Author Topic: what is this noise?  (Read 10812 times)

guest5117

what is this noise?
« on: December 04, 2014, 07:08:07 AM »
Hi All
I get this noise when moving from park to reverse. Then there is no noise in neutral. Then there is a bit of noise in drive. This was on a cold morning but engine had warmed up after driving a few miles.
I get this every morning when switching in to reverse. It becomes better and better as car warms up.
Sounds like a metal belt or chain noise.

http://youtu.be/8ApLsaX0KWE

Thanks

guest5117

• Topic Starter
Re: what is this noise?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 02:20:51 PM »
Got my ODB2 scanner today. Plugged it in and got code P1352.  No engine light though! I deleted code. Drove a couple of miles and checked again and code was back.Do I need to be worried?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
That code relates to an ignition coil issue.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 07:04:16 PM »
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/98/SAA2E98K72100081155FAAT10.HTML

Which noise and I listening out for exactly in the clip?

guest5117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »
The sound is very faint in the video but it's quite audible in real life. It's the sound difference between car bring in park or neutral, compared with car in reverse.

guest5117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 08:24:44 AM »
Today, first thing early morning, it was still dark. I took my tools and set about diagnosing the culprit ignition coil. Thats when I found this. The person who had replaced the spark plugs last time must have been in a hurry and not plugged in the connector for IGN 1 on the rear. Plugged in the connector and problem solved  :D  No more DTC code.

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »
Just shows, well done.

guest5117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 07:43:28 AM »
Sorry for going on and on about this.
Is the sound clearer in this video?
Honda Jazz CVT noise when cold: http://youtu.be/EG-nkrSGQCc

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 08:10:28 AM »
Could be your auxillary drive belt that is making the noise, I had a similar noise in both my Jazz and when I replaced the belts the noise disappeared completely. The noise sounds like a metallic chirping/rustling and when I examined the old belts they were not that worn at all (one had done 32,000 miles and the other 66,000 miles) but the noise sure disappeared. Its not that difficult to replace the belt if you are mechanically minded, you just have to loosen 2 bolts for the alternator, one is the pivot bolt at the bottom, the other the securing bolt at the top and the complete belt then just slips off. Its just a bit fiddly as its quite tight in the engine compartment in that area but it helps if you remove the RH side undertray. Good luck

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 08:20:13 AM »
If that's the slightly squeaky/chirping sound when the load goes on the engine at cold, agree it could be a alternator belt. They can make awful squawking sounds when old/hard/slack. Especially when cold.

Whilst changing the belt check the pulleys for play. Bearings (alternator) don't last long if someone has gone a bit mad overtightening the belt in the past

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 08:59:04 AM »
There is indeed a metal belt in the transmission on the CVT,  used as the main power transfer device between the tapered pulleys.

I can't see the selection of a D or R making a difference to the load on the auxiliary drive belt as that only powers water pump, alternator and aircon pump.

Sometimes on the aux belt the idler pulley bearing can make a noise (or most of the bearings in its path if it is too tight) the toothed belts don't slip and squeal like to old 'Vee' belts when they get slack.

According to Honda the flat toothed aux drive belt (or serpentine belt) is made of kevlar and polyurethane and doesn't have a fixed change interval and only gets changed if it frays or cracks are evident - Honda spare parts guy told me he had a Honda Integra with over 120K on clock and still original belt - but its life depends on being tensioned properly.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
The  other  way to confirm whether  its the belt that's  making the noise is to spray silicon or a belt dressing spray on it and if the noise disappears that confirms it. Oh and the other thing is it has not  got a automatic  belt tensioner  so the  tension of the belt is adjusted via the alternator  itself

guest5117

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 10:10:54 AM »
hi
I finally got hold of "belt spray" and sprayed it on the aux belt. No difference on this sound. I was talking about it to local garage guy and he said it sounded like when the car starts up the transmission is starved off oil and it just takes a little time for it to get settled. I am going to have to follow NHS procedures on this; do nothing now and wait for it to get really bad so then it can be treated like emergency.

Cheers

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 11:15:02 AM »
Yeah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep going........ until you break it. ;D

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »

If you have no service record of CVT oil change, it may be worth changing for nice new correct fluid .

Tags: