Author Topic: GD -vs- GE Build Quality  (Read 8794 times)

stuartbooth

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 100
GD -vs- GE Build Quality
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:10:25 AM »
My first Jazz was a 2004 1.4 SE Sport (8 plugs) which I ran for 126,000 miles with no problems and which only required a new battery. It was tight, responsive with a smooth, but firm ride. It did what you expected of the Brand.

My current Jazz is a 60 Reg 2010/11 EX 100 (iVtec) which is decaying around me. My latest M.O.T. two weeks ago revealed Rear discs >50% worn, Both Rear Shock absorbers leaking, with accompanying Bumps and Vibrations, Clutch Master Cylinder Leaking and squeaking and this week the AA fitted a new battery.

The main dealer estimate for the work is £1,100 after only 53,000 miles. My Wife and I have retired and this was to be our lovely retirement car. Can this really be the same manufacture as our 2004 model?

All comments and advice welcome.

Stuart & Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: GD -vs- GE Build Quality
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »
Did your jazz pass the MOT ie advisory remarks or does work need to be undertaken before retesting?
I would take the Jazz to another local garage and get them to check the items mentioned by your dealer, their cost seems excessive.
We have run Jazz's since 2002 and now on our 5th built quality fine and the ride of our 2011 model is much better than the early models.
 some garages look for problems try another garage.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »
Looks like you have been a bit unlucky Stuart. My 2010 Jazz is of a similar age to yours but I haven't had these problems. Then again mine has only done 18,000 miles.

But I was thinking back to my 2007 plate Civic. I had to have a new clutch master cylinder at 35,000 miles and new front brake discs and pads at around the same time. The clutch problem is a known issue with the Civic however.

guest5185

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 05:05:06 PM »
As mentioned elsewhere discs and pads are a moneyspinner for dealers, worth getting a second opinion.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »
I think you're unlucky - the model has a very good record.  My 2008 GE (63000 miles) has needed no non- routine maintenance work, although I've now had a recall re the passenger airbag.  The garage reported an oil leak in 2014, which I ignored as I'ld seen no evidence.  It was not mentioned at the 2015 service!

stuartbooth

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:26:11 AM »
Thanks Guys (& Gals). I get the feeling that you too are surprised at the severity of the wear and tear.

The trouble is I can't deny the work needs to be done (they sent me a Video of their inspection!). I have till end of January to do the brakes/discs, but the rest is voluntary.

I have the money, but I confess that despite your assurances, I am unsure as to whether THIS Car could be restored to Brand expectation.

https://video.citnow.com/vxFCRv8nTzv   

stuartbooth

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:32:47 AM »
Any preferences for Tyres...?

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »
Could it be the fact that the majority of GD build (pre 2007) was made in Japan and GE (post 2009) was UK built with a lot of locally sourced components from UK and Europe (early 2008 GE was also made in Japan) the latest Mk 3 Jazz coming into the UK are also Japanese built

stuartbooth

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 06:32:18 PM »
O.M.G.  I'd like to bet that's the answer Thanks for that

I am sure going to check that one. If that is the case I'm going to be asking for one big refund.

WATCH THIS SPACE !!!

Stu.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 08:23:03 AM »
Any preferences for Tyres...?

Continental Winter ones, just like the ones I am selling... he he.  ;)

stuartbooth

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »
He He indeed!

Sadly these days I have to buy my own - no more Company Volvo estates.

So go on make me laugh   

Honda Jazz Continental   £-------

Stu.

stuartbooth

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »
Thank goodness for the WW Web.

I would never have thought of this myself, but with your help and a bit of spade work, (the VIN number) I have found out that the original Jazz 1.4SE was built in Japan, the current Jazz 1.4EX was MADE IN ENGLAND

I've checked all my documents and I can't find any mention of this.

At my age (67) I have lived through the death of the UK car industry, often said to be a quality issue and there is no way that I would have bought a car that was assembled in England.

Not sure of my next move - any advice is welcome especially if you are an experienced legal eagle. Is this the responsibility of Honda or the Dealer for not allowing me to make an informed decision? They cannot say that the Cars are built to the same standard - I have the proof they are not!

guest5770

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 12:35:06 PM »
I can't imagine that the dealer could be held responsible for not telling you where your car was built. If he had lied to you about it you would have been misinformed, but if you didn't ask...

Do you have a full Honda service history?

If so have you asked the dealer for a goodwill contribution to the repair costs?

stuartbooth

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 01:32:46 PM »
I was told it was a Company Car
Mileage 15,367
Registered 2010 (10/11) OV60WZZ

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »
He He indeed!

Sadly these days I have to buy my own - no more Company Volvo estates.

So go on make me laugh   

Honda Jazz Continental   £-------

Stu.

I have a thread for the sale of them in the For Sale section here, and they are on eBay with a Buy It Now price of £90 for the set of four. A bargain if you ask me.

Not sure where they were made though!

Tags:

anything