Author Topic: 2012 Honda Civic revealed  (Read 13242 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: 2012 Honda Civic revealed
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
I've seen one in the flesh, but I still prefer the previous 06-11 model. It looks better than a Golf/Focus but (until I see one for real) I think the new Hyundai i30 is the best looking.

guest2765

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 12:56:07 PM »
ive seen one in the flesh too...so to speak...when i had the jazz in being serviced...test drove an 07 civic as well....was nice to drive but still not keen on the way it looks..and agreed it looks better than a golf...but not a focus....the new focus simply looks amazing...

and the i30? hyundai have gone downhill with their cars... :( long live the coupe/tiberion(or whatever tis called outside the uk)

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 09:02:45 PM »
After initially being unimpressed, I'm now quite positive about the 2012 Civic after seeing a few parked and sitting in one a few weeks back. I still stand by what I said before though - it isn't as good looking as the previous '06-11 model, especially the Type R and post '09 facelift with the new style grilles and painted exterior trim, but I like the shape and it's only the change-for-change-sake detailing like the wheel arches and rear lights that are the only negatives. Next to my current favourite for styling in this sector - the new Kia C'eed - the new Civic's styling is more original and the shape more attractive and dynamic. But the new C'eed has cleaner detailing, even if from some angles I can see a fair amount of Vauxhall Astra. On the whole I do like it now.

The interior is a mixed bag - I prefer the new design of the instrument binnacle and the Jazz-style hooded dials but the centre console area is more conventional than before, the funky A/C and audio controls have been replaced with a row of faceless buttons and the sat-nav where fitted looks aftermarket. Perceived quality is up though around the door cards and gearlevel/handbrake area, and the handbrake itself no longer looks like design and assembly were contracted out to Fisher-Price.

Rear visibility? From *just* sitting in the showroom car it is better than before and now at last there is now a rear wiper. TBH, I never had a big problem with the spolier - you get used to it very quickly, and it was only the thick C-pillars that took time to adjust to and to be fair, the old one was no worse than the Mk5 Golf, 1-series, etc.

Would I buy one? I would investigate one more closely if I was in the market for a five-door family hatch. I'd have one over a Golf as I'm not a fan of the cooking (i.e., non-GTi/R models) Golfs as they are, frankly, no more desirable than a dull Toyota Auris once you look past the soft plastics and that 'badge'. And as a someone who was 'really into cars' growing up in the 80s and early 90s, a time when people bought mediocre Fords and Vauxhalls by the bucketload (because they thought they were buying 'British'?  ;D), I could never see myself in a Focus or Astra, even though I admit I really like the look of the latest Astra GTC.   Equally though I would consider the latest Hyundai i30/Kia C'eed if the resale values hold up (outgoing 11-plate Kia C'eed diesels with a good spec can be picked up for less than a brand new Jazz ES  :o).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 09:04:22 PM by RichardA »

Tags:

anything