Author Topic: Gearbox / clutch issues - Friday afternoon car?  (Read 8560 times)

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
Re: Gearbox / clutch issues - Friday afternoon car?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »
I agree with JR, I went to a recreation park (sloping car park) in Kent last weekend and came across a fairly new VW Camper van had rolled circa 20 meters into another parked car. Would have been avoided most likely by applying a gear when parking.

It seems that this technique drummed into my head by my father is good advice on new and old (vintage) cars :)

guest6630

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
The rear disc brakes will always stick on in wet or damp conditions, l notice this most after l have washed the car and it is not used until the next day or next time it used. This is because rust will form aroumd the brake pads and
as they are held in place by the handbrake they effectualy adhere to the discs, unless any water or moisture is dried off immediately (impractical unless you take take the car for a run in dry conditions) you cannot prevent it from happening. Drum brakes are less prone to this.My Mk2 Jazz was just the ssme as was the Toyota l had previously. Once the car is mobile this will disappear and is no detriment to the vehicle. Incidentally l also have had clutch problems which l shall post about later.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »
I had a warranty gearbox change on a Volvo, the dealer told me they could not open it up to see what was wrong although they suspected a failed input shaft bearing as Volvo would strip it for analysis for a potential claim against their parts supplier.

Madelvic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: EX Navi
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 05:09:34 PM »
An update to my initial post.  Local dealer had our car for 6 days, diagnosed a failed gearbox mount.  Apparently it is filled with fluid, not ours, it had leaked.  Took two days to get the part goes someway to explaining why they had the car Mon through Sat.

It has fixed two of the problems.  The 'clonk' has gone, as has the clutch judder.  Makes sense if the gearbox/engine was moving on a failed mount

The gear change isn't fixed and I'll be pursuing this further.  It is still very stiff going into first, more than half the time.  Playing with it at the weekend.  Engine/transmission warmed.  Stop at lights, into neutral, clutch up.  Depress clutch, into first and STIFF.  Keep foot on clutch and it goes in and out of first oh so easy after the first time.

Now do the same, but after going into first, bring clutch back up and down again.  Each time I do this it is a big push to get the car in gear

I'm guessing it is a synchro problem or clutch issue as I think the synchro is being forced each time, first time.  Once it is in gear, in and out of neutral with the clutch depressed is how I think the car should be

I've bought a cheap set of Argos scales so I can try and measure the force to put the car in gear

To other Jazz owners:  is the effort to put you car in first gear the same as moving it in and out of gear with he clutch in?

Thanks all for our comments

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 06:57:26 PM »
The manual gearbox Jazz's that I have driven have all been completely effortless to put into gear and move in and out of gear.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 07:07:24 PM »
The manual gearbox Jazz's that I have driven have all been completely effortless to put into gear and move in and out of gear.

Vic.

Same here,  Jazz gearbox is a joy to use,  as is the Civic box
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »

Vic.
Same here.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 09:10:54 AM »
Same here. It took a while getting used to having a sixth gear (especially it's position) but otherwise perfectly fine(*). The OP definitely still has a fault that needs resolving.

(*)The clutch bite point was a bit tricky but since they were courtesy cars I just compensated with the accelerator pedal :D

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 12:37:20 PM »
An update to my initial post.  Local dealer had our car for 6 days, diagnosed a failed gearbox mount.  Apparently it is filled with fluid, not ours, it had leaked.
Thanks.
Do you remember which mount had run out? The higher mount  near the left wheel (nr.8 ) or the lower rear one (nr.9)?
I hope the nr9...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:27:03 PM by jazzaro »

Tags:

anything