piston rings and the cooling water.  As a result the engines can be tuned to give higher power, and many bike engines will now do mega miles before a rebuild.

It also reduces weight,  which is important on a car,  but even more so on a motorbike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 03:22:54 PM »
Didn't BMW have to replace many engines using nikasil cylinder bores because of high oil consumption?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 03:50:17 PM »
Nikasil is the oldest technology coating and its composition was changed because some fuel ingredients (sulphur in particular - cheap supermarket fuels were blamed) attacked it.  Modern coatings like eg. Suzuki SCEM  ( Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material) is race proven and have been used for a long time without problems.

I know Peugeot used to chrome plate their bores,  but still used an iron liner

https://www.torquecars.com/bmw/nikasil-issue.php
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:55:23 PM by culzean »

Tags: