Author Topic: boot unlock.  (Read 3239 times)

guest6326

boot unlock.
« on: September 08, 2016, 02:06:10 PM »
Another quick one (hopefully)  if anyone can help.

My fob is only 2 button. So no boot unlock.

After I unlock the central locking, my boot doesn't unlock. I either need to press the unlock a few (usually 3 or more presses) more times to unlock the boot, or I need to try and open the boot with the catch and then press the unlock button again...is this normal go the Jazz?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: boot unlock.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:35:27 PM »
try this thread, I found that tailgate would not unlock on my MKI with central locking (even though I could hear solenoid clunking) and neither would it unlock with the 'emergency manual release (inside the tailgate next to lock, remove plastic bung to access the lever).  Found out  little plastic flap ( hidden under trim that sits below rear wiper and between number plate lights - on outside of car) that you pull to open tailgate was being impeded from spring pushing it fully forward by rust on the metal bracket,  you can either manually push plastic flap towards the door and operate central locking - or fix the problem by freeing up the plastic flapper so that spring is always able to return it to its proper 'park' position fully forward towards tailgate.

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=1849.msg21800#msg21800
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:10:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6326

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:02:02 PM »
Ahhh okie dokies.  I'll check when I get home and can sit at the car to check it.
Just picked up some WD40 too.. result. Lol

Cheers

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 05:17:45 PM »
Ahhh okie dokies.  I'll check when I get home and can sit at the car to check it.
Just picked up some WD40 too.. result. Lol

Cheers

Beware of WD40 - it's not a lubricant but a Water Dispersant - (hence the WD) - it will dissolve out any lubricant that may already be there and it will turn to glue when it dries out and attract dirt).  To be honest you will only need to scrape rust off the bracket either side of the plastic flapper to free up the mechanism - the plastic handle flap has to be fully forward towards tailgate (normally the spring takes care of it until the rust grabs the plastic and stops it going fully home) when central locking is operated otherwise it gets disconnected from the locking / unlocking part - and once it does no amount of pushing and tugging the tailgate will make it open  :-X
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:17:01 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 05:53:55 PM »
Agreeing with what's said above, a rusty bracket stops the handle from moving freely, if it's not back all the way then it can affect the central locking and the latch.  A bit of grease smeared on each side then jiggling the handle to bed it in will help.  A fingertip wipe of cooking oil would do if nothing else was to hand.  You may find that ensuring the handle is pushed all the way back every time you shut the boot helps.
--
TG

guest6326

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 06:55:28 PM »
Cheers. Seems to be doing it now.

Will keep an eye on it but fingers crossed.

Tags:

anything