Author Topic: Car Battery (Apologies for naive post!)  (Read 9498 times)

flashwhite

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2013 jazz 5dr 1.4 I-vtec es, cvt gearbox.
Re: Car Battery (Apologies for naive post!)
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 03:51:25 PM »
Thanks everyone the battery is now ok and I did end up finishing the charge off the next day.
Dave B

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 03:36:38 PM »
4 hours at 3 amps is not enough to put full power back into a flat battery - if it is 35 amp/hour size you would need 3 amps for 13 hours (charging efficiency is about 85% so you have to put 'extra' in).

It's also worth being aware that modern alternator based charging systems also do little more than float charge the battery so they can need hours of running to recharge the battery if it's run right down - they don't hammer the battery with loads of juice like dynamos used to.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 07:05:07 PM »
just purchased a 2012 EX Jazz with CVT,

during the test drive the car didn't start,before I took delivery a new Varta 35 hr battery was fitted,

a few weeks ago we had a flat battery,after charging it worked OK
last thursday,did a 400 mile round trip,all daylight running,checked the black/green condition indicator ,it was full green,
but today,came to use the car again,no good,only got relay clicking,

do I need to run the car every other day to keep it charged?
the seller,a local Honda dealer tested it,found no unusual consumption ,or drain.

is the alarm likely to cause flat batteries ?

hope you can help me

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 07:19:12 PM »
Sounds as though the fault could be on the alternator/charging circuit. I have left my car six weeks and it still started okay.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 07:36:09 PM »
Immobiliser is fitted as standard to Jazz, it won't drain your battery. If you have an alarm fitted they can drain your battery in a week or two.  You need to get a voltmeter and check battery terminals with engine running at about 2000 revs, should be 13.8 to 14.2 volts,  if it less than 13.5 charging system probably needs looking at.

If you charge battery from a charger, leave it for an hour and check voltage - should be over 12.4v, nearer to 12.6 v is ideal. I have had problem with varta battery before,  and it was not very old, I only buy Yuasa now.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 08:01:13 PM »
I have had no problems since fitting my Varta battery As I said, I have left it 6 weeks and car started fine. It has a 5 years guarantee, and if I have any problems the RAC will come out and replace it, as they supplied it.
I had a battery fail once, a good number of years ago. I took it to Kwik Fit and they said I needed a new battery. So I showed them their invoice with 3 weeks of the guarantee still to run, and they had to replace it! I am sure they would have fobbed me off somehow if I had shown them the invoice first.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »
thanks for your comments,

the dealer said the charging was ok,
I did notice during normal driving the engine revs stay around 2,000rpm

the altenator should be charging well at that,

but,for the battery to drop to 10V in a week,

I will contact the dealer again .

let you know whats happening

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 10:22:26 PM »
I had a battery fail once, a good number of years ago. I took it to Kwik Fit and they said I needed a new battery. So I showed them their invoice with 3 weeks of the guarantee still to run, and they had to replace it! I am sure they would have fobbed me off somehow if I had shown them the invoice first.

I did exactly the same thing, some years ago, at my local Halfrauds.....

Doesn't it give you, a lovely rosy glow. To come out on top, for a change!  ;D
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »
Bought an Expensive Bosch battery from Euro car Parts: 4 year Guarantee for 2003 Yaris.
Failed after 3.75 years.. New battery with no quibbles but comment was "we don't see many invoices this old"..! New battery is now two years old.. so over 5 years from one battery payment!

Yuasa Battery was fitted originally - lasted over 9 years.

guest5079

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »
One point comes up pretty often and that is are you sure your boot light is going out? Or is an interior light staying on? Having had a battery go flat in an hour after working with the door open I am very wary, if I want to do anything inside the car off goes the interior light.
Hope your problem is a little one.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »
One point comes up pretty often and that is are you sure your boot light is going out? Or is an interior light staying on? Having had a battery go flat in an hour after working with the door open I am very wary, if I want to do anything inside the car off goes the interior light.
Hope your problem is a little one.

thanks for this,I have been caught leaving the interior light on,this was with a Yaris some years ago,but I do,and have checked these,
going on with the tale,the dealer asked me to bring it in for checking,I asked if I could watch what happened,no problem,the guy explained the checks,the print outs etc ,did you know it takes about 2 minutes for the computer to shut down after the motor is turned off?
the current draw after that is less than 0.1 of an amp,
they did suggest it MAY be the aircon compressor clutch relay,this has a permanent power supply,and has been know to stick in the on position,therefore draining the battery,

all done whilst I waited and watched ,great service .

will let you know what happens

Tags:

anything