Author Topic: Automatic Gearbox Issues...  (Read 55600 times)

guest1411

Automatic Gearbox Issues...
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:46:41 AM »
I drive a 06 automatic Jazz. It has circa 60k miles on the clock and is currently due for its annual service. Until last year, this car has always been serviced at a main dealer and also had a gear box oil change. Since the last few days, the car judders while accelerating and this behaviour is occasional. Reckon, I still have my extended warranty valid and thus will get is serviced at a main dealer and I am writing to understand if anyone has had similar problems and what is the recommended solution?

Should I pay for another gearbox oil change? (when is not cheap in & around London)

Or

Does this mean the end of my gearbox?

Thanks for your time and in anticipation of your response!

guest2765

• Topic Starter
Re: Automatic Gearbox Issues...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »
legend of the ERG valve perhaps?

um since other people will more than likely ask this - is it all the time while accelerating or only some of the time? is it ok at a constant speed? have you checked all your fluids? (probably some other questions people will have too, but these will likely need answered)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »
If the judder only happens as you move away from stationary it is likely to be the starter clutch within the gearbox, this is a known problem. If you have always had the car serviced by a main dealer they should be able to help you. I have heard that Honda will consider replacement at no charge to the customer up to 7 years old depending on service record.

guest3020

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:23:01 AM »
had similar problem with mine on 54 plate.  clutch starter replaced when i bought the car. 4 years later judder when setting off.  had gearbox oil changed and this cured the fault.  have they used the correct fluid

guest1411

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »
It is a irractic and only happens when in motion i.e. not a problem with starting. It is a problem when accelerating possibly changing from 2nd gear into 3rd?

The oil used was the one for CVT gearbox but I presume I need to double check. Will call Chiswick Honda again.

Thanks for your replies till date - keep them coming the history might help someone in future as well!!

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:39:22 PM »
Hello Jaazy_H1
This definitely sounds like the start-up clutch as I had the same problem with my last SE CVT-7 on a ’06 plate at 33,167 miles. It is a known fault on the Jazz due to a design fault in the mechanism and/or CVT-fluid – Honda have modified both.
Fault manifests itself as a faint judder / vibration when starting off lasting only a few seconds at about 15-25mph. This took a bit of messing about with the dealer to get the problem sorted.
First, they did a CVT gearbox flush and fluid change [4 Nov 2011], I then had to take the car away and return it after 200 miles [23 Nov 201] for them to re-check whether the fault had cleared; they confirmed that the slight vibration was still present.
I then had to return the car for a third visit [30 Nov 2011] for the dealer to replace the start-up clutch which they did within a day (impressed with this as it is quite a big job – strip down/re-build)
ALL THIS WAS DONE FREE OF CHARGE & TREATED AS A WARRANTY CLAIM..........at that time!

Apparently, this fault with the jazz cvt gearbox has a warranty extension applied to it by Honda giving 7yrs or 100k whichever comes first, this is covered in a Technical Service Bulletin [Number: HUK000000001117] which clarifies the situation, ALL CVT-7 jazz`s with chassis build code GD1 from 02,03,04,05,06 are included in this extended warranty, it covers as a first measure flushing the gearbox & if that doesn’t work then replacement of the clutch with the modified version.

Footnote: I also had problems with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valves on a ’52 plate Sport CVT-7 and the later 06 car but this manifests itself differently with a “chugging” noise on cold start ups (particularly prominent in winter after standing overnight on the older car). On the newer ’06 car the engine developed an erratic jerkiness; this is distinctly different to the start –up clutch fault which is consistent each time you move off from standstill. Both replaced FOC under warranty.
Bottom Line: Get it into the dealer for appraisal but expect a few visits to get the clutch replaced FOC!
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »
When I select 'Drive' in my 2006 Jazz CVT there is a noticeable delay, especially first thing in the morning, before the gear engage. This is a normal with the GD CVT box. I would like to know if this characteristic is present in the current Jazz CVT that now has a torque converter in place of the starter clutch.

guest1411

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »
An update from my end - Honda replaced the starter clutch under warranty but the 'gear slip' is prominient now and only happens when I try to 'rev' the car up i.e. starting from a red light, trying to get onto the motorway from the slip road. It does appear to slip a gear and then settle down properly.

PS: The starter clutch issue took longer for Honda to fix and took several visits to the dealer but it is done and all under warranty, so thank you - Honda.

Would another flush help? Is it the problem with the EGR value?

guest4748

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 05:36:31 PM »
I'm not starting a new topic because I think my problem is related to the issues discussed here - please advise if that's wrong.

I had the dreaded judder on my CVT 05 plater and the box was flushed which must have been a couple of years ago as it was just on the 7 year limit.  Now I have clutch slip but only in reverse.  It will trickle back with no throttle but as soon as you touch the accelerator the clutch slips and it stops moving.  Dealer is investigating and is in discussion with Honda about what the test results mean - at the moment they think it's the clutch.  My question is whether this could have been caused (at least partially) by the judder issue and if so whether Honda ought to cover it (in whole or in part) under warranty. The dealer has said he will look into a goodwill contribution but I've seen some references to warranty in the thread and it would be helpful to know what other people's experiences are - especially as the car is now 9 years old (although it's only done just over 60k miles and has always been main dealer serviced.)

Thanks in advance for any help

Duncan

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 07:27:58 PM »
If it's always been main dealer serviced, then that would tend to be a plus for the goodwill side of things.

The question about the clutch is which one? There are three. A starter clutch, forward clutch and reverse clutch.  Clutch slip in reverse only would point to the reverse clutch, rather than the starter clutch which I thought would be affected in both directions.

I would be polite and firm with them. It is outside the 7yr / 100k whichever comes first warranty period, but it's not unknown with a good dealer and a reasonable case to end up with a favourable outcome.

guest4748

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 11:39:32 PM »
Thanks Eddie. I'll update when it gets resolved.

guest4783

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »
Hi all

I have 2005 1.4 sport CVT which is redeveloping judder at 66000 miles after EGR Oct 2007 (32000 miles), double oil flush August 2008 (38000 miles) & new Start Clutch May 2010 (50000 miles).
Regularly serviced but not main dealer.
Question 1.
As only 15000 miles since new start clutch - does anyone know if I should receive a further no cost replacement?
Question 2.
Would the new start clutch fitted in 2010 have been the new modified type now fitted.
Thanks
Roger

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 10:42:31 PM »
Roger, what sort of use does the car get local/distance/city/county?

guest4783

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »
Hi Eddie

My wife does 3-4000 miles a year (15000 miles since start clutch fitted in 2010, mostly local trips to work, shopping 5-10 miles with the odd longer journey).
The car is going to Horizon Honda Poole (they have done the work to date) tomorrow for a 'Clutch Burn' to see if that eliminates the judder.
Not entirely happy about this but hope they know what they're doing.
Surely, besides renewing the start clutch, Honda should follow a procedure that includes replacing seals that would allow oil on to the clutch.
The fact the problem has reoccurred so soon (mileage wise), I presume this was not done.

Roger

guest4792

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
I am new to this forum so bear with me. My 55 Jazz CVT has a couple of issues that seem to relate to this thread. This saga is rather long. My Jazz failed to engage a gear so I had it towed to the Honda dealer. They concluded that the steel belt in the CVT automatic gearbox had failed and thus the box would have to be replaced. The quoted price for a new gearbox was over £4000 much more than the car was worth. They were supposedly sourcing a "used" gearbox but it did not materialise. I had great difficulty getting any response from them or Honda UK; neither responded to our e-mails or returned my phone calls. So we decided to have the gearbox replaced by an independent garage. They sourced a used gearbox without difficulty and did the job expeditiously if a little expensively-almost £1000 in total. So, has anyone else had this problem-nobodye can explain why this happened.
      Now the new problem. The Jazz is now exhibiting all the symptoms of the notorious judder problem. It judders a bit when pulling away and more disturbingly occasionally jerks/slips while running. The garage that did the work thinks it may be the "starter clutch" and suggests a flush out as is recommended by Honda in the technical bulletin on this issue. While our Jazz is obviously past the technical bulletin 7 year point it only has 50k miles, half the covered 100k. Moreover, the new gearbox had only 22k mile so presumably would be well within the 7 years. Surely, Honda should have initiated a RECALL on this issue as they did for the inconsequential door switch. I submit that the least Honda could do was to honour the spirit of the bulletin and have this fault corrected by our local Honda dealer. However this has so far not proved to be the case. Any suggestions?

Tags: