Author Topic: Over revving, not much power, using a lot of petrol  (Read 5783 times)

guest4923

Over revving, not much power, using a lot of petrol
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »
Hi
I am new to this site and don't have a lot of knowledge on cars but thought I'd see if anyone can help me with this before i spend a fortune taking it to a Honda garage!
My Jazz has started over revving for no reason.  This has been happening recently but I noticed it this morning as I was going around a bend in 3rd or 4th gear - when I straightened up and started accelerating, the engine revved up to 4000 revs but the car didn't get any faster - I released the accelerator completely and it seemed to rectify itself when I then pressed down on it again - quite worrying!
The car also seems to have lost some of it's power when trying to gain speed after setting off from a stop to around 60mph (don't know if this is related to the over revving problem).  The other thing I have recently noticed is that I seem to be using a hell of a lot of petrol since the over revving problem started.  Any advice would be greatly recevied.
Many thanks

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
Re: Over revving, not much power, using a lot of petrol
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »
Could be a slipping clutch.

guest3721

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:53:36 AM »
Best way of finding out if the clutch is slipping is put it in 4th with handbrake on and try and pull away, if it rev's up and does not stall then the clutch is on its way out.

Regards Dave

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 09:59:22 AM »
hi
needs full service and clutch replacement as well.
cheers

jazzista

• Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »
Automatic or MT?

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
I agree it sounds like a clutch problem, but m ight be oil on it causing it to slip, not necessarily worn out, either way not a cheap fix.

Tags:

anything