Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Electric cars
« Last post by Jocko on February 21, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
Some cars are fitted with two. My Volvo had one but its siblings, with a better spec, had two. I noticed that all the electrics were there. The actual light cluster has a knock out in place to stop another bulb being fitted so I "knocked it out" and ended up with two.
Actually, having one, to differentiate it from brake lights would be fine - if half the country were not driving round with only one brake light working!
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Auto idle stop on CVT, neutral and other issues.
« Last post by Jocko on February 21, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
I never show any courtesy to BMW drivers. I have to admit it makes me as bad as they are, and I know they are not all as we see them. Still, I have been soured by experience!
Today there was a BMW pushing his out of a very tight side road on the right. As he needed both sides of the road clear to get out, he had to wait until I got past. There was a solitary vehicle coming from the other direction, so I slowed down slightly so he would have to wait on it too, but no, as soon as I passed he pulled straight out into the path of the approaching car. So it was really the other poor driver I inconvenienced.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Wind powered ferry.
« Last post by Jocko on February 21, 2018, 01:35:43 PM »
They are also starting to produce energy from tidal turbines, which is a much overlooked renewable resource, due in the past to lack of funding and little research.
« Last post by TG on February 21, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »
.... a Tesla passed me on the A30 last Monday in thick fog. Is it battery capacity that meant it has only one rear fog light? I wish I could convert my nearside rear light cluster to accept a rear fog bulb.
A single fog light on the offside is used to prevent confusion with brake lights. Type approval from UNece regs governs it's position, intensity etc.
--
TG
« Last post by auntyneddy on February 21, 2018, 12:21:29 PM »
I did wonder if the link would work as it was bounced back from Canada, thank you Jocko for finding one that worked. Still and amazing feat!!!!
As an aside a Tesla passed me on the A30 last Monday in thick fog. Is it battery capacity that meant it has only one rear fog light? I wish I could convert my nearside rear light cluster to accept a rear fog bulb.
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: I-SHIFT failure
« Last post by auntyneddy on February 21, 2018, 12:16:21 PM »
My Ishift came with 2 yrs warranty. They argued about the brakes, fixed after a strong word. Car had full Honda service history which of course you don't see. Then I found that the brake fluid had not been changed at 3 yrs. They did this again after a strong word. The rust that appeared within 3 months was a case of you can buy a touch up pen!!!!!!When I mentioned this to Honda, it was very much ignored. So, my only dealings with a main dealer will be  the ONLY one I shall have. As to the warranty, it was all in the price nothing free about it. I looked into the warranty question and as Jocko puts it, cost of repairs against many 100's per annum, which is the best bet given the reliability of the Jazz?  I had my last service done locally, when I wanted it done, no hanging around lift home and collected when ready and a bill for 150 including changing the Ishift box oil ( I supplied this) and a MOT.
« Last post by auntyneddy on February 21, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
Yesterday, going to have the tracking checked, stopped at T junction where my road joins another. Opposite BMW reversing out of driveway into throat of junction so I stopped, as a pound to a penny he wasn't going to, and waited. He just reversed out into the junction looked at me as most BMW drivers look at the Jazz and drove off. No thank you  nuffin. Nothing to do with stop start as such but blame Culzean for his comment re BMW. Well I stopped and he started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last post by sparky Paul on February 21, 2018, 11:45:43 AM »
It's something that they have already mooted up in Orkney where they are using the stored hydrogen while the internal North Isles ferries are in dock.

The problem at the moment is that the internal fleet is at the end of it's life, and there is no real consensus what the future will be - more fixed road links or new boats. New boats could mean hydrogen-powered, but the Council doesn't have the money to properly fund any of the available options. The internal ferry operator in Orkney is a private operator wholly owned by Orkney Islands Council, and current thinking at OIC is to offload Orkney Ferries to the Scottish Government, or in other words nationalise it.

The Western Isles already have a similar arrangement, the main operator CalMac is owned by the Scottish Government, and several new boats have been funded recently.

Whilst national usage of wind power varies a great deal, there are areas like Orkney which have a much more reliable supply of wind power, and Orkney is self sufficient in electricity generation for the vast majority of the time. Indeed, Orkney usually has a surplus and exports electricity, but further development of wind generation is being curtailed by the size of the cable between Orkney and Scotland.
« Last post by culzean on February 21, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »
How about a wind powered ferry? Well sort of. Earlier I posted links to the wind and water powered turbines, generating energy in Orkney, and how they had a surfeit of energy they were turning into hydrogen. Well now they are looking at the feasibility of a new ferry powered by the hydrogen, and not just while in port.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43140326

To the visitor to Orkney, the wind is perhaps the most commented aspect of the islands' weather. Even in the summer there is an almost constant breeze (usually a Force three or four on average) and this can give a biting edge to the warmest of days.

UK is one of the windiest places on the planet and even we can't get anything useful out of wind power,  wind is loafing along at less than 2% today (of 45GW) and solar less than 5% -  Coal, Nuclear and Gas working flat out as usual.  Thank goodness we don't rely on renewables for all our power needs.
« Last post by culzean on February 21, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »
I'll find out tomorrow when I pick up my CVT. From what you say Mike, presumably there is no way round, on the Honda system, the blinding of drivers behind with your brake lights if you use stop start?
In my experience of rush-hour driving most of them deserve to be punished anyway  :P

Really bad attitude alert  :o  :o
Nah, showing respect to rush-hour drivers just makes you look weak. Especially when you're driving a Jazz. Other drivers probably think you're a retiree who shouldn't be on the road at that time anyway  :P

I have found over many years of driving that when you show some sympathy for other roads users it is contagious, when you let someone into traffic from a side road or some other courteous act they often do the same to others as you follow them.  This horrible 'dog-eat-dog' 'every man for themselves' attitude is getting worse on our roads, is adding to commuters frustrations and it is also contagious.  A little kindness and consideration goes a long way... as I said earlier treat others as you would like to be treated.

I make an exception for BMW and Audi drivers through - but even that could be learned behaviour because of the way they treat other road users (mostly with utter disdain).  I knew a bloke who had always had Jags and he thought it would be nice to have a BMW,  he did not keep it long because he noticed a massive increase in what he called 'road rage' by other drivers, who would not let him into traffic etc...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]