Author Topic: Deals on 2014 Jazz?  (Read 21622 times)

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Deals on 2014 Jazz?
« on: July 18, 2014, 11:53:21 AM »
We've been thinking of acquiring a new Jazz for a famility member and with the new model dealyed until late next year, I was expecting there would be some decent deals available on the current model as sales must surely be slowing now.

However I can't get the dealers to give anything other than a small discount - they seem to be amazed that I'm not thilled by Honda's current offer of £500 if I take their 0% PCP (which seems an odd offer itself).

Anyone also in discussions at the moment for a new Jazz, or had some success with a recent purchase?

guest4871

Re: Deals on 2014 Jazz?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »
First port of call - www.drivethedeal.com

I have used them several times over the past ten years plus and wouldn't buy a new car any other way.

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:12:59 PM »
Thanks - my local dealer isn't far away in terms of price to DtD and I've had so many issues with new cars I'd be very reluctant to buy at any distance.  Our first Jazz had various issues on delivery, although the second was fine.

I'm more annoyed with Honda really, I know Jazz has always been a bit on the expensive side, but it feels like a rip-off now.  In searching around I stumbled across Honda's US website - they're selling the new 2015 EX model, 1.5L engine, auto, standard 7" screen sat nav etc etc - $17000, which is £10K.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
Thanks - my local dealer isn't far away in terms of price to DtD and I've had so many issues with new cars I'd be very reluctant to buy at any distance.  Our first Jazz had various issues on delivery, although the second was fine.

I'm more annoyed with Honda really, I know Jazz has always been a bit on the expensive side, but it feels like a rip-off now.  In searching around I stumbled across Honda's US website - they're selling the new 2015 EX model, 1.5L engine, auto, standard 7" screen sat nav etc etc - $17000, which is £10K.

i thought they were expensive too but when i compared mine to the same level yaris and note it is cheaper and better equiped

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 10:31:50 AM »
we get ripped off in Britain for everything because we don't haggle enough and must give out signals to salesmen (and women) that we will take the goods whatever they cost after a 'token' haggle.   It's hard to get a really bad car these days (even a French car will last at least 3 years and have every gadget you can name) - but some are better than others and because the Jazz has been selling so well it's hard to get a discount.  The new Civic is not selling well because it is ugly,  with its bulging 'American' rear light clusters and silly inverted plastic 'Y' on the front - most people I speak to love the 8th Gen design (2006 to 2012) but don't like the newer 9th Gen model (even though it is supposed to be quieter, ride better etc.).  I don't know what Honda designers were thinking about.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 11:41:28 AM »
The new Civic is not selling well because it is ugly,  with its bulging 'American' rear light clusters and silly inverted plastic 'Y' on the front - most people I speak to love the 8th Gen design (2006 to 2012) but don't like the newer 9th Gen model (even though it is supposed to be quieter, ride better etc.). 

Which shows how opinions can vary, personally I much prefer the new Civic to the last version, far better looking and when I had a test drive a much smoother and more comfortable drive.

guest4871

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 01:03:56 PM »
Each to their own. If your local dealer is offering 14.5% off list - that's good. Not small to me.

I have the impression that Honda have actually reduced some of their "offers" from 6 months ago.

The 5 year care package cost is up to £555 from £500 and the dealer cash contribution for a cash purchase seems to be down from £1,000 to £500.

Their promotion offers seem to run from 1 Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct. So it may be better to wait until October or even January for any potential run off deals.

Yes - they are expensive but you get what you pay for!

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »
.....because the Jazz has been selling so well it's hard to get a discount. 

What makes you say Jazz is selling well?  I've done a bit of Googling and can't see any model specific numbers but my impression is that Honda generally is doing terribly in the UK and I haven't seen anything that shows Jazz selling well.
I just looked at the SMMT figures and the UK market is up 10% in 1H14 vs 1H2013 - Honda is down 12%.

I think the "problem" in terms of getting discounts is perhaps that Honda has got its act together better now in terms of build to order for the UK market - in many other countries (I know this is particualrly true in the US) people buy cars from stock.  In the UK we'll pre-order and cheerfully wait for the car to be built.

The company I work for operates in a global market and we get beaten to death with pricing from the US and Far East so seeing 2015 Jazz on sale in the US and at way cheaper pricing is very frustrating!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:32:03 AM »
I refused to pay new prices when I bought my Jazz 2 years ago. Honda dealers would not play ball. So I ran a saved search on Autotrader for one with under 1,000 miles and less than a year old. I eventually bought a six month old one with 300 miles on it..
I had to drive 70 miles for it.. but saved 25% on list and got lots of extras I wanted - reversing sensors, protection pack..

More than one way to save money..

Rory

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:46:21 PM »
I eventually bought a six month old one with 300 miles on it..

It would drive me mad wondering: Why?  Was it rejected by someone??

I did a similar thing with my own car, a Mercedes, bought at 5mths/6K miles - with lots of options and way cheaper than new.  However that had been an ex-head office management car, an unlikely scenario with a 300 mile Jazz.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »
I eventually bought a six month old one with 300 miles on it..

It would drive me mad wondering: Why?  Was it rejected by someone??

I did a similar thing with my own car, a Mercedes, bought at 5mths/6K miles - with lots of options and way cheaper than new.  However that had been an ex-head office management car, an unlikely scenario with a 300 mile Jazz.

The owner  - a lady - had bought it and was then diagnosed with incurable cancer. So she sold it after leaving hospital and went on a cruise with the proceeds.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 09:22:45 PM »
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/campaigns/2014/range/

Jazz Si Black Special Edition?

So just a Jazz Si in black, like Honda have offered for the last two years or so? Sneakily rebranded as a special edition? Lots of unsold units in black and keen to shift them?

guest4871

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »
It does seem to me that Honda UK may be having some serious problems.

They, maybe, just cannot afford to give real discounts if their volumes are low. They would need the highest margin they can squeeze out of the low volume - not low margin sales volume.

It is not helped by the quality of their customer interface. I think Honda (UK) have a lot of work to do. Two, of several, examples. In one dealership I was told by the salesman (he has been there years) to apologise to the sales manager for taking the car out too long on a test drive with the salesman (1 hour). There was also much selling of the "new" Bluetooth facility ignoring that I have had Bluetooth in cars 10 years or more! In another Honda dealership, I was told by the salesman that the 6 buttons on the audio head unit were to select CDs from the CD multichanger. I didn’t pursue that one! Honda UK do not reply to email.

I see the Tyre Repair Kit (TRK) is now listed in the current Jazz brochure as the "Instant Mobility System" (IMS).

I think that tops the Jazz Si Black Special Edition!

Mine’s Orchid White and, to me, it is a very special edition!

I am exceedingly pleased with the car which I find excellent. I bought it despite Honda UK’s best efforts.

I do think Honda UK need to treat their customers much more seriously. I am really quite angry!

(Incidentally, I have found for years that all Japanese companies do launch new products in three phases. First in Japan and Asia Pacific, then the Americas, then Europe, Middle East and Africa).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 09:41:25 PM »
I do think Honda UK need to treat their customers much more seriously. I am really quite angry!

how come J D power respondents rate Honda 3rd in manufacturer category,  with very good dealer service.

I would hate to work in any car dealership these days as customers seem to become more demanding every day that passes.   I would also say that a 1 hour test drive is very long.

The Jazz still sells very well ( I see plenty when I am driving around) and globally Honda sold around 4 million cars last year - not bad for a company that does not rely on re-badged models from other makers, but make all their own cars in their own factories. Honda are almost alone in the car industry not to have tie-ups with other manufacturers,  as one journalist put it 'they plough their own furrow'.   They are probably the most innovative manufacturer around.

Honda may be seen as a small or niche player in UK,  but they are large in global terms, in addition to 4 million cars sold, there were 10 million Honda motorcycles sold.  What skews the global 'vehicle' figures is that Toyota, Ford and GM also make a large range of trucks and commercial vehicles, which Honda do not (although they do make aeroplanes).   When it comes to cars alone, Globally Honda is 5th behind VW group, Toyota, Hyundai, General Motors.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:21:24 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 10:23:33 AM »
Europe's Car Sales Boom, But Honda Trips Over Lame Product Lineup

Car sales in Western Europe continued to rally from a six year slump, but Honda of Japan’s sales dived as its range of CR-V SUVs and Civic small cars proved unloved and too expensive.
And don’t expect an improvement from Honda any time soon.
Car sales rose 7.2 per cent in the first quarter of 2014 to 3.1 million from 2.9 million in the same period of 2013, according to the European Car Manufacturers Association, known by its French acronym ACEA.
Most manufacturers took full advantage of the rise in consumer confidence. Even GM Europe’s Opel-Vauxhall subsidiary managed a 4.2 per cent gain to 236,632, despite deciding to dump its Chevrolet brand. Ford Europe beat the trend with a 10.5 per cent rise to 237,786. Mazda of Japan was a standout with a 24.7 per cent gain to 46,762. Even financial basket-case  Peugeot and its Citroen subsidiary increased sales 7.1 per cent to 353,759. Leader Volkswagen of Germany raised sales 7.3 per cent to 749,085, for a market share of 23.9 per cent.
But Honda’s sales dived 8.0 per cent to 36,332, with market share of 1.2 per cent versus 1.4 per cent. Honda cut output at its British factory in March, and now expects to produce 120,000 vehicles at its Swindon plant in 2014, down from 140,000 last year, and capacity of 250,000 Civics, CR-Vs and Jazz city cars. At the time Honda comically put down this setback to “weak demand”, as the rest of the industry acclaimed a turnaround. What it really meant was “weak demand for our vehicles”.
Earlier this year, Honda, in another mis-step, withdrew its Insight and CR-Z gasoline electric hybrids from Europe as sales dwindled.
According to Automotive Industry Data (AID) editor Peter Schmidt, Honda has missed the boom in SUVs in Europe and its CR-V is too expensive and lacks the appeal of products like the Nissan Qashqai. The smaller Civic sedan has failed to compete against products like the Ford Focus and Opel-Vauxhall Astra. The latest design of the Civic was meant to appeal to a younger audience, and was too young-looking and brash for Honda’s much-older than average traditional buyers.
AID figures show in 2013 Honda sold just over 41,500 CR-Vs in Western Europe compared with 190,300 Qashqais, and 136,500 VW Tiguans. Even Nissan’s Juke small SUV, a segment in which Honda has yet to appear, racked up more than 100,000 sales in Western Europe.
“Nissan was in a dreadful state but was rescued by the Qashqai. The styling of the CR-V didn’t help it compete with products like this. And the CR-V was too expensive to make. Nissan used a bog standard car design and put a tall body on it mimicking the looks of an SUV. The CR-V has been left behind in the crossover (SUV) boom in Europe,” Schmidt said.
Nissan first quarter sales in Western Europe rose 7.1 per cent to 123,167.
“The Qashqai alone turned Nissan Europe from a loser into a winner. The lack of success of the CR-V is principally responsible for Honda’s misfortune in the European market,” Schmidt said.
The Civic has failed to sell well, with just under 38,000 buyers in Western Europe last year compared with 280,000 for competing products like the Ford Focus and 181,000 Opel-Vauxhall Astras.
“Honda got it all wrong with the Civic. Nissan has shown that if you have the right product at the right price with visual appeal, it doesn’t matter if brand image isn’t up to much,” Schmidt said.
“Honda’s problems are all of its own making with the CR-V and Civic. They’ve got the wrong styling and the wrong prices. The CR-V doesn’t appeal to buyers that are attracted to the Qashqai and Touareg, and it costs too much to make. VW based the Tiguan on the Golf (small sedan) so it used cheap off-the-shelf components. The CR-V should have been based on the Civic,” Schmidt said.
Honda looks set for a rocky road ahead in Europe.

“There’s no way to solve this overnight; it will take years, so don’t expect a quick turnaround,” Schmidt said.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2014/04/17/europes-car-sales-boom-but-honda-trips-over-lame-product-lineup/

Tags: