Author Topic: Automatic Lights Logic  (Read 11535 times)

guest5281

Automatic Lights Logic
« on: February 19, 2015, 12:30:53 PM »
I'm disappointed that the automatic lights logic ignores windscreen wiper activity.  Hence the lights don't come on automatically in the rain unless it's also very overcast.  I realise that knowing when to turn on lights is the driver's responsibility, but our other car - not a Honda - copes much better (switches on lights after 5th wiper sweep), so there's a risk of assuming that they're on.  You'd think Honda could do better.

guest4078

• Topic Starter
Re: Automatic Lights Logic
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 06:35:30 PM »
Mine work well with the wipers on auto too.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 07:12:05 PM »
I gave up on the auto lights long ago when I realised that the lights weren't on in quite gloomy conditions when I had turned the switch two clicks from off. Sensibly, the auto setting should be the last position on the switch: Off > Side lights > Head lights > Auto so that turning two clicks from off  (which would be consistent with the arrangement without auto lights) will guarantee that the the head lights are on.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:25:48 PM »
You have to ask yourself - if a driver doesn't know when they should turn their lights and wipers on - should they really be in charge of a car?  I have seen people in very dark conditions with only their DRL's on at the front, and no lights at all on at rear of car.  Auto lights and wipers are a gimmick - and I would certainly never spend extra money buying a car just because it had them,  I also worry that if my headlights switch on as I am approaching a junction etc that the lights may be mistaken by a waiting driver as a flash and think I am letting them onto main road.

Mind you I hate most auto things in cars - even the 'auto' climate control which seems unable to maintain a comfortable and stable temperature in the car,  I used to do much better with the two knobs,  one marked red and blue for temperature and the other one 1 to 4 for fan.

the thoughts of the people who design these auto systems and the needs of people who use them rarely if ever coincide.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

davegreen55

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:23:19 PM »
Culzean - I quite agree. The automatic lights are a total pain, especially as the instrument panel lights are permanently on so you have no way of knowing if the headlights are on or not, unless you happen to notice that the radio display has dimmed. I would have found a light in the glovebox far more useful.

emmerdale

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 07:29:32 AM »
Flashing lights at a car waiting to pull out is surely intended as a warning of your presence not an invitation to pull out ??

melanogaster81

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 08:33:21 AM »
I agree with emmerdale! I have been thought in Italy and checked on the English driving book that flashing lighta are a way to warn other drivers about your presence! I was surprised a couple of times when drivers just pull out!!!

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 09:54:02 AM »
Culzean - I quite agree. The automatic lights are a total pain, especially as the instrument panel lights are permanently on so you have no way of knowing if the headlights are on or not, unless you happen to notice that the radio display has dimmed. I would have found a light in the glovebox far more useful.

So I am right in thinking I have no way of knowing whether I have dipped beam light on in low light conditions. This, apart from being mad,  must count as being a major safety error.

Flashing head lights MUST only ever be treated as a warning. However well intended others may be, it will always be your fault if an accident arises.

Also, tell me in Auto windscreen wiper mode does the frequency and speed of wipe vary without manual intervention? Or does Auto just turn them on and off?

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 04:33:15 PM »
I use the auto settings for both lights and wipers but I would not pay for them as an option. I wanted an EX for other reasons so I had no choice.
The wipers are ok but the lights are useless at certain times, mainly when quite dull when they don't turn on and have to be turned on manually and in bright sunshine when they are not needed.
Unfortunately all the cars I have driven with the light option seem to work the same so I assume the manufacturers all use the same parts. Time they had an adjustment included that gave you a chance to fine tune them to your own liking.
At least the Jazz has an adjustable intermittent wipe when used in auto.
Bye the way, I have been driving for 51 years and know that flashing headlights is a warning and not an invitation, but I  am afraid I am guilty of misusing them on occasion.
A bit of common sense is required.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 11:24:07 AM »
The auto wipers I can live with in the EX.
The auto lights are adequate but a bit pointless.
The Auto setting on the climate control is seriously rubbish. In fact getting the air on at the temperature you want is mystery / misery to me.
All in all the automated bits on the EX are below par including the gear changer going up long hills.
But I would still not want a manual! :) SO I will have to put up with them:)

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »
In this day and age of the so called nanny state we forget, I think, that electronics are a servant and only as good as the designer. If we had lights that switched on every time needed surely we will be in the realms of being redundant. The boffins are hell bent on producing 'thinking' robots BUT when they can produce one what will happen? will those thinking robots decide to do away with us mere humans.
Seriously chaps, I am as guilty as the next in cursing the fact that the automatic action of the lights is a bit hit and miss but we, I think forget that the human eye is pretty remarkable and at the moment impossible to replicate. We assume that the sensor is as sensitive as the human eye but it's not.
I am a bit surprised at the remark that the only way to tell if the lights are on is when the aircon temp goes dark. Surely there are tell tale lights on the speedo.
As to flashing headlights to other motorists, an absolute no no when I was taught to drive fast cars. If you wish to warn other motorists the 'audible warning instrument' is the chappie. NOT to be used as it is now, as a greeting!!!!!
If you are waiting to enter a road from a junction, even if the other chap flashes/indicates what ever, if you do move into their path with the resultant collision. YOU will be to blame. I remember our instructors favourite expression. 'Treat everybody as an idiot and you might survive.' This will produce some interesting comments I am sure.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »
Treat every one as an idiot / lethal threat is correct.

I was wanting to make a left turn on to a road.
A car was approaching from my right with the right hand indicator flashing to show thew were turning in to the road I want to come out of.
I always hold back - out of good driver training.
Low and behold she went straight on gathering lots of speed. Had I pulled out, having been convinced a split second earlier that she was turning in - I would have been dead or severely injured.
That sort of idiocy stays in the memory.

Tags: