Author Topic: First morning engine start taking time  (Read 2878 times)

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
First morning engine start taking time
« on: November 29, 2015, 07:33:57 AM »
This is a 2012 model Jazz and has covered 45000km

Starting first thing in the morning (ambient temp about 22 deg, since it is summer here) takes 3 or 4 seconds, where prior to this it was virtually instant.  When the engine is warm, it starts immediately

Honda w/shop told me plugs needed replacement, but quoted an astronomical price to do it, so I purchased 4 x NGK IZFR6K13 and changed them myself.  It improved for 5 days, now is getting sluggish again

Battery at rest measures 12.44 volts.  Car does a lot of short trips, so maybe battery is on its way out? 
If music be the food of love, play on

guest5669

Re: First morning engine start taking time
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:24:10 AM »
Yep sounds like your battery needs updating very common on the Jazz , you've had a result if you got three years from the old one. ;D

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »
Just as a suggestion, try starting it from cold with a jump start and see if it starts instantly . . . .thats the effect a new battery will have, if it still takes a few seconds, then its something else.

guest5669

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 02:13:09 PM »
I'm on my second Jazz and both them needed new batteries. If it is that i'd recommend buying a heavy-duty type otherwise it can become a false economy calling out breakdown services or jump starts. The other week I left my lights on whilst sat in the car for about 7 mins turned the key and wouldn't start so it doesn't take much ?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 06:18:06 PM »
12.4 volts should be OK (after letting battery stand for at least an hour after charging), anything less than 12 means battery is pretty much dead  - maybe check and clean connections between post and clamps and also the earth (negative) connection to bodywork.

On every car I have owned I fitted an extra earth cable straight from negative terminal to the the engine block to bypass dodgy connections to body work,  extra cable just makes sure you get full staring amps to starter motor (could be over 200 amps,  even on a Jazz).

I have had 'lazy' starter motors on other cars,  but never a Honda (the coils or armature brushes have developed problems).

may be dirty injectors,  try putting some RedeX in fuel tank to clean varnish off nozzles (they have very fine holes in them and can get blocked with fuel residue,   as we all know petrol is made of dead dinosaurs).

see this thread for advice on batteries

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7524.0
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:21:21 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

chrisc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »
Excellent sir, I'll try your suggestions. 

In 1955 my father had a Buick, a real American gas guzzler.  The battery (huge) in this V8 lasted 18 years.  He sold it in 1961 and the new owner reported the battery lasted until 1973
If music be the food of love, play on

guest5731

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 05:56:01 AM »
In my opinion it is possible to enable shaft Position Sensor.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9505

Tags:

anything