Author Topic: Steering Rack for 2006 Honda Jazz SE 1339 CC  (Read 2986 times)

guest6860

Steering Rack for 2006 Honda Jazz SE 1339 CC
« on: May 09, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »
Hi all,
The power steering on my 2006 Jazz SE is failing, and I need to get a new steering rack fitted.  I was quoted just over £2k from my local Honda dealership to replace it, so I decided to buy the part myself (second hand) and just pay for the labour of getting it fitted.  After doing some extensive research, I found that I need a rack with number: 53600-SAA-E0. So I bought one on Ebay, and took it to the garage to get it fitted.  They called me whilst the work was being done to say that the rack wouldn't fit, as it was the wrong part number! They said that I needed a rack with number: 53601-SAA-E93.  I've looked all over the internet but I can't find a steering rack with this exact number anywhere.  Surely there are plenty of these kicking around (presumably taken from Mk1 Jazzes?). I've found a few that end in E9, but none that end in E93.  What's going on here?  Is my Jazz a weird anomaly that requires a very specific steering rack?  Or will any rack ending in E9 suffice?  Cheers :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Steering Rack for 2006 Honda Jazz SE 1339 CC
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
That part number is available here ( [links removed by Admin - broken links] ), but as you say, £2K.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:59:36 PM by RichardA »

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 12:06:56 PM »
"The standard OEM Honda part number follows a format of xxxxx-111-xxx.

If the part is painted, the part number has an additional two digits to represent the paint code, ie xxxxx-111-xxxzz.  If the part is something a dealer would purchase in bulk, like hose or bolts, and it fits many models from different product lines like motorcycles, ATVs and generators, the number format is xxxxx-xxxxx-xx.

Honda Product Code - The centre section of a standard Honda part number contains 3 digits (111 in the example). These 3 digits are the Honda Product Code and correspond to the Honda car, motorcycle, scooter, ATC or ATV model that the part is for or was first used on."

SAA certainly corresponds to Mk1/GD Jazz.  Different OEM suppliers can mean variations in the code, updated/uprated parts will also have a new code even though they are compatible fitment.  The trade parts counter (not via the showroom) at the dealer will be invaluable here if you provide your VIN number.  You have probably discovered that the part listings from a 2006 vehicle give the codes you are stating.  I can't imagine a variation between 1.2/1.4 or CVT/manual.

Will investigate.
--
TG

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 12:36:40 PM »
53601-SAA-E93 is the current part number for the complete retro-fit assembly, sub-sections carry other codes.

53600-SAA-E0 made by NSK is the part number many cars were built with.

The only variation I can see is between LHD/RHD.  I think you have discovered garages don't like to be provided with parts or told how to do the job so become difficult.  Also providing your own parts means the job is without warranty or redress.  If you let them source a salvage part they will reach the same conclusion about the original part number as you have already successfully done.  Have they attempted fitment and failed or are they just cross checking before starting?  I think you may need to find a more run down railway arch mechanic for the future.
--
TG

guest6860

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 01:48:23 PM »
Thanks for the helpful reply TG.
Well originally I took the car and the new steering rack in together to get the work done, and they called me halfway through the day to say that they had removed the steering rack, and tried to install the new one, but it was the wrong one (apparently there was a unit on the top that wasn't there on the steering rack currently fitted to the car). Am I correct in thinking that if my car requires 53601-SAA-E93, then a part with 53600-SAA-E0 or 53600-SAA-E9 would also do the job? Clearly that's not how the garage see it, but surely it's not necessary for me to buy a brand new part? Would a second hand steering rack from a different 2006 model Jazz do?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »
The garage are the current experts, the Honda dealer parts counter guy is THE expert.  I can only make assumptions from published data as I have never paid much attention to this part.  If you can trawl through all the eBay listings and try to spot the difference between the types maybe we can deduce what that might be.  The codes above refer to the complete sub-assembly rather than individual components.
--
TG

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »
I have discovered more part codes now 53600-SAA-033 & -043 & -073 and 53601-SAA-E05 & -E73 & -E93 and 53602-SAA-003 & -E93 by entering made up VIN numbers.  Still can't see much difference but the line drawings are probably not updated with too much detail. 

I believe the first section of the part code will change if there is a physical difference to the part, so in this case there may be three versions, apart from a visible difference to the heat shield mounting - I can't determine what that is.
--
TG

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
Is your car really a 2006?

The steering rack the garage is saying is required is for a 2005.

what it the digit in the middle of your VIN/Chassis number before the S? 5 or 6?

What transmission do you have MT or CVT?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »
Just because it was registered in 2006 doesn't mean it was built in 2006. It could easily have been built in 2005 (or even earlier). Cars are built and stockpiled. Once delivered to a dealer they can wait a while before being sold. You can pick up a pre-facelift model cheaper than the latest model if you are happy enough to settle for last year's car.

Tags:

anything