Author Topic: Changing wheels for mpg  (Read 7252 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Changing wheels for mpg
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 03:38:27 PM »
The manual gearbox Jazz's that I have driven have all been geared at about 23mph/1000rpm in top gear so at 70mph that's about 3000rpm.
Of five Jazz's that I have owned their speedometers have all read 2mph high at speeds above 30mph when compared to a satnav.
The rev counter and speedometer are both driven electronically not by cables, does your car have a problem?

Vic.

Same here, those revs and Speedo reading look well high, looks like you have a problem Houston
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 06:34:04 PM »
I run bridgestones on it at the moment

And ref the rpm it's probably about 3800 at 70 (well gps 70 which is about 76 on my speedo)

It might be idea to let the forum know the model/year of your car. eg 2012 EX CVT at 70mph = 2k rpm
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:28:23 PM by olduser1 »

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »
Sorry not meaning to sound rude but you are aware it's a 5 speed gearbox? My wife didn't use 5th for two years as she found it not worth the effort!

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 06:08:44 PM »
7mph to high sounds like a problem. I checked my 2008 SE CVT Jazz spedo with the satnav and it was spot on, within less than 1 degree.

guest6436

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 12:42:26 AM »
The only legal tyre sizes you can fit are on the tyre information plate on drivers door pillar.  175/65 R15 and 185/55 R16 I think,  anything else and insurance may be compromised.
What a load of nonsense!

guest5770

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 08:17:43 AM »
That's a bold statement. Care to elaborate with some evidence?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 08:24:24 AM »
The only legal tyre sizes you can fit are on the tyre information plate on drivers door pillar.  175/65 R15 and 185/55 R16 I think,  anything else and insurance may be compromised.
What a load of nonsense!

https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/news/the-relationship-between-your-tyres-and-car-insurance-what-you-did-not-know

If you go away from standard size(s) as shown in handbook or on tyre sticker you should tell insurance company.  My wifes MK2 has two sizes shown, my Civic has only 1 size show.  Sticker also shows proper tyre pressure.  Insurance will give your car a good going over if you have an accident and different tyre size to standard OEM can be deemed as making your car unroadworthy
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 02:34:34 PM »
Whether we like it or not the manufacturer and the tyre companies work to achieve what is best for performance/wear/grip and fuel consumption. What is regularly overlooked is just how little of our vehicles are in contact with the road. Buying the best we can afford is not a luxury it is in some cases a life saver.
Two points) One several years back I attended a Road Traffic Accident. A Vauxhall Cavalier had spun and turned over. It was a Reps car and he had loaded his boot with carpet samples. His rear tyres were completely devoid of tread and so on a double bend the pendulum effect had caused him to hit the kerb and turn over. His excuse, I haven't got time to take it for tyres WRONG: Fine:Points: and no Insurance pay out. Pretty expensive episode.
Second point was I was horrified to see that it had actually been suggested to fit 4 space savers on a car that was used on a motorway. I understood that there was a stipulated limit on the number of space savers that could be fitted at any given time and there is also a maximum speed to be adhered to.
We me included are not enthusiastic  about insurance companies but they are a necessary evil and they have enough cowboys trying to pull fast ones without joe public trying to be smart. My philosophy is tell your Insurer whatever you do to the car, they in turn will soon tell you if they are interested or not. If you don't then you must reap the consequences.
3000 revs at 70mph. still returning 45 ish to the gallon.

Jeffyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »
i always tell the insurance companies when i change cars they generally dont care but i make sure they have it logged down.  I put a 2 litre engine in my old vauxhall nova and my insurance went down??. even though i had taken it from 70bhp to 190bhp.

i think they just have a random price generator lol

Tags: