Author Topic: ABS issues  (Read 20316 times)

guest5128

ABS issues
« on: November 23, 2014, 09:00:46 PM »
I have recently purchased a Honda Jazz 2005 1.4 DSI SE from a friend, the car itself is fantastic, like I keep telling other friends it's the most practical car in the world :D. My only issue is the ABS light seems to have a mind of its own, and my trust in a garage successfully diagnosing the fault is slipping.
The ABS light first popped on after about 4 months of driving it, I do about 45 miles a day to and from work so I am guessing the fault was not there when I brought it. I booked it into my local Honda garage and when I picked it up I was pleasantly pleased and relieved that they said they checked it over and could not find the cause of the problem, they had checked for loose connections and reset it and test ran and the fault had cleared, I believed them and was happy that this may be a common thing they deal with and were not pasting over there failings to pick up the root cause. Anyway the light came back on a couple of weeks later and every time I went to pick up the phone and re book it in the fault cleared, the light became so temperamental, it never seemed to trigger at a certain point it just seemed to have a mind of its own and then with no warning would clear for a day or two. I decided to book it into an independent garage close to where I live as it had been on constant for about a week. When the mechanic plugged their computer in to read the codes (which incidentally the ABS light had cleared when they turned it on) the first code was a battery fault code, he ran it again and different codes came up but amongst it all was the battery fault code. They tested the battery and found it 'weak' when under load and recommended I tried changing that. My national automotive break down company (RAC) had and still has a deal on where members can have a car battery fitted for free, so I thought rather than get myself dirty I might as well take them up on that deal. When they came to change my battery they to tested the battery and confirmed that it was shot and changing it would probably help my ABS issue as low voltage would make the ABS sensor control go barmy and fail. That was yesterday and tonight I have driven into work and I hadn't even got to the bottom of my road and the ABS light is illuminating again, when I pulled over and turned the engine off then on again, the ABS light comes on but flickers once briefly as the system turns on, on the first twist of the key prior to ignition. I have just gone out there to test it once more and now the ABS light is not even flickering at this stage and is fixed on.

I am getting a bit disheartened as its costing me £55  to get the codes read each time and no one is filling me full of confidence they can repair it, most alarmingly Honda didn't even detect my battery was shot.
Has anyone else had similar problems out there with their ABS? Or has someone got comprehensive knowledge of the Honda Jazz ABS system to help me?

Thanks for reading and any help you can give

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
Re: ABS issues
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:48:37 PM »

You may have dodgy earth or connection somewhere.  Could be the abs reluctor ring in the disc/hub that needs cleaned or replaced. Could be pickup sensor or wiring adjacent to wheel........not sure of locations of these components' Was there not an issue with the abs block on those models?  That usually sits below brake master cylinder.  Don't touch that ATM till simple issues are checked.
     I have not been in about a Jazz much.  Leave the light till Mot time?  Research meanwhile.

Diagnostics do not always come up with the answer. Lots of faults do not show and other checking needs done.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:05:17 AM »
I have solved ABS problems by testing with a multimeter. It takes time . And some knowledge of the wiring system. And how ABS works (I learned from reading !)

You also need a garage with a competent person who knows what they are doing.. Honda diagnostic tools are best.
Intermittent faults are a pia.

You really need a competent person who understands how to test for electrical faults..

guest4642

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
bought a new bearing put in my car with  the correct side facing the sensor, went for a drive and abs light came on and stay on, i did not know at that time the bearing was a china import. Anyway i was convince it was the bearing, even tested the magnet side of the bearing and seem ok. But after sending the bearing back and bought an english bearing.the abs went away,and have for the last 8 months. be careful what you get off ebay

guest5128

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 03:56:48 AM »
Thanks all of you for the replies, it's good to try and grasp a subtle understanding before I try my luck with the garage again, so they cannot blind me with waffle.
I have just noticed when I filled my car up with petrol the abs light is now off and for the first time in ages the light has stayed off for more than a few meters, is there any link between fuel and abs? Crazy as it sounds I know but last time i noticed this happened as well but didn't think much of it, and it came back on after about a day.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »
, is there any link between fuel and abs?

Other than that the car gets heavier as you put the fuel in then no there isn't.

I had a similar problem with a Jazz in that the ABS warning light didn't go out after start-up and stayed on until I got to the road when it went out and stayed out.

This was put down to possibly a piece of muck in the ABS sensor system on one wheel causing the sensor to send false information and hence putting the light on.

I am not exactly sure where on each wheel the ABS sensors are but a spray with a hose on the back of each wheel might clear any crud from the sensors.

Vic.

guest5128

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 08:42:44 PM »
I have finally got the fault diagnosed by Honda as an ABS modulator fault and will require that to be changed. The bad news is they quoted me £1450 to do it. So I am now going down the route of a refurbished one. Does any one know of a decent website for refurbished ABS modulators that delivers in the UK?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

guest4512

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 09:07:17 PM »
I have finally got the fault diagnosed by Honda as an ABS modulator fault and will require that to be changed. The bad news is they quoted me £1450 to do it. So I am now going down the route of a refurbished one. Does any one know of a decent website for refurbished ABS modulators that delivers in the UK?

This company are well regarded.  Your car will be off the road for a wee while - http://www.ecutesting.com

guest5128

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 09:23:37 PM »
Thanks moob, I was kinda hoping if there is a site that offers refurbished modulator/pumps off the shelf rather than having to strip mine off get it refurbished then fitted, although that is probably a safer option.

guest5128

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 10:06:40 PM »
Just thought I would update on the issue, it's finally fixed!!!!. I brought a modulator pump from the breakers yard using the website 1st choice spares. I fitted it myself with a mate this evening and instantly light went off. Doing it this only cost roughly £160 much cheaper than the brand new Honda Fitment at £1450.
Fingers crossed that's that problem laid to rest

Thanks for help guys

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »
Good news, glad you got your car fixed.

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 06:17:58 PM »
i had a jazz 1.4 idsi 2007, my abs light was on last year, took it to honda and it said abs modualtor faulty, cost £1450 inc vat and labour, fortunately car was on extended warranty so had it fixed foc

This was my 2nd jazz the previous also had abs fault so think its common for early jazzes for the abs to fail, now got a 2,2 civic gen 8 different to the jazz

Tags:

anything