Author Topic: Idle stop, on or off?  (Read 19283 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Idle stop, on or off?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
Really ? Could you describe how you use it please ? Are you perhaps confusing Brake Hold (as described here http://www.jthughes.co.uk/How-To/View/Honda/HR-V/How-to-use-the-Honda-HR-V-brake-hold-option/02279019-149f-47ba-b05b-e589bb30b9ee) with Hill Start Assist ? I don't see BH listed as a feature on any Jazz spec, but HSA is.
I hadn't heard of the Brake Hold feature before.  It sounds rather useful, and I would welcome it on the Jazz.  It seems to operate in conjunction with the electronically operated handbrake.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 05:43:35 PM »
However you're wrong about 'brake hold'. My EX has it.
Really ? Could you describe how you use it please ? Are you perhaps confusing Brake Hold (as described here http://www.jthughes.co.uk/How-To/View/Honda/HR-V/How-to-use-the-Honda-HR-V-brake-hold-option/02279019-149f-47ba-b05b-e589bb30b9ee) with Hill Start Assist ? I don't see BH listed as a feature on any Jazz spec, but HSA is.
Ah, yes. Sorry.
It's very tempting to suggest that if you are having trouble seeing the dashboard buttons and indicators ...
... you should go to an optician :)
But I wouldn't go quite that far. :D :D :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 10:17:27 PM »
I like the principle of the idle stop although I was spoiled because I first encountered it on the Jazz hybrid which has a very smooth restart due to the electric motor. However, the idle stop on the Mk 3 Jazz (or my current HR-V) is no problem provided one remembers a couple of points (i) anticipate the need to move by about a second by reducing the brake pedal pressure (which restarts the engine on the CVT vehicles) and (ii) light brake pedal pressure will stop the car but not the engine which is appropriate for roundabout queues whereas the idle stop is appropriate for traffic light queues. But I much prefer driving in conditions where the traffic keeps moving and the idle stop isn't needed ;D
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 08:56:59 AM »
But I much prefer driving in conditions where the traffic keeps moving and the idle stop isn't needed ;D
Yeah. I've become quite adept at controlling it at roundabouts. Banbury rush hour varies quite a lot and it takes experience to work out if a queue is slow moving or 'stuck'. Sometimes a long queue for a roundabout is slow moving. Sometimes a short queue is stuck.

The trick on this stretch is to look out for pedestrians hovering around the traffic lights. The naughty monkeys sometimes press the button. How jolly inconsiderate of them :D

I like to let I/S do it's thing but I have to be sure that it will be off for at least 2 seconds to avoid wasting fuel. Still - it all adds to the fun of driving in my view :)

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2017, 03:57:56 PM »
This weekend I have done a round trip of 350 miles, near the end of the outbound journey I was involved in heavy traffic and the stop start gave a low battery, not working indication. I left the stop start switched on until I returned home and the system continued with low battery indications. I disconnected the battery earth connection for about 15 minutes and on reconnection normal service has been resumed. It seems the car had lost the plot on battery charge level but it only seemed to affect the stop start.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:49:26 PM by Deeps »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2017, 06:59:22 PM »
I find that the reason for the system not operating when you expect it to is not necessarily related to the indication you get. For example, it won't operate if you have the ventilation set to the demist (screen) setting, but the indication will say "A/C" irrespective of whether the A/C is operating or not. And as I discovered during very cold weather, it won't operate if the battery temperature is too low, but the indication was "low battery" rather than "low temperature". Not necessarily suggesting either of these apply in your circumstances, just that the reason might not be the one you expect from the indication. And as you've commented yourself in another thread, trying to work out why it's not working when there are so many arcane reasons is tricky.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »
I agree that the stop start operation is a bit of magic and mirrors, but mine did not work for the whole 350 mile journey which included half way coffee stops and being parked for 36 hours at the destination. The weather was mild and the aircon was on throughout. The mpg was 55 full to full which surprised me as I was not hanging about and running at the 60 and 70 limits and using the full rev range when accelerating.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:20:56 PM by Deeps »

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
While checking the user manual to remind myself of the multitude of instrument indicators I discovered that my stop start not working was self inflicted. On page 110 it explains that the stop start may not work with a battery low indication shown after charging the battery or jump starting the car. This may be overcome by driving the car or if this does not work disconnect the battery -ve connection and reconnect it. I had put the battery on charge the day before the problem. As I had guessed the car had lost the battery charge level and a reset fixed it. The car seems to be running smoother since the reset but that is a whole different can of worms.  :-)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:49:01 PM by Deeps »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2017, 07:33:18 PM »
Why did you feel the need to put your battery on charge? I haven't done that in nearly thirty years of motoring.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 09:12:24 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »
For much of my working life I was involved with very big lead acid batteries and their maintenance.  An equalising charge  every three months or so does no harm and I have not had a car battery fail in over fifty years.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 08:31:51 PM »
For much of my working life I was involved with very big lead acid batteries and their maintenance.  An equalising charge  every three months or so does no harm and I have not had a car battery fail in over fifty years.

True, an equalising charge every so often will keep a battery healthy and 'equalise' the cell voltages and remove any slight sulphation that is building up due to imbalance in chemical reactions in battery.  Some people think batteries do not need any maintenance and are 'surprised' when a neglected battery fails and they blame the battery.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »
Ever wondered why Halfords and other motoring outlets keep a range of batteries in stock? Maintenance free? Aye right! The maintenance free claim comes from a vapour trap in the cell vents which help maintain the electrolyte level. And marketing of course. :-)

Many small battery powered devices instructions recommend an extended charge before first use. This is because the device will indicate "charged" when the first cell of the battery is charged. The extended charge fully charges all the battery cells and improves battery performance having equalised their output.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »
Well that's interesting to know but I've never had a battery fail on me. I had to replace one once after six years because it was clearly beginning to struggle a bit starting the car when cold but that's all. It might be marketing hype but my personal experience is that 'maintenance free' means exactly that. Of course I've never owned any vehicle longer than six or seven years but honestly I'd be shocked and disgusted if any current model Jazz needed anything doing to its battery. Mine happens to get a good workout almost every day but my Dad's and his companion's cars (not Hondas) can go several days without being used and when used are only driven two miles into town and back. Neither of them have had any problems. My Dad had to replace his C2 after running into a deer last year. Three years old and I think he said it 5,000 miles on it. That included it being used by all of us for a week long trip from North Wales to Dumfries and Galloway last summer.

An 'unmaintained' battery might not be in perfect condition and maybe it won't last as long as it might. But I don't think it's anything any of us have to worry about for several years and I reckon most of us will have passed our vehicles onto someone else before the problems start. Of course the batteries in our cars are a different design and getting more work because of Idle Stop so that might have an impact. But I have faith in Honda when it comes to the important mechanical bits. I'm happy to ignore the problem and leave it to whoever is driving my car in the late 2020s ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:43:20 AM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2017, 04:37:42 PM »
Honda seem to consider the battery as a wear and tear item. There are instructions for charging and changing the battery in the user manual. Some of us are impoverished pensioners who can't afford a new car every couple of years. :-)

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2017, 09:48:45 PM »
I thought maintenance free batteries just meant you did not have to top them up with distilled water every so often.

Tags:

anything