Author Topic: whos still on their original exhaust?  (Read 13378 times)

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
Re: whos still on their original exhaust?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 04:07:29 PM »
My next door neighbour bought my old 52 plate Civic off me which I had from new, he informs me that it still has the same exhaust which is its original.

guest5168

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 12:46:47 AM »
380,000 km - 2003 , not a problem with exhaust , as far as I'm aware all it has ever needed was a few lightbulbs, they made me change about 20euros worth of  brakepipes tho recently but turned out to be just a bit of surface rust and wasn't actually necessary.
oh and it has droplinks changed that's it, a few lightbulbs and droplinks in 380k km.

..and a whole new rear boot lid when some ********** drove in my back recently, still going strong however I believe the thing that will kill it will be rust in next 4-5years.

I have started to think about new(used) car, but when I test drive other cars the jazz feels the most economical/practical/cheapest to run of all cars in the world...

I pay 40euros a YEAR to insure it / 35euros a year to Tax it & with LPG installed it costs me 3.30euro to do 100km or equivalent of 85-90mpg in petrol costs...Now show me a better car than that? an Mk2 perhaps.. but no1 will buy my old jazz with 380k on the clock so probably just have to drive it till it dies...whenever that happens  :'(

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 03:43:19 AM »
03 Jazz 215,000km and original exhaust
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

guest5589

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 12:27:47 PM »
187000 miles, everything original except ONE sidelight bulb and the battery (damaged cell), but on a 61 reg Jazz.

I was trying to find out where you got to as your signature was last updated at 145,000. 188 is down right superb! Fantastic!

marymck

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE 1339 cc 2006
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 07:24:52 PM »
Hellfords replaced my original exhaust and catalytic converter in November.  (2006 Jazz 60K)  There had been a slight blow on the exhaust, but they told me Honda catalytic converters only last 10 years, so best to get the whole lot done.  (Yes, I know ... but there's no emoji for a dunce's cap.)

Two months later, engine warning light came on.  The replacement (was a Klarius) catalytic converter had to be replaced.  No idea what the new one is, but Hellfords also replaced the original Honda 02 sensors as they "weren't compatible" with the new catalytic converter.

10 days after 2nd replacement cat installed, engine warning light came on again.  Same code P0420.  Now in (rather a one-way) "negotiation".

Last time, Code P0444 came on while Hellfords were working on it.  I'm trying to find out what they did to "fix" that, in case that's still an issue. 
marymck

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 07:52:19 PM »
Maybe they didn't fix it. Maybe they just reset it!

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 12:15:57 AM »
My backbox fell off on the way home from London a week or so ago. I took it to a Wilco fast fit which I have used a few times over the years and they are really good and honest. They have helped me out a couple of times. Even replaced a rubber grommet on my punto for free.

I got a new back box for £50 fitted. They did say that mid section is rusting a lot but didn't need doing yet so it might last a bit longer.

I think it's was the original exhaust but I am not 100% sure 

guest6858

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »
Mine is a 2007 with 49k and the exhaust has just started blowing behind the silencer behind the drivers door, so not for much longer. :(

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »
MARYMCK

I sympathise with you. Not shortly after getting our Jazz, nearly three yrs.' ago I decided to replace the CAT as it looked rusty and the other parts of the system has holes in it, u could heat the deep throat..

Anyway.

The first CAT and system was replaced and same code as you appeared after it was installed, bought a device to read output and as the garage who fitted the exhaust wouldn't accept the CAT and system was failed so had to get a full diagnostics on exhaust system (from different garage). Had to replace the O2 sensors which were originals on car to persuade that there was still something wrong with the exhaust system.

They decided to replace the CAT and no more issues there...

Pain the back that was.

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 05:18:23 PM »
How much are people paying for these cats? I was under the impression they were expensive. But people seem to be getting through them quickly when using an aftermarket one.

guest1372

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
Scrap value of an original cat ~£50, replacements ~£0 that must indicate something.  Clinging on to mine for dear life (rusty joint flange, loose heat shield).
--
TG

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »
... Mine cost £100 ;D  maybe.

But as I have heard of eye watering cost of new cats from Honda dealers it's worth it for a car that's worth less than £1000 sometimes.

guest6436

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 03:01:02 AM »
costs 2pounds and it's magic stuff,just putting it out there, I had a possible bill of 140 for a new exhaust when all was needed was patching up a hole where it blew.

guest1372

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »
A few have had their rear box fail by the mid to rear connection suddenly breaking, no blowing prior to this.  Unfortunately the back box is only supported at the rear so when this happens the pipe hits the road and acting like a jousters lance ready to catch in a pot hole and push the whole lot out the back.   

The pipe to joint flange and pipe to box connections look like the most likely places to fail.  One thing to check on any replacement is that they don't bolt up the rear flange tight, it's supposed to move with a fibre washer and sprung bolts; anything else could cause unwanted stresses.
--
TG

CRC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 1.4 SE Manual
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 05:55:15 PM »
My 53 plate 76k 1.4 developed a very sudden extremely loud noise the other day when my wife was driving to work. A quick check showed that the middle section had completely parted company with the first expansion box, hence the racket.

Took it to a local tyre /exhaust place who quoted £85 to replace the middle section, so left it with them, but the next day got a phone call saying that they didn't want to touch it as they had taken a look at the state of the bolts connecting the middle section to the cat flange and were basically "chickening out", worrying that I wouldn't be too happy at shelling out for a new cat ... and they were probably right.

He seemed to think that all it needed was to be re-welded and recommended a guy with a small workshop who turned out to be excellent at his job. We both took a look and I was very surprised to find that the metal was still bright on the inside, and that effectively it was the weld that had cracked rather than the pipe that had rotted out.

A quick dressing with a grinder and 20 minutes with a mig welder resulted in a very quiet exhaust again, with a much bigger weld fillet to stop it happening again.

He also knew exactly how to get the flange bolts sorted if it needed doing in the future, but reckoned that the exhaust was good for a few years yet, and having seen the good condidtion of the metal once the light surface rust is brushed off, I tend to agree with him.

There's no doubt that Honda original exhausts are quality items ..... 14 years old and still strong.

Tags:

anything