Author Topic: Jazz tailgate  (Read 6122 times)

guest5079

Jazz tailgate
« on: October 15, 2016, 01:23:31 PM »
Is there anyone that can help with this please:

Honda Fit 2014/15 tailgate what is the difference with this and the MK 2 Jazz tailgate OR does anyone know where I can find out.
Ali Express have a chrome finisher for $20.23 also how does one buy from Ali Express? I know someone answered this some time back  HELP.

After weeks of searching I have found a chrome trim for the bottom of the rear hatch door which is rusting just along the bottom.   I did a post re paintwork and this would be the answer to just painting the bottom lip as it would cover the hard line and would also mean that the door would not have to be repainted. BUT it's for a FIT as above.

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
Re: Jazz tailgate
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »
Be aware that the Mk3 Jazz/Fit  appeared to the rest of the world in 2014, so the trim you are referring to is probably for a Mk 3. As far as I can see the Fit and Jazz appear to have the same body shell , but looking at the MK 3 seems completely different to the Mk 2. Pity, because that trim would solve your tailgate edge problem--if it would fit (no pun intended !).

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 09:17:02 PM »
Buying from AliExpress is like buying from professional sellers on eBay or Amazon Marketplace except there may be a month to wait for delivery.  It is part of Alibaba, the largest internet company in China.  On it's peak single day last year it logged sales of £9bn, that's double what John Lewis does in a year (reference).

Unlike Amazon it does not sell items itself, but acts as a platform for other merchants.  Payment details are not passed on to the merchant but dealt with by AliExpress; if you are happy buying from eBay, then the process and protections are similar.

Some of the merchants have great stuff, others have stuff worse than Peckham market.

Returns are effectively impossible for us due to the high postage cost by Royal Mail.  Quite how it's more expensive to send a letter locally than post a parcel from China I don't know; I've had electronic components delivered in less than a week for under £1 all in.

By comparing these two listing I suspect this item is for a Mk3 Jazz/Fit; it seems to be stuck to the face rather than the edge so might not cover the suspect paint.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FIT-FOR-2014-2015-Honda-Fit-JAZZ-CHROME-REAR-TRUNK-TAILGATE-DOOR-LID-COVER-BOOT-TRIM/32666285019.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ACCESSORIES-FIT-FOR-2014-2015-2016-HONDA-FIT-JAZZ-CHROME-REAR-TRUNK-TAILGATE-BACK-DOOR-LID/32601404526.html

A 'Chips Away' type repair service might be the best bet for an impossible to spot resolution.
--
TG

guest6316

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 04:23:44 AM »
Chips Away highly recommended and prices don't rock the boat.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »
Thanks for the responses. The illustration is not sufficient to judge about the tailgate but is so tantalising.
The idea is not to cover the rust but the hard line that would occur if I just sprayed in the bottom edge after doing the rust proofing/undercoat.  There were in fact several offers on  Aliexpress but all for the same model. I will look up the Chips Away site.
Typical of s*ds law, you think you've cracked it  and it's back to square one.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:22:34 PM »
Further update:  I did some more digging and the strip sold  via Aliexpress is 89cms wide. I measured the tailgate on our MK2 and it appears to be 89cms. I have done a paper template and I am waiting on an unsuspecting MK3 to see if the profile is the same. I have a feeling that Honda although redesigning the body panels MIGHT have kept the MK2 tailgate pressing.  Unfortunately I have been unable to find a site where the MK3 tailgate part number is disclosed to do a comparison.
Even if I don't want a shiny strip if the blessed thing fits I can always spray it to match the car, any slight differences will be masked by the contours of the strip.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Jazz tailgate
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 01:07:32 PM »
Why not use 3m transparent edge tape for cars? I also think the chrome finisher you found on Aliexpress is not an edge strip, but on top of the tailgate.
Look at this, easy to apply and you can make it any size you need. ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LSV9XH6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QHZ8W1H1BDBV9JBJ8PH5
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:10:50 PM by jazzway »

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 02:53:38 PM »
An excellent idea by Jazzway.  Also known as 'Helicopter Tape', often see it on hire cars.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EOLA24A/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006QTOI70/
--
TG

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 03:26:45 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion re the tape BUT being transparent it would not cover any remedial work I do unless I respray the whole tailgate. There is also the problem of colour match even on a respray, which would stand out like a sore thumb.
Chip and scratch?  do not seem to do remedial ( Rust) work.
The nub of the problem is a thin line of rust along the bottom edge of the tailgate and although I can treat the rust, if I touch it in using an aerosol there will  be a hard line. Even touching in with a fine brush would still be visible. These days, modern paints do not take to cutting in so, the idea of using a covering strip would be the answer. What ever I do will have to be a reasonable job as dealers would try and knock the price down if a job like this is not  halfways proficiently done.
Aliexpress, offer two finishers for the tailgate. One is as said, to replace the black finisher under the rear window and they also sell one that goes along the bottom edge. This is the one that I think might help.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ACCESSORIES-FIT-FOR-2014-2015-2016 This will bring up I think Mazda but then you can go to the Honda strip. It is advertised  as ACCESSORIES FIT FOR 201420152016 HONDA FIT JAZZ CHROME REAR TRUNK TAILGATE BACK DOOR LID COVER BOOT TRIM LIFTGATE EDGE MOLDING  US $20.23 It is illustrated on a blue MK3. Once I find a MK3 I can check the profile, which if the same means I can have a crack at the strip advertised.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 05:32:24 PM »
The 3M tape is there also in black and chrome color. But if you want to go for the Aliexpress finisher i would go to the Honda dealer with my paper template. ;)
Either way you have to do something about the rust before you put something over it.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 09:56:26 PM »
While looking for some chrome tape (to reflect a laser on a curved surface) I noticed this U shaped chrome trim that might do the job you want.  It's not permanent and easier to apply and remove than the self adhesive D section profiles.  ~£5 delivered

6M-Chrome-U-profile-Car-Trim-Molding-Edge-Guard-Strip-6-x-4mm

[url=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401034080174]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401034080174
[/url]

Door/Boot Protector Trim Strip
Suitable for car's door, air conditioner rim, grille rim etc.
6M long, cut the length you need

Package
6M U-profile Car Trim Molding Strip x 1

Item Specifications
Length    6m
Size      4mm x 6mm
Colour    Silver
Material  PVC

--
TG

guest1372

• Topic Starter

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 11:21:49 AM »
Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled, ironically digging around I found a 'Chrome strip' for a 2008/15 on Ebay, as in the one for the latest Jazz on Ali whats it. I was keeping quiet in case it turns out to be a pig in a poke but it is coming from Poland so I will report on arrival.
Once again thank you

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 03:26:51 PM »
My find of the century arrived today from Poland. If I took of the postage, what I got was reasonable.
It is a moulded strip, flat on the reverse with 3m tape for fixing is chrome coloured and beautifully cut to shape.  I would have prefered  the stainless ones being sold for the Mk3's but I couldn't find one so this will be an adequate replacement.
I will have to wait for some dry warmish weather to do the job.
 I would like to thank all those that put time and effort into finding suggestions.

Tags: