Author Topic: from MK1 to MK2 Jazz - Considering Switching- Just How different they are?  (Read 20892 times)

guest5168

My 2003 jazz has been rock solid reliable however now since the 2009+ prices have dropped considering upgrading, to 2009-2010 1.4 jazz

Have reached 340,000km on my old jazz now although mechanically it's still perfect some rust has started appearing almost everywhere underneath ,couple it with some dents/scratches from other retards and the rather slow 1.2 engine thinking about the upgrade more and more...

Was wondering if anyone has had both Generation Jazz'es and can tell how different are they? Heard that the new MK2 is a bit larger?

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
Re: from MK1 to MK2 Jazz - Considering Switching- Just How different they are?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 10:18:58 AM »
I had my Mk1 Jazz for six years and loved it. When it was time to change I went for a Mk2. The later Jazz feels bigger on the inside for only a small increase in the external measurements. It is quieter, the steering and suspension are better and it is more economical. However I cannot say I like as much as my MK1. I have never been able to find a comfortable seating position. I normally like to sit fairly upright but with the seat in this position  I find that the head restraint is to far forward. As there is no adjustment on the head restraint I have had to recline the backrest a lot more than I would like. Also with the CVT the performance is lacklustre, probably because max torque is much higher up the rev range. Also there are a few minor issues such as the missing seal from the front edge of the bonnet, after a few trips along a wet motorway the engine is filthy.  In fact I am thinking of changing it for Fiesta 1.0 Powershift. In many ways the Jazz is better than the Fiesta but ergonomically I find the Fiesta more comfortable and it is much better to drive.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »
GE (MK2) has the VTEC engine, which is ultimately more powerful but needs more revving than the I-DSi GD (MK1) which seems to be more flexible at lower revs but runs out of steam above about 4500 (just when the VTEC engine starts to sing) - from experience you can find yourself in wrong gear on the VTEC and it can be a bit sluggish at lower revs, which didn't seem to bother the IDS-i engine nearly so much.  IMHO the GD is nice around town, GE is better for main road / motorway work although neither can be considered bad at either.   GE rides better as suspension seems a bit more sorted - If you are buying a GE check for spare wheel as many don't even get a spacesaver any more.

I had to make similar decision as you when I had my original mark 6 Civic (same shape as Rover 400 as they shared the body) the engine at 186K had never had a spanner on it, was sweet and always started first time,  was quiet and used no oil and was surprisingly lively,  but rust was appearing around rear wheel arch,  body work is expensive to fix so I traded it in for a 1.4 GD Jazz which I kept for 6 years and am now back to 1.8 Civic (for last couple of years),  but her indoors  swapped her GD for a GE Jazz 1.4 Si a little while ago and I have driven it a fair bit.

one thing I miss about the GD is the rear drum brakes,  never had a moments trouble with them and handbrake was good.  Rear Discs are a pain in the butt and a never ending source of problems.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:43:20 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:07:46 AM »
On the downside  the majority of GD Jazz were made in Japan whereas   the majority  if GE Jazz were made  here in UK/Swindon not that  I am saying  the quality  is just as good! Also engine  compartment on GE not as diy friendly try changing spark plugs  on them even though there's only 4 instead  of 8 and it uses  platinum spark plugs

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »
When I bought my Jazz - a 1.4EX manual on a "10" plate, I drove a number of cars including a couple of MK1s. In fact the first Jazz I drove was a MK1 with the 1.4dsi engine. I was trading down from a 1.8 Civic and I felt the 1.4dsi seriously lacking in torque and altogether a bit breathless.

The first 1.4 Mk2 I drove just seemed in a different class in terms of torque and all round zippyness. It must be the ivtec engine I guess.

In short, if I had only driven the MK1 I would not have bought a Jazz. No disrespect to the car but the 1.4 ivtec just seems in a different class to the 1.4dsi in terms of driver satisfaction although the actual stats are probably not that different.

guest5168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:45:56 PM »
When I bought my Jazz - a 1.4EX manual on a "10" plate, I drove a number of cars including a couple of MK1s. In fact the first Jazz I drove was a MK1 with the 1.4dsi engine. I was trading down from a 1.8 Civic and I felt the 1.4dsi seriously lacking in torque and altogether a bit breathless.

The first 1.4 Mk2 I drove just seemed in a different class in terms of torque and all round zippyness. It must be the ivtec engine I guess.

In short, if I had only driven the MK1 I would not have bought a Jazz. No disrespect to the car but the 1.4 ivtec just seems in a different class to the 1.4dsi in terms of driver satisfaction although the actual stats are probably not that different.
Agree I have to constanly rev mine to the limit if I don't want to drive like a pensioner. Overtaking more than 1car is just plain risky how slow it is :D And climbing hills with it you feel like a driving breathless 50Ton Lorry.
well the Mk2 has 23 more HP from the same size engine so not exactly ''the same'' and that's one of the reasons i also want to upgrade as honestly the 1.2 mk1 is just too boring.
I would probably prefer the 2006+ Space age Shaped 1.8 Civic if the visibility wasn't pretty bad and the car itself wasnt  badly made as i have heard,correct me If I'm wrong?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:25:08 AM »
I take severe exception to your pensioner driving  remarks: :P

As a pensioner, a driving day without 5,000 rpm is like drinking gin without tonic water... >:(

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
I take severe exception to your pensioner driving  remarks: :P
As a pensioner, a driving day without 5,000 rpm is like drinking gin without tonic water... >:(

Me too !  ;)

The I-Vtec engine is very flexible and will potter along in fifth at 25mph but it also loves to rev.
When accelerating hard through the gears you first feel the variable valve timing bringing in the second inlet valve at about 3500rpm then 5000rpm is easily reached. Keep your foot hard down and hear the howl and feel the engine respond even more eagerly as 6000rpm is reached. Brain says change up a gear and already you are at 6500rpm, the start of the red line.

The engine never feels under any strain, just very eager. I don't use the engine like this all the time, only when I need to, like some overtaking moves. Most of the time I am at the other end of the scale. One comment, the manual gearbox definitely needs a sixth gear.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 05:45:54 PM »
I would probably prefer the 2006+ Space age Shaped 1.8 Civic if the visibility wasn't pretty bad and the car itself wasnt  badly made as i have heard,correct me If I'm wrong?

I swapped from a Jazz to a MK8 Civic a couple of years ago,  the visibility isn't as bad as some people like to say it is,  the rear spoiler keeps those nasty German projector headlights (the ones that light up the roof lining of the car in front,  and dazzle the eyeballs of any approaching driver - (and thats when they are dipped) out of your interior mirror.  The MK8 Civic is not badly made either - and the 1.8 VTEC is a real gem of an engine trust me.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 05:49:03 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 05:59:11 PM »
On the downside  the majority of GD Jazz were made in Japan whereas   the majority  if GE Jazz were made  here in UK/Swindon not that  I am saying  the quality  is just as good!

You can bet the rustproofing will better on the UK made Jazz - they don't salt the roads in Japan so never bothered to rustproof their cars very well.  If quality of cars made in UK is that bad why are BMW, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc. still here and doing very nicely thank you.  BMW make all their 4 cylinder engines at Hams Hall plant near Birmingham and they are sent all over the world from there. Also most formula 1 teams are based in England for the quality of our engineering,  a big percentage of worlds Satellites are made in UK and we have the second largest aerospace industry behind USA. I hate it when people disrespect our manufacturing skills.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »
Your best bet would be to drive the later model for at least 30 mins, that would provide a range of driving conditions.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 03:13:09 PM »
I was very tempted to get the older style as it represents excellent value.

It came down to wanting cruise control, aircon and auto - and the only combo that had wanted was the iShift EX

Otherwise I would have gone with the older shape.

If it pleases you to get the newer one - dont hesitate SPEND your CASH! Enjoy before you pop your clogz!

guest5168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 02:21:04 AM »
I was very tempted to get the older style as it represents excellent value.

It came down to wanting cruise control, aircon and auto - and the only combo that had wanted was the iShift EX

Otherwise I would have gone with the older shape.

If it pleases you to get the newer one - dont hesitate SPEND your CASH! Enjoy before you pop your clogz!
lol im 24, driving it just because it's probably the cheapest car to Run and maintain yet you still get some decent space to haul stuff around. In the last ~200,000km I have had it have probably spent around Grand total of 100euros in Repairs for it.  Im not planing to upgrade just because they are fun to drive...

Bump!

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »
I read with interest the comments re the VTech engine and not wanting to drive like a pensioner.  WeeeeLL, We recently exchanged our old Rover 45 V6 Auto for a 2010 Honda EX I Shift.  Yes, it was a shock as the old Rover was a tank BUT she would still get a move on. Comfort was excellent with leather seats BUT anno domini was the problem. After a couple of months with the Jazz, I can honestly say that given a bit of wellie the Jazz will romp up and down hills with the best of them. If you are worried about fuel then you will have to put up with  sluggishness. After the Rovers 25mpg at well over 45mpg with the Honda I suppose I am a bit blase. My Wife and I have fortnightly 100 mile round trip using the A30 in Cornwall, not known for being fuel consumption friendly.  I am a pensioner but I refuse to subscribe to the 'class' we are often labelled with. I am ashamed to admit, when overtaking the other day to be well into the 'naughty zone'. Before we get the howls of rage, I was taught to drive according to Roadcraft, many of you would probably never heard of the publication. It is the book by which police were taught. A four week driving course set me up for  my service and later but as long as I remember I have slowed down a bit, my driving skills are still there.  Yes acceleration is not up to sports car performance but hey guys come on the Jazz ain't no sports car.  I have just used the cruise control for the first time and I can honestly say, contrary to what I thought, the Jazz went up and down through the box maintaining a 'set' speed. Yes steep hills, of which there are  a few here need the help of the size 10 but apart from my earlier disappointment with the dealer, the car is growing on me BUT I do miss my nice heated seats in the cold mornings.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »
just reading auntyneddy's post above, I often wonder if a lot of us actually fail to use the car's full potential (any car come to that). I rarely go above 3500 revs but why not every once in a while?

Tags:

anything