Author Topic: Changing plugs, manual transmission oil, fuel filter and coolant?  (Read 2536 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
My car is 10 years old, has done 73k and runs fine as far as I can tell. It just passed its mot and had its annual service completed. I even did an engine flush.. I haven't noticed any major performance improvement, if any, but maybe I'll get a few more mpg and/or longevity of the engine...

Anyway, I did a search on my question and I saw a few answers but wondered if someone would give me info on whether i should change all of them on my car. I've owned the car for a year and it's been serviced every year in the service book but I have no details on what they did - but it seems well looked after.

BRAKE FLUID - got changed in latest service. Will next change it in 2-3 years?

FUEL FILTER - I read is life time and doesn't require changing. Correct?

SPARK PLUGS - the garage checked last year and said they looked new. Worth changing as 10 years old?

COOLANT - when is the correct time to change it this? And is it easy to do myself?

MANUAL TRANSMISSION OIL - correct time 75k or 10 years? How much does it cost for garage to do this? How long does it take? Will they only use Honda oil?

I'm happy to keep the car for many years and thinking to get as much renewed right now as 10 years old and hopefully maximise its life.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:19:05 PM by JazzyJJ »

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Changing plugs, manual transmission oil, fuel filter and coolant?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »
My car is 10 years old, has done 73k and runs fine as far as I can tell. It just passed its mot and had its annual service completed. I even did an engine flush.. I haven't noticed any major performance improvement, if any, but maybe I'll get a few more mpg and/or longevity of the engine...

Anyway, I did a search on my question and I saw a few answers but wondered if someone would give me info on whether i should change all of them on my car. I've owned the car for a year and it's been serviced every year in the service book but I have no details on what they did - but it seems well looked after.

BRAKE FLUID - got changed in latest service. Will change it 2-3 years? GOOD IDEA - FLUID ABSORBS WATER

FUEL FILTER - I read is life time and doesn't require changing. Correct?  CORRECT

SPARK PLUGS - the garage checked last year and said they looked new. Worth changing as 10 years old?  WHY WOULD GARAGE TAKE PLUGS OUT TO CHECK AND THEN PUT BACK - IF IN DOUBT CHANGE THEM

COOLANT - when is the correct time to change it this? And is it easy to do myself? 10 YEARS - PLENTY OF ADVICE ON FORUM - I DRAINED WHAT WOULD EASILY COME OUT TOPPED UP WITH HALFORDS UNIVERSAL OAT, RAN IT FOR A WEEK AND THEN REPEATED,  ANTI FREEZE DOES NOT WEAR OUT BUT CORROSION INHIBITORS DO

MANUAL TRANSMISSION OIL - correct time 75k or 10 years? How much does it cost for garage to do this? How long does it take? Will they only use Honda oil?   EASY TO DO YOURSELF BUT WILL NEED A FUNNEL AND PIPE TO REFILL GEARBOX AS IT IS NOT EASY TO GET ACCESS - CHECK HANDBOOK OR OPIE OILS FOR GRADE AND QTY

I'm happy to keep the car for many years and thinking to get as much renewed right now as 10 years old and hopefully maximise its life.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:47:15 AM »
Should genuine Honda transmission oil be use for change or is a good quality alternative just as good or 'better'? Any recommendations. Thanks.

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 03:14:51 PM »
Should genuine Honda transmission oil be use for change or is a good quality alternative just as good or 'better'?
That's an interesting question, and one that deserves a bit of discussion.

On a CVT - the correct Honda CVT-F fluid only at about £10/litre.
On a manual they recommend Honda MTF-3 also about £10/litre.
These are usually only available from Honda outlets.

But, there is a possibility of using other transmission oils in a manual.  An independent garage might use the correct general grade 'from the big drum' of 75W-80 GL4/5, manufacturer designated oil closely aligns with oil producer's grades although the additive contents might vary slightly.  The interesting diy alternative (popular in Civic / Accord forums) is the Rover / Land Rover / MINI grade oil MTF-94.  This is available widely and is supposedly 'the same'; it is basically a 75W-80 GL4/5 product, you can get 5 litres for the price of 2 litres of Honda stuff, but considering the time between changes it might take many years to capitalise on this saving.  It is probably of similar quality and attributes seeing as they have a shared heritage back to the Civic / Rover 400 days where the same parts had different manufacturer designations.

1.6 litres x 3 changes = 4.8 litres (from 5 litres)  >> 3 changes from a £20 container of MTF-94 (or 75W-80)
1.6 lires x 1 change = 1.6 litres (from 2 x 1 litre)  >> 1 change from £20 of Honda MTF-3

It's like nearly everything with a Honda label on it - someone else made it for them....
--
TG

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »
Your spark plugs are unlikely to be the original ones, they are usually changed every 25k.

Tags:

anything