Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
I paid 555 for the 5 year package 2 years ago, and it is very good value. It does include consumables such as oils etc, but not discs, pads and tyres.  So far after 22,000 miles and 2 services I have paid nothing.  I will have to pay for MOT when due.  I thought Honda care, or certainly roadside assistance, was also for 5 years, but I may be wrong. 350 for 2 years extra may not be such a good deal - they are very reliable cars!  With my Mk 2 Jazz, I took out a 2 year extension after 5 years ( I.e. Up to 7 years) and this included service, MOT and roadside assistance, but not warranty.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Autonomous vehicles.
« Last post by ColinB on April 18, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »
I think a fully autonomous AV needs to be exactly that. If it cannot be fully autonomous, then it will always be some form of driver assist, and therefore there needs to be a driver.
... the government's "The Pathway To Driverless Cars" differentiates between Highly Autonomous Vehicles (driver required) and Fully Autonomous Vehicles (where no driver is required).

I thought the definition of "Fully Autonomous" meant a driver is not required in normal operation. But does even a "Fully Autonomous" car need an alert driver capable of taking over in fault or unexpected conditions ? That does seem to be the suggestion in the Venturer report. If "Fully Autonomous" means the car must be capable of managing all unexpected or fault conditions (including system failures) without intervention, we are a very very long way from that and it may not be achievable. All systems built by man will have a failure rate, no matter how small they are, the best that can be expected is that the engineers can get the failure rate (aka fatality rate) for AVs below that for human drivers. But that's still going to involve people being killed by robot cars, which tends to make Joe Public sit up and pay attention.

On the subject of handover from computer to human when the computer decides it can't cope, there's an interesting example from the world of civil aviation. Flying commercial aeroplanes is highly regulated, highly automated, and the pilots have to pass all kinds of competency tests. But yet the pilots of Air France 447 made a mess of it when the computer handed control back to them because of unreliable data, and they managed to stall the thing all the way down into the Atlantic Ocean. If that kind of highly trained team can get it so horribly wrong, what chance does Mrs Bloggs texting in her AV whilst on the school run have when the computer says "No" ?
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Autonomous vehicles.
« Last post by sparky Paul on April 18, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
Not much use as you slide on black ice or plough towards a group of nuns on a zebra crossing!

Even a human pair of eyeballs will struggle to see those!  ;D
Thanks for the quick comments guys - makes me feel more comfortable to know that there is an informed and helpful crowd out there. 

It really does sound like a no-brainer unless you cannot find the cash upfront.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/campaigns/599-servicing.html

Details of both are here.

So 5 yrs service is 599 and *if* you buy that then the 2 yr warranty and recovery extension is 350

Thanks
Tim

Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Occasional thump from the boot area.
« Last post by sparky Paul on April 18, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »
It was the first time I checked what was in the tool bag, and was surprised to find they had never been used. Neither has the spare wheel. I realise they may gave been replaced some time recently. The tyre certainly doesn't look 12 years old.

Probably hasn't, tyres barely deteriorate if they're kept out of sunlight.
Hi Ken,

I see the picture now. Those are oil guide plates, you need to replace these as you found them.

You may (or may not) also find thrust shims in there too, check carefully and replace them when reassembling.

I've not been on since yesterday, just picked up your messages and replied.  ;)
My package did nott include 5 years of breakdown cover, hopefully I will not need it in year 4 or 5.

I thought breakdown cover was part of the Warranty, not the Service Package ?
I have had the service package on all 3 of my Jazz's and it has included consumables, I have not paid for a service since 2009 and my current Jazz is covered until 2020. My package did nott include 5 years of breakdown cover, hopefully I will not need it in year 4 or 5.
I also think the 5 year service plan is a no-brainer. The plan belongs to the vehicle so any residual services ought to be reflected in the price should you sell before the plan is used up.

We don't read of many problems with Honda vehicles which would have been covered by a two year warranty extension. Ozzie's recent gearbox problem with his Hybrid Jazz was after 6 1/2 years (and 1/4 million miles!). I recall that at one stage vehicles serviced by the Honda agents were getting an extension of the Hondacare breakdown recovery cover. Is this still the case?
The service package is great value for money.In my opinion it's a no brainer. When it expires after 5 years, Honda servicing costs a lot more.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]