Author Topic: Fitting DRL to jazz  (Read 19922 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Fitting DRL to jazz
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
Personally, and it is a purely personal choice, I think DLR's, when lit, spoil the look of the latest cars. I know they are a safety thing and I have no argument against that. I just feel that, by their intensity, they take the eye away from the beauty and style of many of the latest models. As I said, just my opinion.
I am one of those people that feel that old cars, that are entitled to carry the old black and white number plates (UK), should do so. And having said that, when the reflective plates first came out I swapped the plates on my 56 Ford! Perhaps it is an age thing. The younger generation want the latest look. The older generation hark back to an earlier style!!

matty vapor

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 07:24:01 PM »
Personally, and it is a purely personal choice, I think DLR's, when lit, spoil the look of the latest cars. I know they are a safety thing and I have no argument against that. I just feel that, by their intensity, they take the eye away from the beauty and style of many of the latest models. As I said, just my opinion.
I am one of those people that feel that old cars, that are entitled to carry the old black and white number plates (UK), should do so. And having said that, when the reflective plates first came out I swapped the plates on my 56 Ford! Perhaps it is an age thing. The younger generation want the latest look. The older generation hark back to an earlier style!!

I would agree to a point, a ford capri with DRL lights would look silly, as would many older cars, and some placements of DRL lights on new cars could be a lot better. But from a safety point of view and being visible to not only other cars in daylight but also pedestrians who might spot a bright white light and not step out into the road is a plus. if they save 1 life they are worth it. Volvo had side lights on for years and were the fore runners of using daylight lights on cars as I remember. but have to agree that classic cars should be as original as possible to keep to there time in motoring history. after all we don't ban open wheelers from the road in classic form, yet as we know they would be a lot more dangerous in a crash to not only the driver but also anyone they ran into.

I was driving when seat belts were not even required, and I hated wearing one when the law changed. but now its second nature as the first thing you put on when getting into your car. DRL lights are now required by law on new cars and offer greater safety. in 15 years 95% of cars on the road will have them fitted and it will be the norm.

as for fitting the DRL lights to the Si I think they complement the car in there position. but of course this is my own opinion and subjective to point of view.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:26:48 PM by matty vapor »

3reggy

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 08:50:59 PM »
Im still saving ??

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 09:48:11 PM »

+1

Personally I think the DRL's on some cars,  particularly French ones look horrible, why do they have to be strung out in all manner of swirly shapes,  why not just a compact round, oblong or square shape.

I have fitted round ones to my motorbike simply because you need all the visibility you can get on a bike these days,  and having DRL's on other vehicles has made it even more likely that a bike will be harder to spot now that every other vehicle is lit up like Blackpool beach.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »
Hi

I personally think all DRL should be only situated below bumper level

I like the position on the SI, and I think they look lovely without detracting from the look of the jazz

I am frustrated by the DRL where they are at eye level, blinding on corners and really fed up with the big 4x4, SUV etc where they are at eye level, and when they are behind you, makes it harder to look in mirrors, akin to drivers leaving there rear fog lights on.

I think some DRL also do not reduce power upon headlights been turned on, or my eyesight is getting really bad

I suppose it's each to their own

@3reggy good luck, hope you save up soon and fit them, then that's 3 SI we know off

Many thanks

John

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »
The thing about DRL's is that the higher they are off the road the earlier people can see them (especially on roads with dips in them) and they also collect less dirt.  IMHO it is mainly those 'self-leveling' ( LOL ) laser headlights on 4x4 that cause problems,  the rear spoiler on my Civic cuts out glare from pretty much every headlight from the interior mirror except 4x4 lights as they are too high, their light also has a high blue content,  which is very 'glarey' to the human eye and can leave you blinded for a while even when the offending light has gone.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
The DRL's on both the SI's look great!

Unfortunately there's nothing for our model, except for some universal cheap bling i don't like.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
In the days of incandescent lamps the power of headlights, sidelights and brake lights were set, by law, to limit the maximum intensity of light emitted. Now, with modern light technology, the light output is many times greater. As far as I am aware, the law hasn't changed and power is still the legal requirement. This has led to lights getting brighter and brighter.
With modern vehicle instruments being illuminated whenever the ignition is turned on, and bright DRLs fitted to vehicles, I often see motorist driving, in town and after dark, with no lights to the rear, mistakenly believing their lights are on. In the "old days" your first look at the speedometer showed you that all was dark, and the mistake was quickly rectified!

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Fitting DRL to jazz
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 02:23:31 PM »
In the days of incandescent lamps the power of headlights, sidelights and brake lights were set, by law, to limit the maximum intensity of light emitted. Now, with modern light technology, the light output is many times greater. As far as I am aware, the law hasn't changed and power is still the legal requirement. This has led to lights getting brighter and brighter.
With modern vehicle instruments being illuminated whenever the ignition is turned on, and bright DRLs fitted to vehicles, I often see motorist driving, in town and after dark, with no lights to the rear, mistakenly believing their lights are on. In the "old days" your first look at the speedometer showed you that all was dark, and the mistake was quickly rectified!
In the 'old' and these days i first look outside and when it's raining or clouding dark during daylight i turn the lights on. Of course in evening always. :)
But i understand what you're saying and fully agree! I see too many cars driving in the dark with only DRL. It is dangerous, but i guess people don't think anymore!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 05:05:36 PM by jazzway »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 04:54:17 PM »
The only time I ever forget to put the lights on - and I have to admit, it does very occasionally happen - is when I get into the car in the dark, and then get distracted by something (passenger, radio, sat nav or such). But as soon as I look at the instruments I realise my mistake.
I am a great believer in dipped beam as soon as there is doubt about the visibility. I used the Volvo option of headlights on when I had my S40.

guest1372

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 04:56:46 PM »
Pleased to see these outcomes and I'm sure there are many non-members also repeating this.

Vehicle lighting colour, positioning, intensity and operation including how they are switched is ultimately governed by the UN (via EU > UK)

https://www.unece.org/?id=39139

DRLs are principally covered in r48 & r87 for example: ".... the luminous intensity of the light emitted by each lamp shall not be less than 400 cd in the axis of reference, ....  not exceed 1,200 cd in any direction the lamp is visible"

Although defining a minimum intensity may seem strange it helps avoid narrow torch beam type lights that may (dis)appear with changes in pitch or direction; there is a certain intensity that must exist within 20° each side of the driving direction and 10° above & 5° below the horizontal.

Headlight intensity, colour & beam spread are also defined, but in luminous intensity (lumen) and illuminance (in lux) no longer referring to electrical power (watts) through a standard bulb.  It is the illumination of a surface that is one of the primary measurement for low beam.  I can't give a simple maximum figure because it's several pages of tables.

The introduction of auto headlights also comes from these regulations, not from manufacturers (or the EU). 
DRLs vs headlights can be seen when comparing the two charts, followed by DRL beam intensity/angle:

--
TG

* "One lumen is one candela times one steradian, a unit solid angle which measures the directions from the source.  So the luminous flux of a source that has one candela luminous intensity in all directions is 1 x 4 x pi ∼ 12.57 lumens.

The luminous flux (in lumens) has consequences – it illuminates areas.  The luminous flux per unit area of a surface is known as the illuminance (in lux) where one lux is one lumen per squared meter (i.e. candela times steradian and per squared meter)."

guest1372

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »
I just noticed in replying to another thread that there might be provision for DRLs within the fusebox.  Fuse #15 7.5A in the under-dash fusebox is listed as "Daytime running lights relay" in some versions so checking for that I found a 5 terminal relay in a LHD car with wiring colours " BRN, WHT, RED, GRY, and LT GRN".  Maybe this is North America standard spec or Scandinavia?

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual3/en/html_en/000000000000705.html
--
TG

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 09:29:10 PM »
Hi TH

I thought I had seen reference to DRL in fuse box, but I did not understand it sorry, and did not want to cause too much time wasting of your time

Here's my 2 pics of the fuse box from the handbook, but it's very hard to follow

Many thanks

John

guest5079

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2017, 11:34:07 AM »
I have mixed feelings re DRL's but in many ways I can see the logic:
HOWEVER it appears that there are plenty of motorist who think that the DRL is all that is necessary in poor visibility. What they do not appear to realise is that although there might be front lights there are NO rear lights.
Perhaps the EU should have thought of this and when some eurocrat came up with the idea he/she should have taken a leaf from the Swedes.
As to positioning under the 'bumper' there is the possibility of falling foul of the law. Many motorists appear to believe that it is cool!!!  to drive around with their foglights on instead of side/headlights. Unless the law has changed since my days of wearing my posh blue suit with it's silver buttons, it is an offence to use lights less than ( and here my memory deserts me) I think it was 2ft from the ground in other than reduced visibility.Apart from the b things blinding you.
See and be seen was the adage we had drummed into us. Not to blind the poor beggar coming the other way.

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »
Too many drivers are now being conditioned into the belief that automation will take care of them.   Driving has never been as complicated as assembling the second stage of a Saturn V rocket, and there is no excuse for a driver not to go with the adage of "see and be seen" - unless they are under-skilled.

I like DRL's, but in reduced visibility, there seem to be many who are unable to think for themselves and don't switch on their normal headlights to ensure the back end is also lit.   The ones who switch on only their side lights are the worst of all to me, as they think those light are sufficient for others to see.

DRL's - yes.   Common sense - optional.

Tags:

anything