Author Topic: Extended warranty for GE  (Read 5539 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Extended warranty for GE
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:19:04 AM »
 :-\   My 1.4 manual GE is 3 years old in October, and when booking an annual service and MOT, I was offered an extended warranty  for up to two years at £275 p.a., payable up front or monthly.  This seems a reasonable price, but as my car is low mileage (27000) and the Jazz is famously reliable, I am inclined to carry the risk myself.  Is this the same price as for the GD?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Extended warranty for GE
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
I would only grab the offer if it includes the routine servicing. If it's just insurance against something breaking then I would also carry the risk.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Downsizer

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:02:50 AM »
The extended warranty offer is for insurance only.  I already have the routine servicing covered for 5 years in the initial £550 deal.  The forthcoming MOT will be the first expenditure apart from fuel.

guest1521

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
Pretty sure I wouldn't be at all interested in the warranty. Any fine-print catches?

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:05:01 AM »
Personally, I wouldnt bother extending the warrenty.

When I had my Civic Type R- I thought about extending the warrenty- think it was about the same price £550 over 2 years, but decided not to due to Honda's reputation on reliability.

Kept the Type R for a total of 7.5yrs and never had I had a problem with it and doubt the Jazz will give me much trouble

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 05:11:24 PM »
I have extened warranty for a 2007 Jazz.  When I tried to get the dealer to look at the leak in the boot they claimed the extended warranty is only good for mechanical stuff and not body work  >:(

guest907

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »
That's the problem with vehicle extended warranty...not just Honda. You have to read the policy to see what it won't cover.

Its also known as Mechanical Breakdown Insurance, in other words there has to be a 'failure' of the component for example the alternator stops charging the battery (covered) as against it simply being noisy.

Always check the small print.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 10:50:10 AM »
I asked the service manager about it on our GD Jazz and he said it's not necessary and that they would "look after me" if we had any problems.  Never had to test that so don't know if it would work in practice.

On our GE I bought the extended warranty at the same time as I bought the car.  Honda were offering a discount on the 5yr servicing at the time and my thinking was that we'd have both servicing and warranty covered for 5yrs.  With the extra electronics in the EX I thought it was worth it for peace of mind.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 11:55:30 AM »
i got my 2 years extra warranty and breakdown cover for free when i got my new jazz in march from swansway honda in manchester

i did not buy the service package though as i intend to go the 12 month or 12500 route for serving and pay each time
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:01:38 PM by monkeydave »

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »

i did not buy the service package though as i intend to go the 12 month or 12500 route for serving and pay each time

It still would have been cheaper to buy the servicing package, wouldn't it?

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 02:19:14 PM »
i dont think it would, i think if they already got your money they will get you in and out as fast as they can and not do a proper job on the car

Rory

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »
i dont think it would, i think if they already got your money they will get you in and out as fast as they can and not do a proper job on the car

That's always a concern with servicing packages, but the reality is that's how cars are serviced anyway these days.  "Service" is pretty well an oil and filter change and a few checks - the days of things like stripping and cleaning the brakes are long gone.

Tags:

anything