Author Topic: CVT Fluid Questions  (Read 9051 times)

guest5618

CVT Fluid Questions
« on: October 20, 2016, 09:48:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 1.4 CVT Jazz, which recently has started to suffer from CVT judder. I plan on flushing the CVT fluid as I don't think it has ever been done... :o or at least has not been recorded on the service history.

I know I have to use Honda CVT-F, but I'm not too sure where to get it from (I presume... Honda?), or exactly how much of it to use.

I read on here somewhere that they take 3.75 litres, but could do with that being confirmed.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Jack

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: CVT Fluid Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »
If Honda are nearby then the dealer, but you can get it posted online.  A 4 litre bottle is about £35.
Drain and refill through the plug is 3.2 litres (although complete dismantle and rebuild inc hoses and cooler etc is 5.4L).

I do wonder if it's possible to drain out an extra 0.8L to use up the full bottle.
--
TG

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
Like most autos, you can't get the whole lot out in one go. Even if you wait all day, at best 3.5L will be drained.

A flush is two drain and refills with a bit of start clutch burning action in between. Every drop of oil still does come out, but most of it has been replaced at that point.

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »
Both my Jazz CVT's (43,000 and 86,000 miles) have been suffering judder and I have had the fluid flushed and refilled with Honda CVT-F transmission fluid which seems to cure the problem for a while but then the judder always seems to come back after a while. I recently had both car's fluid changed but unfortunately this time the judder came back within 1 months. Out of curiousity I searched the internet for a cheap cure (if any there was one!)and came across this website
http://www.oilextreme.com/honda.html and thought I had had nothing to lose but the price of a bottle http://www.oilextreme.co.uk/product/177ml6-fl-oz-bottle-of-oil-extreme-concentrate-additive/ so today I firstly added half a bottle to my higher mileage Jazz and then took it out for a run and believe it or not the judder had completely disappeared. Not quite convinced I poured the remaining half bottle in my other Jazz and hey presto the judder also completely disappeared. That single bottle had cost me £28.84 enough to treat 2 cars and its the best value I have spent to eliminate the dreaded judder. As for how long it remains judder free only time will tell and I will keep you all posted.
I have never believed in any form of oil additives but in this instance it has worked for me.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:08:37 AM »
.... for how long it remains judder free only time will tell and I will keep you all posted.  I have never believed in any form of oil additives but in this instance it has worked for me.
It would be useful to know;  some have used Xado EX120 - a toothpaste like substance that's <£20 and had excellent results, but have not been back here to report if it's remained effective over an extended period.  I assume it must have been, as they didn't post back that it was rubbish.
--
TG

jazzangela

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz se cvt 07
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 11:18:38 PM »
Very interested in the above comments. My wife's 07 se cvt was purchased last year with under 10,000 miles on the clock so we've just had the 12k miles service done by the local Honda garage only to be told that the starter clutch judders and requires replacing at £650 fitted! That hurt, and no mention of flushing the system. Could anybody tell me whether the fluid change plus the recommended Xando EX120 additive would be the way to go as the judder is at present hardly noticeable.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »
Something sounds fishy there jazzangela; if the mileage is genuine at 10K it sounds strange that it would need anything doing to the CVT gearbox. Were they short of work in that garage?

jazzangela

• Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 11:00:20 PM »
From the comprehensive documents that came with this car the previous owner was an 85 year old lady who had driven only 1856 miles in the last 3 years (from mot details) and she had it annually serviced including winter checks by her local dealer. We picked it up at 9700 miles and were unaware of the problem.
Honda are not at all interested in our problem, head office or dealers and the point you make is perhaps right, they are either short of work or not prepared to advise of an alternative ie. flush the transmission twice.
We like the car, it's 9 years old with only 13k on the clock, it's spotless inside, a bit sun faded on the outside (red) and we expect to do 4-5k a year in it.
A relative had a similar car and she had both a flush and later a starter clutch replacement done under warranty, that's why I'm considering installing xado ex120 additive myself following the flush. Any comments/ideas?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 03:19:39 PM »
Low mileage vehicles can be a headache, I would be changing all the fluids oil + anti-freeze etc, get the air con recharged & check the age of all tyres -  replace if over 5years. look over the mechanics for rust corrosion .

Best to flush x 2 cans of CVT as prev stated.

jazzangela

• Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 11:08:47 PM »
Thanks for the latest reply. Well, it's off to have a double flush plus front pads and airconn done so all should be back to normal (for a while!) but I still would like to know if anyone has had experience with the additive previously mentioned.
Thanks again as your comments have been extremely useful.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »
Low mileage vehicles can be a headache, I would be changing all the fluids oil + anti-freeze etc, get the air con recharged & check the age of all tyres -  replace if over 5years. look over the mechanics for rust corrosion .

Low mileage vehicles can turn out to be a real can of worms, people should not be afraid of miles with a modern car (although they can be a good bargaining point,  my wifes 2012 1.4 Si was 18 months old and had 38K on the clock when she bought it from local main dealer,  because of miles most potential buyers ignored it even though the price was lower than normal, but I advised her to buy it and it has been a great car,  apart from rear brakes it has required no work at all).

Things can deteriorate badly if a car is not used frequently and given a decent run regularly to get everything hot, boil the condensation out of the oil and exhaust pipe and keep battery well charged etc.  As for full service history,  I doubt dealer would change the oil every year at that low annual mileage, or even replace any filters - probably just polished the car and handed it back,  that will be 200 notes thanks Mrs X.   I bet this cars rev counter hasn't been north of 2K since it was new,  that in itself is not good thing as Honda engines need, and love to rev, and you need to blow cobwebs out every so often (an Italian tune-up on the motorway).

Other posters  report good results when using CVT additives so you really have nothing to lose by trying them.   I would also tip 500ml of Redex into the petrol tank at next fill-up and give the fuel system and injectors a spring clean to clear out stalactites and stalagmites and other assorted gunge.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:55:22 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6158

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 03:46:28 PM »
 Hi Guys I have been testing the EX120 sorry not been on here for a while PC problems  the judder went for about 2k,  the car is back to a judder , I am glad some one has found the extreme oil at a great price I only found it at £120 from the USA , On Ebay you can get the Honda CVT oil at £35 for 4 ltrs Yes its the real stuff , I am going to change the oil as the car is a high mileage at 87k on a 54 plate, I will also get some extreme oil too, Now the wife Jazz 05 plate 42k had a tiny judder so changed oil drove for 100 miles changed again judder has gone so I will put some extreme oil in this one as well , I have not tried the clutch burn just in case I get it wrong and damage it

guest4219

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 10:35:14 PM »
When did Honda replace the original "start clutch" with a torque converter equivalent?
Is there a VIN number from which the change may be ascertained?
I would like to know  in case I want to upgrade my 52 plate CVT to a later model.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »
The CVT box was reintroduced on the post facelift model introduced in 2011. The torque converter clutch was introduced at the same time.
My car was registered in mid June 2011 and has them.

Vic.

guest4219

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 02:52:33 PM »
Thank you, Vic.

Tags: